Recent Topics
Mitsuboshi Timing Belts
by artbuc - 08/21/19 04:02 AM
Veterans: Fram Ultra Select Sizes for 3.87$
by GumbyJarvis - 08/21/19 02:22 AM
P0455 Large evap leak on my G35
by bowlofturtle - 08/20/19 11:49 PM
Gen 2 ctsv...best oil opinion
by Stickygreen - 08/20/19 11:10 PM
Peak Global Lifetime in Grand Caravan
by Crispysea - 08/20/19 11:03 PM
Supertech "e-cores", ST2 and ST10575 question
by TheScarletRogue - 08/20/19 10:08 PM
Oil for my 2006 5.9 Cummins
by mobilaltima - 08/20/19 09:35 PM
Vise stand
by clinebarger - 08/20/19 09:29 PM
Ecoboost filter
by mpgo4th - 08/20/19 09:16 PM
Removing Sludge to Prevent Engine Failure?
by 04CorCar - 08/20/19 09:05 PM
ULSD and HPFP's
by sloinker - 08/20/19 08:54 PM
2018 Grand Caravan 1 year review
by tiger862 - 08/20/19 08:28 PM
The 10mm socket
by cwilliamsws6 - 08/20/19 08:12 PM
What Fuel is it?
by MolaKule - 08/20/19 08:01 PM
Oil stashes..
by Mad_Hatter - 08/20/19 07:49 PM
Sealing Redundant Door
by gathermewool - 08/20/19 07:25 PM
Cam2 Dexos1 Gen 2 found at Napa
by bbhero - 08/20/19 06:59 PM
Flywheel broke 2012 V8 Silverado, with pics
by 01rangerxl - 08/20/19 05:10 PM
Blade for brush cutter
by Donald - 08/20/19 04:47 PM
Newest Members
Al13, HughBeaumont, 04CorCar, reba, Dope
69013 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
83 registered members (AndyB, 440Magnum, 65convertible, Aredeeem, aquariuscsm, adaminphilly, 8 invisible), 1,302 guests, and 21 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums67
Topics293,587
Posts5,043,005
Members69,013
Most Online3,532
Jul 30th, 2019
Donate to BITOG
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: The Truth & Myths about Ceramic Coatings [Re: HYUNDAIFAN0001] #5131346 06/11/19 12:07 PM
Joined: Mar 2018
Posts: 309
P
Pew Offline
Offline
P
Joined: Mar 2018
Posts: 309
What about ceramic coating and something like a clear bra? A buddy peeled off his clear bra after some 5-6 years and the difference in paint shades is pretty drastic.

Re: The Truth & Myths about Ceramic Coatings [Re: Pew] #5131370 06/11/19 12:49 PM
Joined: May 2018
Posts: 549
H
HYUNDAIFAN0001 Offline OP
OP Offline
H
Joined: May 2018
Posts: 549
Originally Posted by Pew
What about ceramic coating and something like a clear bra? A buddy peeled off his clear bra after some 5-6 years and the difference in paint shades is pretty drastic.

Better or worse than the rest of the car's paint?

Fading is most commonly caused by the effects of UV light's damage. It's the same reason many vehicle exterior waxes and sealants feature UV protection chemistry.

A clear bra (especially if it has UV protection) will certainly provide added protection, especially when it comes to small road debris.


Always taking care of my rides.
Re: The Truth & Myths about Ceramic Coatings [Re: HYUNDAIFAN0001] #5131861 06/11/19 11:04 PM
Joined: Jul 2018
Posts: 115
P
PlzRepond Offline
Offline
P
Joined: Jul 2018
Posts: 115
Originally Posted by HYUNDAIFAN0001
Originally Posted by Pew
What about ceramic coating and something like a clear bra? A buddy peeled off his clear bra after some 5-6 years and the difference in paint shades is pretty drastic.

Better or worse than the rest of the car's paint?

Fading is most commonly caused by the effects of UV light's damage. It's the same reason many vehicle exterior waxes and sealants feature UV protection chemistry.

A clear bra (especially if it has UV protection) will certainly provide added protection, especially when it comes to small road debris.



I find this to be true, uv rays cause a lot of fading. However a product like nu finish, with its synthetic cross linking zinc polymers, helps with the harmful effects of uv rays.

Re: The Truth & Myths about Ceramic Coatings [Re: PlzRepond] #5131980 06/12/19 04:32 AM
Joined: May 2018
Posts: 549
H
HYUNDAIFAN0001 Offline OP
OP Offline
H
Joined: May 2018
Posts: 549
Originally Posted by PlzRepond
I find this to be true, uv rays cause a lot of fading. However a product like nu finish, with its synthetic cross linking zinc polymers, helps with the harmful effects of uv rays.

Yet another thread pollution attempt with the orange bottle off-topic propaganda.


Always taking care of my rides.
Re: The Truth & Myths about Ceramic Coatings [Re: HYUNDAIFAN0001] #5132203 06/12/19 10:31 AM
Joined: Jul 2018
Posts: 115
P
PlzRepond Offline
Offline
P
Joined: Jul 2018
Posts: 115
Originally Posted by HYUNDAIFAN0001
Originally Posted by PlzRepond
I find this to be true, uv rays cause a lot of fading. However a product like nu finish, with its synthetic cross linking zinc polymers, helps with the harmful effects of uv rays.

