Do you think Amazon will eventually just give up?

Status
Not open for further replies.
We moved to sort of the outskirts of San Antonio near Medina County.

Its about a 10 mile drive into town to get to shopping, etc.

We have started ordering a ton of items on amazon. We do have a local Walmart neighborhood store, which is like a little grocery store. We do our grocery shopping there.

Any deals from walmart I have them shipped to the neighborhood store, but most of our deals have been coming from Amazon.

Items I never thought of ordering before, I have.

Bought a king mattress, complete bed. Queen mattress for guest room and another bed frame.

Wife just bought a desk also.

All our pet food from Amazon, cat litter, laundry soap.

I choose not to go into a Walmart where urinating on produce is apparently a thing.
Peeing On Taters
I also don't have to worry about used oil being put in a bottle and returned/resold by Walmart. Apparently that has happened a number of times in the past.

I get the oil that I use delivered to my doorstep a few days after I order it, along with filters. I get exactly what I want, and I don't have to deal with the typical unwashed Walmart customers.

I like Walmart pickup because I don't have to go into store. I even used for motor oil and wipers.

I wish they would run it to my car though and would give it 5 stars instead of 4.5.

Originally Posted by dave1251
If Amazon makes money they will sell it. If not it will not be sold.

Not really. Plenty of stuff is sold at a loss or break even to get you in the door. Amazon sold a lot of stuff at a loss to get where they're at. Amazon motor oil looks to be something they priced to make money.

Last edited:
I have stopped shopping on Amazon and instead shop at our local stores, including Walmart. They are corporate chains but at least they hire local folk. With Amazon, there is absolutely no benefit to my small community.

Originally Posted by Fawteen
I choose not to go into a Walmart where urinating on produce is apparently a thing.
Peeing On Taters
I also don't have to worry about used oil being put in a bottle and returned/resold by Walmart. Apparently that has happened a number of times in the past.

I get the oil that I use delivered to my doorstep a few days after I order it, along with filters. I get exactly what I want, and I don't have to deal with the typical unwashed Walmart customers.

Always had trouble believing that. Someone would have to have a tin-foil heat-shrinking machine to replicate the sealed cap.

As far as the produce thing, if it is in a sealed package, same difference, how would they even do it? Open produce, sure, indecent exposure.

Deep pockets, can afford a loss I bet. Although I wonder if they sell that much, I mean, it might be a loss but it's probably not that much of one. Wonder if they entered into a contract and now need to sell x gallons or for y years.

I don't mind going into Walmart, I'm not all that special myself. But I do prefer to run in early, no lines and no people. Walmart has cheaper oil and it's on my commute, thus I don't buy Amazon oil.

Wife gets us the prime membership. It is 30 miles to Walmart, after all. But when we need something, we shop online. Whoever has it cheaper we'll get, well we read the reviews too and make sure it's the quality we want, we don't just buy on basis of price of course.

Peeing On Taters

One news story and you make it out to be a common act?

👹👹

Originally Posted by talest
Peeing On Taters

Always had trouble believing that. Someone would have to have a tin-foil heat-shrinking machine to replicate the sealed cap.

As far as the produce thing, if it is in a sealed package, same difference, how would they even do it? Open produce, sure, indecent exposure.

And yet in the past there have been a number of discussions on this forum where people have found used oil in containers purchased from Walmart. A real quick search turned up this thread
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=651687
And quite often produce isn't sold in "sealed" packages. In fact, you wouldn't want to put something like a potato in a sealed package-it will rot much faster without any air circulation.
There are a lot of sick people out there, and Walmart just seems to attract the worst of the worst.

Originally Posted by talest
Peeing On Taters

And yet in the past there have been a number of discussions on this forum where people have found used oil in containers purchased from Walmart. A real quick search turned up this thread
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=651687
And quite often produce isn't sold in "sealed" packages. In fact, you wouldn't want to put something like a potato in a sealed package-it will rot much faster without any air circulation.
There are a lot of sick people out there, and Walmart just seems to attract the worst of the worst.

I am more with PimTac on this one. You are referring to "used oil in containers." Are you stating that these containers were re-sealed, or just had the open seal and either other liquid or used oil in there and no attempt at re-sealing? The reason I ask, is, if it was re-sealed, then not sure how Walmart or any other retailer would be on the hook if it was made to look like new. Now, if it was the open seal (which is more likely) then that is just negligence on the part of Walmart, though maybe the retailer was told to just accept it back to avoid bad optics, even if the customer was in the wrong. In that case, it should have been checked and not put back out.

As to the produce, you must be referring to fresh and not frozen. There is indecent exposure involved with being able to actually urinate on something in the store, much less that in an irrigated section that is maybe up higher. That is outside the realm of societal norms, I will agree with you that if that was happening at a Walmart and you saw it that there would be nothing loose purchased from there, however PimTac nailed it, this is not common.. I touch the green beans with my hands but I do not pee on anything. It seems relative.

Originally Posted by hatt

Not really. Plenty of stuff is sold at a loss or break even to get you in the door. Amazon sold a lot of stuff at a loss to get where they're at. Amazon motor oil looks to be something they priced to make money.

What products does Amazon sell for a loss for decades?

Originally Posted by PimTac
Peeing On Taters

One news story and you make it out to be a common act?

👹👹

Just like certain engines a dozen people complain about "tick" now millions have the same issue.

What are the sales numbers? If you don't know that there isn't much use in discussing anything else.

Relax

Originally Posted by kschachn
I have no idea what you're asking. Shouldn't your statement (or whatever it is) be in the Product Rebates, Sales and Promotions section or in General and Off Topic? What does this have to do with the technical aspects of PCMO?

Relax, its an open forum

Originally Posted by Gasbuggy
It's that ugly bottle and name.

Couldn't agree with you more

Last edited:
Same guy has worked produce at our Walmart for 20 years ... as for oil jugs, Mobil 1 jugs still have a plastic snap ring and foil seal. I do look in the site window to make sure it's not used oil in the jug

What products does Amazon sell for a loss for decades?

I don't know, I'm not an Amazon exec. Are you saying Amazon/etc don't sometimes sell things at a loss as a strategy?

As a former employee, I'd say they won't give up on the auto business. They can afford to lose enough money just to break even and make a huge profit in other things. It would be a good stepping stone into things like wind shield wipers, air fresheners, car wash, head light bulbs, car seats, USB charging cables, etc.

They do not need to pay for a huge store front to sell the oil, they also want to sell into businesses that do not want to keep inventories, so just as add on items they can do well, as a stepping stone to business customers that are also buying other stuffs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back