Fram PH5046 cut open after 12,000 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is my first oil filter I cut open. It was on my 2002 accord 4cyl for a bit over 12,000 miles. The adbv was still pretty pliable.

IMG_20190805_143408103.jpg

IMG_20190805_150929879.jpg

IMG_20190805_150948455.jpg

IMG_20190805_151001560.jpg

IMG_20190805_151043627.jpg

IMG_20190805_151050659.jpg

IMG_20190805_151056927.jpg

IMG_20190805_151103323.jpg

Last edited:
12 000 miles ? What kind of oil ?

Filter looks good ... but it doesn't look like a Fram EG, with metal end caps, metal by-pass valve, coil spring and louvered holes. Strange.

Originally Posted by geeman789
12 000 miles ? What kind of oil ?

Filter looks good ... but it doesn't look like a Fram EG, with metal end caps, metal by-pass valve, coil spring and louvered holes. Strange.

Shell rotella t5 10w30. I got the filter for 75c on clearance at tractor supply. I bought 3

Very strange looking FRAM oil filter. Counterfeit? It almost looks like a cross between a WIX and Purolator.

Originally Posted by NormanBuntz
This filter is listed by Fram for a tractor like Case, Deere, Komatsu or Yanmar. How did you know it would do the job on a 2002 Accord or be any better than a 3593?

Maybe he knew it would do a good job because it was 75¢...

In an optimal engine with clean internals,good oil,and a non severe running service this right here is possible. Fram has had their moments but more often than not they are still a popular go to filter. I ran a PH7317 in my Civic for only 5K and didnt regret/worry ever.Thanks for great pictures too.

Originally Posted by joekingcorvette
Maybe he used a cross reference? Anyway it looks great for the miles. Thanks for the C&P!

Yeah, when you compare the 2, they are identical except in length, this 5046 is about 1.5 inches longer than a 3693a.

For $0.75, you got a great deal.

Originally Posted by NormanBuntz
This filter is listed by Fram for a tractor like Case, Deere, Komatsu or Yanmar. How did you know it would do the job on a 2002 Accord or be any better than a 3593?

I didn't plan on running it 12,000mi life got in the way. I cross referenced the filter specs to see if it would fit a vehicle i have when i was at the store.

Frankly, I have no compunctions against the "normal" EGs; I use them without worry. Leaf springs, fiber ends caps - none of that bothers me.
And this one certainly looks to be a nice piece.
Metal end caps; coil spring; pliable ADBV; decent media. Doesn't leave much for the Fram anti-faithful to work with; what's left for a hater to hate?
grin.gif

Last edited:
Other than the Fram name on an orange can, nothing about the topic filter's construction looks to be Fram made. I feel fairly confident saying this is not a Fram manufactured filter but rather one made by someone else. Seeing as it's applications are OPE, that likely explains it. There's another OPE orange can filter also with metal endcaps that's been posted here before and confirmed to be made by another manufacturer. Likely a low volume seller, thus explaining the reason for the outsource.

The real question then, who makes it? It does look very similar to Champ Labs made, except they don't use a coil compression spring and often have one bigger inlet hole. Wix uses a coil compression spring, however baseplate is not the same as the Wix equivalent filter. I'd say find most common application might find who makes this filter.

Thanks for c&p.

Originally Posted by 53' Stude
JoeGreen: did you put another one of these filters on? What oil went back in the sump?

Thank You for c&p
wink.gif

Yes another one went on and another will go on again when it's time to replace. I put t5 10w30 back in. I bought a bunch a few years ago when AutoZone had it on clearance and there was a rebate. It came out to 25c per quart. With the 75c oil filter the entire oil change is a little over$2 after tax.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back