Are these spark plugs still good?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Whimsey
Originally Posted by dailydriver
Originally Posted by Deontologist
Replaced all 6 with Rutheniums and noticed a huge difference. Idle became glass smooth. Fuel economy went up 1-2 MPG overall and that's with me stomping the pedal harder than ever. I was getting like 18 driving conservatively. After changing I was getting 19-20 and that's with a bunch of 0-60 sprints just to get a feel for the new plugs.

I just replaced my 18K mile (NGK made Motorcraft Iridiums
21.gif
) factory plugs
with the same heat range Rutheniums as well.

The idle is MUCH smoother, but no long trips yet to check the fuel mileage, and I have not been able to drive it in 'anger' yet to see if there is any difference in that realm.

Just curious, how worn was the gap on the factory plugs @18,000 miles compared to installed recommended gap? My wife has a 2017 2.3 EB Explorer with ~45,000 miles. I'm going to change them soon with the same Motorcraft iridium plugs that I got from RA for ~$4.50/ea. Ford says they're 100,000 mile plugs. Currently it's smooth running and still gets the same or very similar mpg as after break in. But I have to guess that the DI Turbo in a smaller engine in a heavier vehicle takes it's toll on the plugs. I look at is a cheap preventative maintenance rather than failing on the road while she's driving. Thank goodness for inline 4 cylinder engines
grin2.gif

Whimsey

The factory plugs were at ~.032 gap (factory specs .028).

The reason for that, at that low mileage, may be the way I drive it (like a Hoonigan/WOT/much boost
wink.gif
), and possibly (
21.gif
) also because I used an E30/93 blend for a while, when we still had an E85 dispensing station in the area.

Is that for IS 250 or 350? They don't "wear out" by 60k, and I read a TSB on how to check these plugs by checking if the center electrodes are "shorted" to the side electrodes using a multi-meter (check if they are open or if they have some measurable resistance).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back