Looked Under the Hood of my New F-150 and

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hate to say it guys but I think I'm going to let this one be dealer maintained. Will need a step stool to accurately pour oil and dog gone it, it just looks pretty complicated in that engine bay. Salesman said their service dept recommends 5000 mile (8000 km) oil change intervals on this engine (2.7 liter twin turbo V6). They do use Motorcraft oil and oem filters.

Are you short like me? I need a step ladder to do everything on my truck.
smile.gif

Originally Posted by LoneRanger
Salesman said their service dept recommends 5000 mile (8000 km) oil change intervals on this engine (2.7 liter twin turbo V6).

What does the manual say?

Originally Posted by Greggy_D
Originally Posted by LoneRanger
Salesman said their service dept recommends 5000 mile (8000 km) oil change intervals on this engine (2.7 liter twin turbo V6).

What does the manual say?

This is BITOG.... what does the UOA prove?

The good ground clearance means you could just slip right under for oil changes, though. That's what I love about fluid changes on my Pilot
smile.gif

There's nothing wrong with a step-stool!
smile.gif

I use something similar to this combo step-stool / tool box for general under-the-hood chores.

https://www.amazon.com/WORX-WA4214-Storage-Step-Stool/dp/B07LC31697/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=step+stool+tool+box&qid=1561336417&refinements=p_85%3A2470955011&rnid=2470954011&rps=1&s=gateway&sr=8-3

Last edited:
You can do it. Send us a pic of the engine bay. On my 3/4 ton up on pine-O's I use a kitchen type step ladder for some of the tougher stuff. I use a Helen Keller oil funnel. ( Even Helen couldn't miss). Let's see if I have a pic.

BC09638B-36C2-45B7-AB5E-755BD24F0E8B.jpeg

D9E6C080-E8AF-4302-9407-FF46BE329338.jpeg

Last edited:
I have a 2018 4x4 Super Crew 2.7 F150. The oil changes are an absolute joy.

The oil pan has a plastic, 1/4 quick turn drain plug, with multiple "O" rings to seal. It needs no tools. Oil drains FAST!!

The oil filter is on top and is a "Euro style" user replaceable element under a plastic housing. No drips at all! Needs only the proper size wrench/adjustable wrench or tool (1 1/16 inch) . It's not tight, but I found that it's just slightly more than hand tight.

The only "gotcha" is the splash shield under the truck, which needs tools to remove, but really does come off easily. I'm considering cutting a large hole where the oil drain plug is. That might take a bit of effort, as the center can't be cut out without making it weak.

I was able to do it without jacking.

Originally Posted by PimTac
You didn't pop the hood on the dealers lot?

+1
Before I purchase anything, it's serviceability is one of the main factors in the decision process.

Congrats on the new truck.. I use a footstool when I wash the top of my truck. It's not a bad thing.The OCI sounds reasonable and if your happy with the oil and filter their using, you're set.

I don't remember specifics, but I faintly recall reading online about how oil changes on the Ford 2.7 Ecoboost take a little extra time in drain and fill. If I recall correctly oil is slow to drain from the heads. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.....GM guy here, so when it comes to FoMoCo I don't really know what I'm talking about other than secondhand and hearsay.

Last edited:
I've used a stepstool to maintain m last four trucks... Nothing new there. Nature of the beast with a larger engine bay, higher fender height, and the engine being setback in the compartment to help with weight...

Oil changes are easy as described with the quick turn drain plug and cartridge filter. Hardest part (believe it or not) is getting the shield off of the bottom of the truck. Use a large opening oil pan - the oil comes out fast!!!!
Yes, one has to wait 15 minutes for the oil to drain properly and to check the engine oil level, Skip this step and you will overfill, guaranteed.

One dealer tried to sell me on the 5000 mile changes. And a boatload of other services not recommended by Ford.... Your truck has an OLM. Follow it, and change at an earlier percentage if it makes you feel better.

Originally Posted by sopususer
I don't remember specifics, but I faintly recall reading online about how oil changes on the Ford 2.7 Ecoboost take a little extra time in drain and fill. If I recall correctly oil is slow to drain from the heads. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.....GM guy here, so when it comes to FoMoCo I don't really know what I'm talking about other than secondhand and hearsay.

You are supposed to wait 15 minutes to accurately check the level.

I'm 6'3" and can barely reach the dipstick on my 2019 Raptor. I don't know how shorter people are supposed to check the oil on a road trip or something. There's a nice hole in the bumper you could step into but the manual says not to use it as a step, I guess it could bend the outer bumper extension.

Originally Posted by PimTac
You didn't pop the hood on the dealers lot?

After checking the drivers seat for good fit and visibility, that is the second thing I do.

I have actually had salesman say something like "Please don't do that" or "I wish you wouldn't do that".

When I start probing around checking for access to components they really freak out.

"No one one does that". Well I do.

To be fair, I have had salesman (Few and not recently) allow me to have a car put on a lift for my inspection.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back