Old man rant. What happened to rock?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My thing is garage rock. From about 1965 to present. Most commercial music sucks. If it's driven by a corporation,chances are it's going to be awful.

Born in 83, I agree, music is absolutely terrible today. Insert music and lyrics into computer, and bingo here you go your brand new song!! The 6 disc changer in the GL has 2 Faith No More cd's, one Protest the Hero, Pink Floyd Animals, Phish, and to top it off....Aaron Neville.

Originally Posted by 2dogs
You guys are killing me. Never heard of those bands. What happened to Cream, Lynard Skynard, & The Rolling Stones?

Oh one more thing- "Get off my Lawn!"

lol.gif

There you go
cheers3.gif

This thread makes me chuckle. Many, maybe most, people that are nostalgic believe their teen/young adult music era was the best. What really cracks me up are the commenters on YouTube that always refer to that 60'/70's rock era as the good old days...simpler times...people were genuine, etc.. Yea, we had the Vietnam war, race riots, assassinations, etc. And then, there was the DISCO era
37.gif

Barry Manilow, The Carpenters, John Denver - now there's some good music, LOL.

Born way over a 1/2 century ago in the last Millennium.

Beatles, Monkees, Mountain, Neil Young, CCR, Deep Purple, Tull, Pink Floyd, Aerosmith, YES, R.E.M., Pretenders, Eurythmics, U2, Radiohead, MUSE.

During the DISCO 4 on the floor era, I checked out Classical for a few years. Some good stuff there.

I am a really big Gordon Lightfoot fan too. Now I have Cotton Jenny stuck in my head ...
smile.gif

Look into Ghost. Although not classic rock because they are new, their sound is recognizable as "good rock music". They are good enough to be worth a listen to a number of their songs.

Originally Posted by dishdude
Those are what I consider to be the best current songs out.
I suppose definition of 'rock' may vary from one person to another. I am having a hard time finding good current rock bands as well. I've been listening to Ben Howard, Odesza, Haelos, Hybrid, Bob Moses, Pineapple Thief, Cosmograf (more of a Pink Floyd-ish prog rock but very good - check out his album "The Man Left in Space"), Steven Wilson (main guy from Porcupine Tree), Daniel Cavanagh.

There are also bands like Greta Van Fleet and The 1975 that others have recommended earlier. I tried listening to them, but honestly, I just can't digest it.

Not sure that I'd call Twenty-One Pilots or Panic at the Disco as "rock", at least what I call rock. Twenty-One Pilots is more "alternative" to me and Panic at the Disco is "pop". I guess the issue is there are so many sub-genres of rock: hard rock, classic rock, alternative-rock, metal, etc, etc

I love southern rock and classic rock. Classic country is probably my favorite. Disco is in there somewhere. John Prine is above all else.

Metal and the 90s rock never did it for me. Not relaxing enough, makes me anxious.

Originally Posted by hallstevenson
Not sure that I'd call Twenty-One Pilots or Panic at the Disco as "rock", at least what I call rock. Twenty-One Pilots is more "alternative" to me and Panic at the Disco is "pop". I guess the issue is there are so many sub-genres of rock: hard rock, classic rock, alternative-rock, metal, etc, etc

I recently stated listening to the alt/indie rock. I don't hate it.

Originally Posted by dishdude
I always thought rock would be the dominant genre. I remember growing up listening to Tool, Chevelle, Disturbed, even Blink 182, Green Day and Linkin Park. Now all the new music sucks! The best I can find are Twenty-one Pilots and Panic! at the Disco. (which are great!) What happened to rock?

Most of the new music is not played on instruments by the people that wrote the music. It's made by "artists" who provide the face and voice but have teams of songwriters and lyricists making what will sell. Note that I'm not saying there aren't some genuine musical talents out there, just that some percentage of them are using computer generated music or don't have the talent to play.

Never really was into the really hard stuff. I'm a Boston/Billy Joel/led Zeppelin/Who/Eagles kind of guy mostly, but my wife has enlightened me about this group: Roger Clyne and the Peacemakers - sed to be The Refreshments. A planned record deal that ended poorly lost them the name, but the indie band continued. If you're familiar with the theme song from "King of the Hill", that's them.

Here's a few of my favorites, the second one I've heard on the radio numerous times, and it also has the KotH theme at the end. Third one's an acquired taste with a good story.

Last edited:
Stones from 68-72 mostly. Some before, Satisfaction, etc. Some after. Derek and the Dominoes. Little Feat when Lowell George was still with us. Allman Brothers when Duane was still with us. Steely Dan? Or don't we consider that rock? At some point a lot of it was #@*%. Wanna guess my age?

Originally Posted by Skippy722
I primarily listen to Octane on SiriusXM.

Beartooth, I Prevail, Any Given Sin, HELLYEAH, Adelitas Way, Motionless In White... They also play stuff like Chevelle, Tool, Alice In Chains, Metallica, and Disturbed among others. Nick1994 (who seems to also have great taste in music)posted a few other good bands they play. Basically old and new hard rock.

This. You can find some great stuff on Octane, I typically shuffle between Octane and Turbo throughout my drive. Great balance of new stuff and some of the "classics" from the 90s/early 2000s.

Originally Posted by RamFan
Originally Posted by Skippy722
I primarily listen to Octane on SiriusXM.

Beartooth, I Prevail, Any Given Sin, HELLYEAH, Adelitas Way, Motionless In White... They also play stuff like Chevelle, Tool, Alice In Chains, Metallica, and Disturbed among others. Nick1994 (who seems to also have great taste in music)posted a few other good bands they play. Basically old and new hard rock.

This. You can find some great stuff on Octane, I typically shuffle between Octane and Turbo throughout my drive. Great balance of new stuff and some of the "classics" from the 90s/early 2000s.

Octane's a good station. Used to drive in the land of no radio quite a bit, but haven't had Sirius awhile now.

Originally Posted by PimTac
I never heard of any of these bands.

Rock and roll died long ago when bands stopped using Hammond B organs.

Big Thumbs up to Rod Argent and Goldy McJohn!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back