p0018 code after new timing belt install

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mechanic changed the timing belt on my 2005 Highlander 3.3L V6.

Car is displaying code P0018, quick google search says "P0018 is the OBD-II generic code indicating that the camshaft position sensor A for bank 2 does not correlate to the signal from the crankshaft position sensor".

The Highlander runs fine, and I actually towed a boat twice to the lake 60 miles each way. I thought the check engine light would cycle off, but clearly didn't.

I spoke with the mechanic, who said that one cam "maybe off one tooth".

He offered to correct the problem at a later date.

My questions:

-Am I doing harm (engine knock etc)?
-Will the computer modify timing to that side?
-Can I drive 500 miles tomorrow morning with this vehicle?

The computer wont compensate for a mechanical timing problem, you wont hurt the engine, but performance might suffer.

Yeah its probably off, although usually that would pop up within a few minutes of running as a pending code. Id have it corrected soon than later, its probably in limp mode and not running as good as it should.

Aftermarket components? South Main Auto actually has a pretty cool video where a customer used aftermarket parts on a Honda 3.5 and it caused the timing to be ever so slightly off- not enough to cause mechanical issues as the timing was lined up properly, but just enough to trigger a code. Installing OEM parts corrected the issue.

Link

Last edited:
Originally Posted by JustN89
Aftermarket components? South Main Auto actually has a pretty cool video where a customer used aftermarket parts on a Honda 3.5 and it caused the timing to be ever so slightly off- not enough to cause mechanical issues as the timing was lined up properly, but just enough to trigger a code. Installing OEM parts corrected the issue.

Link

I purchased OEM parts from RockAuto. The car runs just fine. Heck, I towed a boat twice within the past week....

Strange that it got past the installer, usually spin the crankshaft & confirm all marks line up before buttoning the whole engine & covers & shields up.
One tooth won't bend a valve & 500 miles isn't going to trash anything, probably just less get up & go.

You can put a scanner on it and check whether they are lined up electronically.

It may just need to have the cam/crank position relearned, or it could be off a tooth.

Originally Posted by vw7674
Strange that it got past the installer, usually spin the crankshaft & confirm all marks line up before buttoning the whole engine & covers & shields up.
One tooth won't bend a valve & 500 miles isn't going to trash anything, probably just less get up & go.

You absolutely should be turning the engine over and making sure the marks line up, taking it apart later to do that later would be no fun.

I've had issues where a Gates belt on my Sienna had the belt mark slightly off, but you're checking the cams and crankshaft marks in the end, not the belt.

Bank 2 is easy to line up the timing marks, it's on the radiator side. So easy to see the pulley/belt marks. The timing belt runs the exhaust cam. This mechanic sucks, why didn't he fix it right away?

There's more to read on this page I just took the diagnosis could be different.
https://www.yourmechanic.com/articl...rrelation-bank-2-sensor-a-by-jay-safford

What causes the P0018 code?
The bank 2 intake camshaft is out of position compared to the crankshaft position.
The bank 2 camshaft phaser is stuck in one position or will not move.
The phaser is not getting oil because the oil viscosity being used in the engine is too thick.
The Oil Control Valve (OCV) is stuck closed or open mechanically.

Originally Posted by Audios
Yeah its probably off, although usually that would pop up within a few minutes of running as a pending code. Id have it corrected soon than later, its probably in limp mode and not running as good as it should.

Yep. Take car back and have mechanic correct his mistake.

mehullica,

Lots of mechanics are in a rush to finish one vehicle and start on the next.

Some trash mechanics will actually tell their customer something unrelated to timing belt replacement is causing the CEL and want to charge for repair.
smirk.gif

Take it back. Mechanic needs to fix it.

It's a trick to get the rear/right cam timed because of the engine's tilt, cowl and other things blocking the line of sight on the timing marks on the cam pulley and the rear timing cover. I had the same thing happen to me, looks are deceiving to time the rear bank.

A inspection mirror helps. Get the engine into "service" position(I think once the crank is at TDC and all the cam/cover marks and the crank mark is at the divot on the oil pump, rotate the crank CCW to 50*BTDC) after marking the crank and cam marks for reference on the timing belt. Mark the pulley timing mark with a paint marker, draw as straight of a line as you can on the timing belt and use those as guides to get the cam timing right. The marks might look off if you glance at the face of the pulley - but if the line on the belt lines up with the V-notch's point on the rear timing cover, then you're set.

My mechanic is certian that the belt was put on correctly. The code could also be the cam position sensor. I'm going to replace that part and if that doesn't resolve the issue, he's going to open it back up.

Originally Posted by dja4260
My mechanic is certian that the belt was put on correctly. The code could also be the cam position sensor. I'm going to replace that part and if that doesn't resolve the issue, he's going to open it back up.

I highly doubt it's the Cam Sensor....They either completely fail or have intermittent signal drop-out. They don't just decide one day to send a offset signal.....I'm sure if the Crank & Cam signals were scoped you would find Bank 2 signal is offset to where it's supposed to be!

The Cam Sensor connector locks on the VVT MZ engines get VERY BRITTLE as they age & would not recommend messing with it unless it's absolutely necessary!

I also doubt it's an issue in the VVT system.....There are other DTC's for this, The ECM fully retards both Phasers during idle & keeps track of how many degrees they move per the duty cycle of the Oil Control Valve's (OCV), P0018 basically means that the VVT Phasers are moving the proper amount of degrees, But the Bank 2 cam signal is offset & repeatable.

Not to keep rambling on......But, The FIRST thing to do via the P0018 trouble tree is to check the valve/cam timing via the timing marks. The mechanic needs to double check his work!!

As you can see....The waveforms are pretty straight forward & easy to decipher. I added the red trigger to illustrate how they line-up.

[Linked Image]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back