Buick Regal (2015, 2016)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm looking at these and would want the turbo, but what about other features?

Is the AWD worth getting, or does it slow the car down?

AWD is less reliable and heavier and will slow the car slightly. The advantage is in better handling and winter traction. I'd prefer AWD if you live in an area with snow, and especially one where snow accumulates.

Have the 17 Regal GS with the 2.0T, Fwd is the way to go, little faster with more Hp to drive the front wheels, than all four, these Regals with the Turbo are fun to drive.

If you live In MD AWD is certainly not a bad idea given your winters and fairly hilly terrain.

However, a FWD with good snow tires should suffice. I'd say it will boil down to the cost difference between the two models if I were looking to purchase.

A Regal of that era will have a Haldex Gen 4 AWD system, aka Saab XWD. It's actually a nice system that uses a electro-hydraulic limited slip differential at the rear drive axle for torque vectoring. As far as AWD systems go, it's capabilities are better than most.

Originally Posted by MrHorspwer
A Regal of that era will have a Haldex Gen 4 AWD system, aka Saab XWD. It's actually a nice system that uses a electro-hydraulic limited slip differential at the rear drive axle for torque vectoring. As far as AWD systems go, it's capabilities are better than most.

Not only that, they're EXPENSIVE. Those rear differentials use special fluid and love to go on the fritz. No one rebuilds them, and parts are already hard to find at times.

Originally Posted by ET16
I'm looking at these and would want the turbo, but what about other features?

Is the AWD worth getting, or does it slow the car down?

Dunno about AWD; I've never had it on any car, even in Colorado. But the Regal is a good solid car, and with the turbo it should be apocket rocket. My 2011 was NA and a little slow to get up to speed from a light. It's a relatively heavy car. But if you need to go from 40 to 70, or from 60 to 80, it will fly.

I got about 21-22 mpg on mine, which took regular 87 octane. The ride was a little harsh on my rough streets with the 18" wheels and low-profile tires. The car came with Michelins; when they were worn I went to Generals in the same size. Very little went wrong on it, and like my previous Buick, the Park Avenue, it was a pleasure to own and drive, confident and nimble. If I'd been able to find a turbo model with a light-colored interior around here, I'd have bought one last year or earlier this year.

Nice cars. If given the choice between 2 similar cars with 1 being FWD and the other AWD - I will aways pick the AWD. It's more than just a foul weather bonus - it's better traction in wet conditions, loose gravel, and you can pull out of hard turns with a little bit more sureness
grin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back