Fel-Pro gaskets for rear truck diffs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are the Fel-Pro users getting a good seal on rear diffs for trucks?
smile.gif

Last edited:
I use felpro, with Trav's suggestion of hi-tack gasket sealer. Works great no leaks as long as you get both surfaces clean.

I scrape it well then clean both surfaces with berryman b-12.

Felpro makes a decent gasket last I knew. I'd wire wheel the cover and scrape the diff clean. Then, I'd use a bead of Permatex Aviation Forma-Gasket #2 spread out on the cover. when it skins over, I press the gasket into place on the cvr. if you grease the face, then the gasket will stick on the cvr so you won't waste the gasket. I'm sure the the one time use RTV works great, I just prefer gaskets

Originally Posted by andyd
Felpro makes a decent gasket last I knew. I'd wire wheel the cover and scrape the diff clean. Then, I'd use a bead of Permatex Aviation Forma-Gasket #2 spread out on the cover. when it skins over, I press the gasket into place on the cvr. if you grease the face, then the gasket will stick on the cvr so you won't waste the gasket. I'm sure the the one time use RTV works great, I just prefer gaskets

+1.

Clean the surfaces, Fel-Pro gasket, use Aviation #3 (I don't know what the difference is vs. #2, both probably fine). Let it set up overnight if you can before filling, then re-torque and fill. If you ever open it again, you will be very glad you did this vs. FIPG. I know it has it's uses, but I try to avoid it at all costs if I can since I tend to own vehicles a long time and might someday service that area/component again.
wink.gif

I've used BOTH a fiber gasket and RTV with no leaks. Looking back, I probably misread the Haynes manual but it worked just fine. Glad that my current truck has a rear diff drain so I don't have to unbolt it.

Currently running a blue Fel-Pro on the rear diff of my C1500. No RTV or anything else to assist in sealing. No leaks and it was cheap.

Just cleaned the surface up, removed the old factory RTV, bolted it up and filled the diff.

I tend to use a gasket & use a sealant ( Permatex non hardening ) to " glue " the gasket to the removable part . Easier to get the gasket / sealant off of the removable paet , if I ever have to remove it .

Originally Posted by WyrTwister
I tend to use a gasket & use a sealant ( Permatex non hardening ) to " glue " the gasket to the removable part . Easier to get the gasket / sealant off of the removable paet , if I ever have to remove it .

Agree. Better than RTV over the long haul. Any impurity on the surfaces and that RTV is going to leak and there's no snugging up the bolts.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by BrianF
Currently running a blue Fel-Pro on the rear diff of my C1500. No RTV or anything else to assist in sealing. No leaks and it was cheap.

Just cleaned the surface up, removed the old factory RTV, bolted it up and filled the diff.

Same thing for me with my F150. It has been 19+ months and around 23k miles since installing the Fel-Pro gasket and the diff is dry. No RTV needed and that was the point of using the fiber gasket.

I use both a gasket and sealer on the rear diffs on both of my chevy trucks and have no leaks and it's been years since I installed them. I used a Lube Locker gasket on the rear diff of my 14 Mustang when I replaced the diff cover and after almost six years, no leaks. This gasket doesn't require any sealer.

Originally Posted by wtd
I use both a gasket and sealer on the rear diffs on both of my chevy trucks and have no leaks and it's been years since I installed them. I used a Lube Locker gasket on the rear diff of my 14 Mustang when I replaced the diff cover and after almost six years, no leaks. This gasket doesn't require any sealer.

A lube locker gasket has been working fine on the rear of my F150.

Originally Posted by hatt
Originally Posted by wtd

I'm curious about the lubelocker gasket. Supposedly you can reuse them. Any one had success using them for more than one change? If so how do you clean the gasket of oil for reinstallation?

Originally Posted by spasm3
Originally Posted by hatt
Originally Posted by wtd

I'm curious about the lubelocker gasket. Supposedly you can reuse them. Any one had success using them for more than one change? If so how do you clean the gasket of oil for reinstallation?

I have used Lubelocker gaskets on my various Jeep rear and front diffs over the years multiple times. I just clean the Lubelocker Gasket with a degreaser like Purple Power or other similar product. The metal cover and rear differ surfaces just get a good brake cleaner spray and call it good and reapply the gasket. My rule of thumb though is after 4 removals, I replace the Lubelocker gasket but that is just my OCD of preventative maintenance and not want to push to find when the gasket actually will fail.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back