Preparing for a huge job opportunity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Noted for future reference.

Good stuff guys.
thumbsup2.gif

Find a way to mention BITOG. If the interviewer is a member, you're gold. If not, you could still be hired out of admiration. Or, not hired due to jealousy and the realization that you will have their job within 6 months.

Originally Posted by TheLawnRanger
Find a way to mention BITOG. If the interviewer is a member, you're gold. If not, you could still be hired out of admiration. Or, not hired due to jealousy and the realization that you will have their job within 6 months.

Are we better than Skull & Bones now?
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by eljefino
Originally Posted by TheLawnRanger

Are we better than Skull & Bones now?
laugh.gif

Nice !!

Originally Posted by Leo99
You'd be surprised how many people I interview just don't engage. They answer the questions as carefully as possible and showing as little of their personality as possible. We don't hire those people. There are lots of people that can do the work but do I want to work with them everyday? Show up early. Even if you just sit there for 30 minutes. Word gets around that you're there early.

I agree that personality and street smarts go a LONG way. I have a friend that's not very book smart and definitely not the best candidate for his current position but he can take over the interview and turn it more into a funny/friendly chat with a stranger instead of an interview. That's basically what I did. My current boss and I talked more about our time in the service instead of the actual job; in fact I don't think we even really talked about the job.

Pew,

Maybe your boss was biased and favored military veterans over a non veteran ?

I know I prefer a veteran..... just being honest.

Originally Posted by Mr Nice
Pew,

I know many veterans I wouldn't trust to wash a bicycle . Why should they get a automatic upgrade in your book over a civilian ?

Last edited:
In my line of work..... veterans have 'hands on' technical skills that we look for.

We recently hired a former Navy helicopter mechanic to work on CT machines. Very sharp woman that has a ton of mechanical / electronics knowledge.

Yep - we have three new hires in the bullpen going through some onboarding safety training and stuff like that.
Only one is ex military officer … and the only one chomping at the bit with "what else can I do to get ready - and when do we deploy" !!!

Originally Posted by Mr Nice
Pew,

Probably since he was at Kadena back in the 70s but this was with my direct manager and not the CEO/president of the company. Nonetheless, my point was that a good interviewee can turn an interview from what would seem like a boring interrogation into what feels more like a great chat with a stranger.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back