Yet another thread pollution attempt with the orange bottle off-topic propaganda.


Hi HF, just chiming in on the best uv protection that $ can buy since we were talking about fading from uv exposure. Have a good day brother

Re: The Truth & Myths about Ceramic Coatings [Re: PlzRepond] #5132223 06/12/19 11:05 AM
Joined: Dec 2011
Posts: 6,464
rooflessVW Online Content
Online Content
Joined: Dec 2011
Posts: 6,464
Originally Posted by PlzRepond
Hi HF, just chiming in on the best uv protection that $ can buy since we were talking about fading from uv exposure. Have a good day brother

Dubious claim, at best.


"Zed's dead baby, Zed's dead."
Re: The Truth & Myths about Ceramic Coatings [Re: rooflessVW] #5132294 06/12/19 12:36 PM
Joined: May 2018
Posts: 549
H
HYUNDAIFAN0001 Offline OP
OP Offline
H
Joined: May 2018
Posts: 549
Originally Posted by rooflessVW
Originally Posted by PlzRepond
Hi HF, just chiming in on the best uv protection that $ can buy since we were talking about fading from uv exposure. Have a good day brother

Dubious claim, at best.

Not to mention the orange goop has nothing to do with the topic of this thread...ceramic coating products.

This is just another lame off-topic-trolling effort.


Always taking care of my rides.
Re: The Truth & Myths about Ceramic Coatings [Re: HYUNDAIFAN0001] #5132324 06/12/19 01:14 PM
Joined: Sep 2018
Posts: 93
R
Redright9 Offline
Offline
R
Joined: Sep 2018
Posts: 93
The crazy thing is that people are spending BIG money one ceramic coatings, people that spend time detailing their cars constantly. From what I have been told by a few professionals is these coating are actually better for people who don't take care of their car. The expensive cars that get driven on nice days then get waxed and put away have the wax protection and don't need ceramic. But the people who could benefit most, don't want to spend thousands for a coating, they just go through a auto car wash.

Re: The Truth & Myths about Ceramic Coatings [Re: Redright9] #5132387 06/12/19 02:29 PM
Joined: Jul 2014
Posts: 646
S
Srt20 Offline
Offline
S
Joined: Jul 2014
Posts: 646
Originally Posted by Redright9
The crazy thing is that people are spending BIG money one ceramic coatings, people that spend time detailing their cars constantly. From what I have been told by a few professionals is these coating are actually better for people who don't take care of their car. The expensive cars that get driven on nice days then get waxed and put away have the wax protection and don't need ceramic. But the people who could benefit most, don't want to spend thousands for a coating, they just go through a auto car wash.

Thats me. I had Opti-coat pro installed in July 2014. Durango was 1 or 2 months old.

I have never washed by hand, or waxed by hand the vehicle. Only touchless tunnel washes. Water beads and sheets like coating is new yet. 72K miles on it.
Full disclaimer; vehicle has spend majority of its non driving life in garage. But since April and going forward, the durango will be outside parked.

We have since bought 2 new vehicles. F150 and Jeep Wrangler. I did not get coating on either because they will both see scratches from off roading. I do applied OTC "sealants" to aid in washing and bug removal.

Last edited by Srt20; 06/12/19 02:30 PM.
Re: The Truth & Myths about Ceramic Coatings [Re: HYUNDAIFAN0001] #5132429 06/12/19 03:24 PM
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,029
grampi Online Content
Online Content
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,029
I'm still undecided about using ceramics. For one thing, I enjoy spending time detailing my vehicles, and I know that using ceramics isn't going to make them look any better. Secondly, I KNOW what the products I use now are capable of, as far as how they will look, and how long they will last. I know if I use Collinite on my vehicle, it will easily last 6 months, especially if I use a quick detailer in between wax applications. I feel like I know what I'm getting now and if I make a move to ceramics, it'll be like starting all over again because I won't have a clue about the product(s) I'm using...

Re: The Truth & Myths about Ceramic Coatings [Re: grampi] #5132807 06/13/19 12:26 AM
Joined: Jul 2018
Posts: 115
P
PlzRepond Offline
Offline
P
Joined: Jul 2018
Posts: 115
Originally Posted by grampi
I'm still undecided about using ceramics. For one thing, I enjoy spending time detailing my vehicles, and I know that using ceramics isn't going to make them look any better. Secondly, I KNOW what the products I use now are capable of, as far as how they will look, and how long they will last. I know if I use Collinite on my vehicle, it will easily last 6 months, especially if I use a quick detailer in between wax applications. I feel like I know what I'm getting now and if I make a move to ceramics, it'll be like starting all over again because I won't have a clue about the product(s) I'm using...


Interesting. Do you use quick detailer in between or spray wax?

