Cleaning a new 4.0 V6

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been cleaning engines the same way for the last 20 years with no issue. I'm not sure why I'm so hesitant this time on cleaning this one, but I am. Usually when you buy a new car the engine is clean. Not so with this one LOL. The engine is a bit dirty because the truck sat through the winter months. Would you wash it by hand or gently hose it off? The coil packs are exposed and I'd cover them. The alternator sits low on this truck. Otherwise it looks pretty covered.

[Linked Image]

Run a wash mitt over it during your normal wash and gently rinse it.

I normally do jambs, trunk, hood, and wheels in that order with their own bucket and before washing the rest of the car.

Not a bad idea. I don't see the point of using Simple Green HD when there is no grease. It's just dust/dirt. I think I'm going to take your advice.
thumbsup2.gif

Usually I go to a self serve car wash, spray everything with Gunk, blast it with the high pressure soap and finish with high pressure rinse. Obviously, don't aim the hose directly to electrical connectors or modules, and if you think it may give you trouble starting, keep it running while spraying. If it's just light dirt like on yours, you can replace the Gunk with something milder like 409 and rinse with a garden hose at home.

I recall seeing some vehicles back in my consumer car repair days, wherein the owners periodically washed the engine bay. To their credit, they appeared spotless. Why did I see them?, because they wouldn't run properly. I found quite a few corroded connectors.

My advice: leave it alone

If you insist, I'd suggest going on a long drive afterward to hopefully dry everything.

Originally Posted by 02SE
I recall seeing some vehicles back in my consumer car repair days, wherein the owners periodically washed the engine bay. To their credit, they appeared spotless. Why did I see them?, because they wouldn't run properly. I found quite a few corroded connectors.

Maybe cars from the 60's and 70's, but the underhood electronics of any car in the last 30 years is pretty well sealed. When did GM start using Weather Pack https://www.weatherpack.com/ connectors?

Originally Posted by maxdustington
Clean engine bay = rusty engine bay.

You act as if engine compartments are hermetically sealed.

Dirty engine bay = implies neglected engine, at least to potential buyers when you are selling. At least that's what I would think when I'm buying.

I'm referring to cars from the 80's to current models.

I have friends who are still in the consumer car repair business, who see the same thing periodically.

I have friends who are still in the consumer car repair business, who see the same thing periodically.

I mean, I can appreciate that a careless person trying to do good forcing water into place that it doesn't belong, but...

A once over with a wash mitt and then a rinse with a gentle stream isn't going to hurt a thing in the short or long term.

I hit a big puddle in my Atlas and I found dirty water stains on the hood lining. Engines get wet in daily use.

When the engine is cold, I very gently spray car wash soap all over it. I let it set a few minutes and wipe down with a mit the painted metal parts, plastic covers, and fluid reservoirs. I then rinse very gently, followed by blowing dry with a leaf blower. I then drive it for 10-15 minutes to finish the drying. I've done this with every engine I've ever owned. They all look great and you can spot leaks and problems more quickly. I've never had an electrical issue or even a rough idle with any of them, ever. I started this with an 82 Pontiac J2000 and every car since. I've always gotten top dollar when selling them.

Oh, I left out one thing. If there is any gunky grease or oil, I hit that spot with engine degreaser, let it set, and sometimes hit it with an old toothbrush. That always takes care of it. Again, this helps to spot leaky gaskets or hoses.

I've never bothered to cover anything or even plug the air intake. The key is the gentle soaping/rinsing with very little pressure. I use a pressurized yard sprayer for the soapy water application. It essentially mists the soapy water onto everything. I do this usually only once a year. I like to do it in the springtime so as to wash off any road salt that may have sprayed up in there. If doing it a second time, it is usually after some off-roading where mud has splashed up into the engine bay.

Originally Posted by rooflessVW

I mean, I can appreciate that a careless person trying to do good forcing water into place that it doesn't belong, but...

A once over with a wash mitt and then a rinse with a gentle stream isn't going to hurt a thing in the short or long term.

I hit a big puddle in my Atlas and I found dirty water stains on the hood lining. Engines get wet in daily use.

And not all of those wonderfully sealed connectors are always sealed as well as we would hope. Yes, engines can get wet driving down the road. Hopefully, all the connectors will be water resistant enough to keep the water out. That doesn't always happen either.

The OP asked for opinions. I gave mine based on my years as a master tech, who saw plenty of naive-owner-inflicted issues.

Unless its going to be on display with the hood open, i dont see the point. Ive maybe wiped down quickly with a rag a time or two but dont bother anymore. I dont see the point/benefit. Spend the time doing an IronX or clay and wax to the paint, thats what id do.

Originally Posted by Rolla07
Unless its going to be on display with the hood open, i dont see the point. Ive maybe wiped down quickly with a rag a time or two but dont bother anymore. I dont see the point/benefit. Spend the time doing an IronX or clay and wax to the paint, thats what id do.

That's because you're normal LOL. I like a clean engine.
grin2.gif

I'm just going to wipe it down with the wash mitt and rinse carefully. I'll cover all viewable sensors with aluminum foil as well as coil pack/alternator. I've done this so many times with previous cars just not so early, which is why I'm hesitant.

Originally Posted by rooflessVW

And not all of those wonderfully sealed connectors are always sealed as well as we would hope. Yes, engines can get wet driving down the road. Hopefully, all the connectors will be water resistant enough to keep the water out. That doesn't always happen either.

The OP asked for opinions. I gave mine based on my years as a master tech, who saw plenty of naive-owner-inflicted issues.

You make a valid point and you have first-hand experience. You have to be careful for sure. Power washing is definitely not something you want to do.

Originally Posted by atikovi

Dirty engine bay = implies neglected engine, at least to potential buyers when you are selling. At least that's what I would think when I'm buying.

+1

I usually just wipe the engine cover and plastics with the towel I used to dry the car. No need to wash anything under the hood with water since it's new and just dusty.

The dealers around here put tire shine all over the engine bay on new cars for some reason
mad.gif
I keep forgetting to tell them not to when buying.

I used to use the shower setting of the hose, but I think I'll try the mist setting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back