2014 VW Jetta - transmission service

Status
Not open for further replies.
We are just under 50K miles on our 2014 VW Jetta 1.8 TSI with the 6 speed auto. The manual calls for a transmission fluid change at 50K miles. I called the dealer to see what they charge, they came back with $240 for a drain and fill. They don't do a total fluid exchange. Is this an unreasonable price?

I would do it myself, but it's not a simple drain and fill like on my Honda. It requires special tools and the car has to be on a level surface. I am thinking of having it done when it is in for a wheel speed sensor later this week.

lazy man way but i've always thought of using a fluid extractor and just sucking up like exactly 2qts or w/e comes out and replacing it with OEM. Yes it won't clean everything but its a start and its cheaper this way after you factor in the cost of the extractor.

Do it on a cold trans and who cares about it being level or not.

I'm debating on doing it to the camry and Jetta i have to service.

You may not have an external cooler like the 2006-2009 Passat's, so it would be a drain & refill. Are they dropping the pan and replacing the filter also?

It does require a special fill tool, as there is no dipstick to pour into, you fill by the pan.

Well if that's all they are doing it's about $30 in fluid and $ 125 labor . I have done it many times in mine but with pan drop and filter change . I had no idea how to do it but I did research and it has to be done right but nothing anyone with mechanical can't do .

Originally Posted by Kjmack
Well if that's all they are doing it's about $30 in fluid and $ 125 labor . I have done it many times in mine but with pan drop and filter change . I had no idea how to do it but I did research and it has to be done right but nothing anyone with mechanical can't do .

The fluid itself isn't that cheap. The G055540A2 MSRP for $24.80 per liter. They are going to charge you for at least 5 liters.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by UG_Passat

The fluid itself isn't that cheap. The G055540A2 MSRP for $24.80 per liter. They are going to charge you for at least 5 liters.

Pentosin ATF 1 LV is the correct fluid for his transmission . It can be bought for 38 bucks at Rockauto 5 L.. There is a fill hole above the pan that is easy to get too , but you have to know what your looking for . I have done 5 fluid drain and fills so far and 1 pan drop to change filter . Like I said I did a ton of research before and know I can do it as fast as a oil change .

Last edited:
Originally Posted by UG_Passat

Pentosin ATF 1 LV is the correct fluid for his transmission . It can be bought for 38 bucks at Rockauto 5 L.. There is a fill hole above the pan that is easy to get too , but you have to know what your looking for . I have done 5 fluid drain and fills so far and 1 pan drop to change filter . Like I said I did a ton of research before and know I can do it as fast as a oil change .

You're forgetting, it is a dealership. They will be using the VW branded stuff, not Pentosin ATF 1 LV, as the service from the dealership will carry a 12 month/12,000 mile warranty, whichever comes first.

How is G05540(A2) not the correct fluid?

The fill hole is the level tube that is screwed onto the transmission pan.

Last edited:
The pan needs to be dropped IMO. The magnets will have lots of fine metal shavings. I changed out the transmission fluid/filter @ 28k mi on my 2012 Golf myself. Pain filling through the drain hole. That dealer should do a pan drop and clean the pan/magnets and install new strainer filter w/new pan gasket. Very easy job especially on a lift. If I remember correctly about 3 1/4 qts. came out. See if the dealer could do all that for $275-300?

Yes the first time you do it the fill must be done from the bottom drain hole . After you know the level is correct drain and measure can be done .
I'm not explaining the alternative fill plug location very well but believe me there is one .
The fluid I mention and the VW fluid are both correct . Pentosin makes the VW fluid . So I'd say both are correct .

Originally Posted by gregk24
We are just under 50K miles on our 2014 VW Jetta 1.8 TSI with the 6 speed auto. The manual calls for a transmission fluid change at 50K miles. I called the dealer to see what they charge, they came back with $240 for a drain and fill. They don't do a total fluid exchange. Is this an unreasonable price?

I would do it myself, but it's not a simple drain and fill like on my Honda. It requires special tools and the car has to be on a level surface. I am thinking of having it done when it is in for a wheel speed sensor later this week.

Sounds like a steal if they're also replacing the filter (which they should be) and that's the "out the door" price. Best part is that the dealer is on the hook for any screw ups.

blauparts have instructions for many fluid changes + if its same 6 spd as girlfriends 08 jetta tiptronic its pretty simple + fluid was about $10 a qt!

When I worked at the VW dealership for those couple weeks earlier this summer I did quite a few of those transmission services. All they used was a harbor freight exchange pump and an adapter that fits into the bottom of the transmission. It's really not that hard of a process. $250 sounds like a chunk of change for 30-60 minutes worth of work but its probably on par with stealership charges.

Originally Posted by FordBroncoVWJeta
When I worked at the VW dealership for those couple weeks earlier this summer I did quite a few of those transmission services. All they used was a harbor freight exchange pump and an adapter that fits into the bottom of the transmission. It's really not that hard of a process. $250 sounds like a chunk of change for 30-60 minutes worth of work but its probably on par with stealership charges.

Did they change filter or not?

Can almost guarantee the dealer drain and fill service is just that. No pan drop and filter change.

That cost sounds about right. My local Nissan dealer charges $220 to do a CVT spill and fill. Even though they charge $20/qt for CVT juice at the counter, I doubt it costs them more than $10/qt. Drain/fills are typically no more than 3qts.

I did 2 drain and fills on my sister's 2013 Jetta with the 2.5L at 60k miles. The fluid was black. I didn't change the filter because the one supplied with the kit I bought from ECS Tuning looked like a screen, and the factory one looked clean still.

Originally Posted by edyvw

They did on certain transmissions. I think its DCT with the filter on top under the battery tray got done every time. And I think the Aisin made one was just a drain and fill.

I went ahead and had the service done. It was indeed a drain and fill, had to wait around for the fluid to cool to the proper temp then they did the service. Glad to have it done, by the book.

Originally Posted by edyvw

They did on certain transmissions. I think its DCT with the filter on top under the battery tray got done every time. And I think the Aisin made one was just a drain and fill.

Yeah, Aisin has that restrainer. Still, should be changed, IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back