Re: The Truth & Myths about Ceramic Coatings [Re: PlzRepond] #5132930 06/13/19 07:25 AM
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,029
grampi Online Content
Online Content
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,029
Originally Posted by PlzRepond
Originally Posted by grampi
I'm still undecided about using ceramics. For one thing, I enjoy spending time detailing my vehicles, and I know that using ceramics isn't going to make them look any better. Secondly, I KNOW what the products I use now are capable of, as far as how they will look, and how long they will last. I know if I use Collinite on my vehicle, it will easily last 6 months, especially if I use a quick detailer in between wax applications. I feel like I know what I'm getting now and if I make a move to ceramics, it'll be like starting all over again because I won't have a clue about the product(s) I'm using...


Interesting. Do you use quick detailer in between or spray wax?


Sometimes both...

Re: The Truth & Myths about Ceramic Coatings [Re: rooflessVW] #5133692 06/13/19 10:42 PM
Joined: Apr 2013
Posts: 1,925
G
gofast182 Offline
Offline
G
Joined: Apr 2013
Posts: 1,925
Originally Posted by rooflessVW
Originally Posted by geeman789
At on average $ 1500 per car around here, the cost / benefit is questionable. People have the unrealistic expectation that the coating will protect the paint from EVERYTHING ... as the video states, it doesn't.

So why bother ... $ 1500 buys a lot of professional detailing, or a ton of do it yourself detailing products.

Well... Let's say that you went against the BITOG grain and bought a nice car, that you plan to keep forever. Not because you're cheap, but because it's unique. Let's say that you're finally doing well, and you've saved up. You're going to custom order that new ///M3, Individual Composition, and you're going to pick it up in Germany.

Once it is home, you want to protect your investment, so you visit a professional detailer. He explains the paint correction process, and will correct any swirls or contamination presently on your paint, restoring the finish to a better-than-new shine. How would you like him to protect the car's newfound shine? The detailer of course reccomends a full custom-cut PPF as the ultimate protection, but you're not sure you want to spend $3000+. A ceramic coating is presented as the next best thing. It creates a near-permanent sacrificial layer, so that the scratches that WILL accumulate over time, accumulate in the coating, not directly into your clear coat (think micro-marring here, swirls from washing, brushing against the paint, etc.) It also protects against etching and the car will not accumulate the dust and dirt that lead to scratching as easily. It also makes the car easier to wash - again, less chance of marring the finish.

As a bonus, if your car needs a paint correction in 5 years or so to handle the swirls, you will be polishing (removing) the ceramic coating first - not the clear coat. Or of course, you could do as you say - spend $500 every few years for that same detailer to grind away layer after layer of your clearcoat to remove the defects introduced when using the car.

The unrealistic expectations are not created by the product, they're created by less than reputable sellers and installers. A quality company or professional detailer will be honest, and up front. Managing expectations is customer service 101.

Well put. The vast majority of the ~$1,000-$1,500 prices people see for coatings are the standard paint correction in order to perfect the paint before you apply the coating. As for the protection itself, it offers a lot more than a wax or paint sealant as long as one understands it isn't an excuse not to take care of the finish. In the next few weeks I'm going to apply Polish Angel Cosmic V2 to the new X5. I'm anxious to see how it goes.


2006 S2000 - Berlina Black - PU 10w30, PCX-004
2017 340i xDrive - Black Sapphire - Dlr Fill, 114...898
2019 X5 xDrive 40i - Mineral White - Dlr Fill, 114...898
Re: The Truth & Myths about Ceramic Coatings [Re: HYUNDAIFAN0001] #5136529 06/17/19 12:02 PM
Joined: Mar 2018
Posts: 309
P
Pew Offline
Offline
P
Joined: Mar 2018
Posts: 309
Originally Posted by HYUNDAIFAN0001
Originally Posted by Pew
What about ceramic coating and something like a clear bra? A buddy peeled off his clear bra after some 5-6 years and the difference in paint shades is pretty drastic.

Better or worse than the rest of the car's paint?

Fading is most commonly caused by the effects of UV light's damage. It's the same reason many vehicle exterior waxes and sealants feature UV protection chemistry.

A clear bra (especially if it has UV protection) will certainly provide added protection, especially when it comes to small road debris


The area that was covered with the clear bra was better than the uncovered areas (that are now faded.) Which is great to know that the clear bra works, it just sucks taking it off for whatever reason and finding that the car looks like you just got a Maaco job.

What would you do for a car that is 95% highway, used on alot of roadtrips, and plan to keep? My current car is so riddled with chips and dents from my road trips to the point that I don't even bother detailing the front bumper, just wash. Sometimes I even keep it dirtier than normal so I don't see the hail damage lol.

Last edited by Pew; 06/17/19 12:11 PM.
Re: The Truth & Myths about Ceramic Coatings [Re: Pew] #5136591 06/17/19 01:16 PM
Joined: Dec 2011
Posts: 6,464
rooflessVW Online Content
Online Content
Joined: Dec 2011
Posts: 6,464
Originally Posted by Pew
What would you do for a car that is 95% highway, used on alot of roadtrips, and plan to keep?

A whole-car custom-cut PPF.

A quality SiO2 coating professionally applied is the next best thing.


"Zed's dead baby, Zed's dead."
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

BOB IS THE OIL GUY® Powered by UBB.threads™