Power Steering Stop Leak

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Corvette has had a power steering leak for a long time, not much, just a couple drips a week. Never needed to top off fluid but just knowing it's leaking bothers me a little. The pressure hose is fresh and I know the hose fittings are not leaking, but still I can't see exactly where it's coming from.
Anyway I tried Prestone fluid with stop leak (full quart added) and it significantly slowed the leak, just a couple drips a month. Then I found a super deal on Lucas power steering stop leak "guaranteed to work" and put that in, figured for a few dollars what can it hurt. Well, somehow the Lucas made it leak way more than it did at the beginning (before Prestone)... now it's like 10-20 drips per week.
What gives?

Is the leak from the pump or the rack unit? If its the rack you will see wet spots from the boot or the inner tie rod if its the pump you can probably reseal it, if the rack is leaking replace it with a reman from Jorgen. They also do pumps.

PS leaks don't go away with StopLeaks (it will never go away) - most of the time the leak is from the crimped end near the banjo bolt of the high pressure hose which many a times is a PITA to get to (there is a rubber o-ring that goes into the rack which could also leak although seldom do these rings shrink as they are well lubricated) .

Originally Posted by DGXR
You mean the seal on the pulley shaft?

thumbsup2.gif

That's where the last three pump leaks came from on the three pumps on the daughter's 2008 TrailBlazer.

The OEM pump leaked from there and the two replacement pumps as well.

They finally installed one that didn't leak.

I don't know where the pump and rebuild manf. have sourced their seals but many are not up to par.
mad.gif

Originally Posted by MolaKule
Originally Posted by DGXR
You mean the seal on the pulley shaft?

thumbsup2.gif

That's where the last three pump leaks came from on the three pumps on the daughter's 2008 TrailBlazer.

The OEM pump leaked from there and the two replacement pumps as well.

They finally installed one that didn't leak.

I don't know where the pump and rebuild manf. have sourced their seals but many are not up to par.
mad.gif

Have yet to see a GM ps pump not leak. After they get 100k miles they just start leaking. Aftermarket pumps not made by ac delco seem to be the fix to that. Either the fluid they use deteriorates the seals, or they are crap to begin with.

I still haven't taken the time to determine exactly where it's leaking. If it's the shaft seal, I will replace the seal. If it's the rack, I will just live with it for now. Thanks everyone for your replies
laugh.gif

Our pump leak was evident by looking at the bottom of the pump toward the pulley. We saw it was wet and large drops formed on the bottom.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back