Gear Lubricants:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone tested the commonly available gear lubricants that you find at the local auto parts stores???

An example would be:

Lucas 75/140

Valvoline 75/140

Shell Spirax 75/140

Valvoline 80/90

Sta-Lube 80/90

I am curious about EP additives and 'climbing' additives.

Thanks...Robert

The most common chemistry is S/P package treat from 5-7%.

Climbing gear oil contain "paratac" a common infinieum addtitve which is a high molecular weight PIB that at .5-1.0% impartes a stringy cling which will "climb' gears looks sexy but shears down to nothing in a gear box and also looses its Tack when the gear oil gets hot and thin. Best for all loss oils like chain, bearing, chain saw etc.

Base oils mostly Bright stock and thinner GPI or GPII nuetral oils blended to correct vis.
High Dollar oil will have PAO or GPIII also.

bruce

Robert,

We have three gear lubricants for "enclosed gear" automotive differentials:

HDS-5 in 75W90

HDS-5 in 75W140,

and for racing, our HDS-R mid-viscosity gear lube.

All are full synthetics with the latest EP additives and fuel saving friction reducers. We use special surfactants of "clingy" esters and high viscosity PAO's to make sure the gears are wetted, and we use special additives to make sure the EP/AW additives get to the tooth and bearing surfaces.

whatever you use use the highest vis grade you can for temp you operate at. I like 85/140 gives the best gear protection as far a vis goes. I know redline and they have latest good stuff do not know SF products well but they have a good reputation also.

bruce

RedLine has a 'Shockproof Heavy' gear lubricant that performs like a 250 weight but has the handling characteristics of a 75/140. It's been a good lubricant...Robert

I believe the 'shockproof' oils have a ton of molybdenum in them ... not just the soluble kind ... but also the solid molydisulphide.
shocked.gif

I was just shopping for a good 75W-140 for a Troy-Bilt rototiller. I had some Coastal 85W-140 which was rated for GL5, GL4 & GL3. Smell was not heavy with sulfur and I was impressed that it was rated for all those applications. I wish I had bought more of that stuff a year ago because now the store I got it from (Advance Auto) has dumped it in favor of other, lesser brands including Lucas, Accel and Valvoline.

I gave the Accel and Valvoline the sniff test. They smelled the same (skanky sulfur) ... but the Valvoline was twice the price.
tongue.gif

I don't buy Lucas because I think there stuff is ordinary quality at a premium price. Like Valvoline ... only worse.
wink.gif

So, I didn't buy any of the oils they had there.
tongue.gif

I found a Chevron dealer locally and will be trying to get some Delo 85W-140 with their borate-based additive package.

For something like an infrequently-used rototiller, I don't think it's worth anything too exotic.

--- Bror Jace

Shell Spirax EW is one of the few gear lubricants that meets the 500,000 mile service life of several heavy duty truck manufacturers...Robert

I think the Sta-Lube synthetic gear-lubes are probably OK, but at $17.00/quart, they seem pricey by comparison.

I have used Mobil 1 75W90 and am using Mobil 1 75W140 in the truck, I think from Schucks (?). The 75W140 runs quieter, and both look very clean at the change interval compared to the Dodge stuff, which someone said was Texaco.

I bought the Valvoline 80/90 at Advanced Auto for $3.89 qt. Mabey not be the best but a good name for a fair price.
smile.gif

quote:

Originally posted by MolaKule:
I think the Sta-Lube synthetic gear-lubes are probably OK, but at $17.00/quart, they seem pricey by comparison.

In Redding California the store that sells Redline oils for $6.95 to $7.95 charges $28.00!!! for Sta-lube !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back