Lucas transmission products

Status
Not open for further replies.
As I have previously read on these forums there is a general distaste for Lucas transmission additives. What is the reason for this? I have used the stop slip on an old Grand Prix this was slipping heavily and it almost completely mitigated the problem. I understand that it is not a repair but what is the distain for them caused by? This also includes the fluid conditioner which I do not really know much of the science behind. I have also heard some folks state "it is just a friction modifier and seal swelled" but isn't that what is should be doing to stop slipping in its philosophy? Please enlighten me.

Originally Posted by atikovi
Most people who buy it expect a miracle in a bottle, and when it doesn't do anything, they pan it. If it worked for you, great.

^this
I have noticed that even mentioning Lucas products tends to ruffle a few feathers. I can certainly understand this, given the relatively high price of Lucas products. In reality, Lucas products help in some cases but not others, but it is difficult to know which problems Lucas will help before spending the cash. I have had success with Lucas products in a car or two, but no success in others. Same for most other products I have tried.

I think the marketing technique used by Lucas really annoys the people here.

The oil stabilizer bottle with "Save that engine!!" , When in reality it's a plain thick oil with no add packs whatsoever. Actually dilutes the add pack of the oil you add it to.

This type of marketing makes me not even look at or even consider their products.

This board started with the original Bob demonstrating scientifically how some Lucas products diluted the original additives (such as anti-foaming) and left you with something less than what you started with. So yes it is held in low regard here. I suppose some of their expensive, heavily marketed products might actually have a use.

I actually used some of this when I bought my Sunfire a couple years ago. On the way home it after purchase it wouldn't downshift from 4-3. and it also wouldn't up shift from 3-4.
mad.gif
Changed the transmission fluid and used a bottle of Lucas, and it never did it again in the 30,000 miles I had it and abused it during high school 2016-2017. Then I gave it to my little brother he drove it in high school too 2017-2019. Before I finally sold it. Shifting just fine. It saved that car from the junkyard and my wallet. I also put it in the 03 Taurus in my signature for giggles when I bought it. Hasn't blow up yet or shifted weird. I honestly think it shifts better than some of the new cars I have drove.

Edit: I also used some of the Lucus Power Steering Fluid on the Taurus as well because of the common Ford whiny power steering. It probably quieted that sucker down at least 60-70%. IMHO I wouldn't use it unless you are experiencing problems.

The other day I had a guy wanting to put it in his 2017 Chevy Cruze with a Turbo. I told him I wouldn't just based on the fact most manufactures say to stay away from that stuff especially on Turbo'd engines.

Last edited:
only thing I can add is I used lucas in a desperate attempt to save a tranny that wouldn't shift from second into 3rd...did complete fluid change/filter and added the lucas...almost 35k and still shifted great . the s10 body crapped out before the tranny did.. so whatever the lucas did worked for me...

I've used their fuel system stuff a few times over the years. I do manual mpg calc's on my vehicles and would see a slight bump when I used it. Not enough to pay for itself but I was more after the cleaning properties. I use the Red Line fuel system cleaner now and I also see a small mpg increase with it..

Having worked in a transmission shop.....

"No-slip in a bottle" added by customers worked less than 2% of the time.

If the frictions are gone - - or a lip seal is torn - - **nothing** you pour down the dipstick tube will fix it..... and that's about 90% (or more) of transmission failures.

I'm glad it worked in your old Grand Prix.................... but understand when I say: "You are in the minority"

So does anyone have issue with it in the purpose of a last ditch effort to suppress some of the symptoms of a transmission going out?

Originally Posted by HyundaiAbuser
So does anyone have issue with it in the purpose of a last ditch effort to suppress some of the symptoms of a transmission going out?

Sounds like you have nothing to lose at this point. Go ahead and use it.

Let s look at some of the claims;

Prolongs fluid Life:

How does it do this?

Improves fluid Shear Stability

What does this mean? Fact: In order to maintain the Mu(v) dynamic viscosity of the wet clutches, the fluid HAS to shear at the molecular level and at the clutch-material interface.

Improves fluid oxidation to improve sludge and varnish formation.

Sludge doesn't form in AT's but varnish might. Every fluid has some anti-oxidant chemistry. Nothing new here.

Reduces parts wear and extends equipment life.

Every AT fluid has some anti-wear chemistry in the form of a phosphite chemistry. Nothing new here. How do you extend the life of an AT that has problems and is on the way "out?" Does this fluid have some breakthrough chemistry that can rebuild the internals? I seriously doubt it.

Contains an effective foam inhibitor.

So does every lube made, about 50ppm of siloxane chemistry. Nothing new here.

Maintains cold temperature properties.

The mix of base oils and additives in the original formulated ATF determines this, not some inferred magical chemistry.

Compatible with commercial and synthetic fluids.

What is a "commercial" fluid and how is it different from s 'synthetic fluid'? Huh?

Improves shifting performance.

How do you extend the shifting of an AT that has problems and is on the way "out?"

Fact: In order to maintain the Mu(v) dynamic viscosity of the wet clutches, the fluid HAS to be replaced as the Friction Modification additives become oxidized.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back