Protecting The Brass Deflector

Status
Not open for further replies.
To keep the coating from chipping, I put a piece of Velcro tape on all of my AR15's brass deflectors. Even electrical tape will work.

TAPE.jpeg

Coating? I thought pretty much all ARs were anodized? Mine is.

EDIT: You should put some tape under those rear sight screws there, shaky hands!
laugh.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted by maxdustington
Coating? I thought pretty much all ARs were anodized? Mine is.

EDIT: You should put some tape under those rear sight screws there, shaky hands!
laugh.gif

There is Phosphate, and then there is Nitride. Phosphate scratches pretty easy, Nitride is like the type of coating that Glock's have, very durable!

There is another type that starts with a "D" I believe, but I'm too lazy to google it! It is "Durable"

This is all just info I overheard at the bowling alley bar on 5th ave.

Originally Posted by LotI
Must not be mil-spec if it's chipping. If I owned AR's(cough), they would just have brass marks.

Same here . Bore cleaner that smells of ammonia takes the brass marks off .

But if I had a problem , I would also use electrical tape & not Velcro .

Brass deflectors are left overs from the 60 and 70s,when there was limited parts availability. Your ar is short stroking.Check to see if your gas block is tight and the gas tube is clear of powder residue. Swap an ar 15 bolt carrier if your running a m16 carrier. A lighter buffer can also cure your ejection angle.

Originally Posted by NOTEVIL81
Brass deflectors are left overs from the 60 and 70s,when there was limited parts availability. Your ar is short stroking.Check to see if your gas block is tight and the gas tube is clear of powder residue. Swap an ar 15 bolt carrier if your running a m16 carrier. A lighter buffer can also cure your ejection angle.

DANG! What a tough crowd! Okay, I wasn't SPECIFIC enough.
smirk.gif

Let me REPHRASE! The tape is to keep it from getting marked up! I shoot steel case ammo 98% of the time. (Now, tell me why/how I shouldn't be shooting SCA!
smirk.gif
)
And, NO, my AR's ARE NOT short stroking!

You could be building maintenance where i work ... sorry, not a compliment. Jut wondering why you would mind any brass markings? Or steel case for that matter. I've always said any AR (I have a few) that won't shoot steel cased crap won't protect my life. I have other AR's that will never see the steel junk and the horrid powders they tend to contain. That AR is meant to be hammered and get hot from firing.

Originally Posted by BISCUT
You could be building maintenance where i work ... sorry, not a compliment. Jut wondering why you would mind any brass markings? Or steel case for that matter. I've always said any AR (I have a few) that won't shoot steel cased crap won't protect my life. I have other AR's that will never see the steel junk and the horrid powders they tend to contain. That AR is meant to be hammered and get hot from firing.

1) Why would I try to take your maintenance job away from you?
grin.gif

2) They're my AR's and I will treat them as I see fit. You aren't paying for them, so why worry about them?
3) ALL of my AR's shoot that CRAPPY steel case ammo just fine. There is NOTHING wrong with it.
4) My AR's get shot often, but I don't shoot them to see how much abuse I can rain down on them.

Wow your are welcome.Ignorance is bliss. definition of short stroking is an ejection of spent cartridge beyond 4:30. Cartridge ejection should occur between 3:00 and 4:30.I gave you the information to solve your ejection problem.Now that you stated your shooting steel cased ammo the majority of that import. This powder burns leaving greater soot too block the gas tube and gasblock . Nothing wrong with steel case ammo in the ar-15. Certified armorer colt 1911 and m4.

Where is the rolls eyes button?

Its a tool. They look cooler with marks. That gun looks spiffy new with hardly any marks on it. After its been shot some times, it will show some wear, and then (hopefully) you wont care about such non-issues.

I've never cleaned, wiped off, or tried to protect a "brass deflector" before? Shrugs...

Originally Posted by KneeGrinder
There is Phosphate, and then there is Nitride. Phosphate scratches pretty easy, Nitride is like the type of coating that Glock's have, very durable!

Annodizing is the word you are looking for....You are not phosphating or nitriding an AR15 upper.... ever.

definition of short stroking is an ejection of spent cartridge beyond 4:30. Cartridge ejection should occur between 3:00 and 4:30.I gave you the information to solve your ejection problem.

Did the OP state where his rounds were ejecting? I didn't see that anywhere in the post. Just that he wanted to protect his brass deflector for some reason (???) Most rounds hit the brass deflector, AND THEN fall into a pile somewhere to the right between 1 o clock and 5 o clock. Im not sure how you deduced from what he wrote that his gun was short stroking? Or that he even had an ejection problem? Confused...

Originally Posted by bubbatime
definition of short stroking is an ejection of spent cartridge beyond 4:30. Cartridge ejection should occur between 3:00 and 4:30.I gave you the information to solve your ejection problem.

Did the OP state where his rounds were ejecting? I didn't see that anywhere in the post. Just that he wanted to protect his brass deflector for some reason (???) Most rounds hit the brass deflector, AND THEN fall into a pile somewhere to the right between 1 o clock and 5 o clock. Im not sure how you deduced from what he wrote that his gun was short stroking? Or that he even had an ejection problem? Confused...

Does it REALLY bother you that much that I put a pc. of Velcro tape on my deflector? SERIOUSLY?
I have installed BCM extractor upgrade kits to help eject the sca.
Are y'all going to pick me apart now for doing this?

https://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-Extractor-Spring-Uprade-Kit-p/bcm-exspring-1.htm

Read the information i posted above bubba. Simple deduction "ejected cases are striking the deflector". When Stoner designed the ar upper right here in Costa Mesa Ca. it was to accommodate the various bullet weights and lengths at that time. We all know propellant problems from Vietnam.we are talking about a weapon invented in 1957 and sold to Malaysia in 1959. The year is 2019. The industry has improved the weapon in all aspects. Many of us run slab side uppers "no deflector". Cases striking the deflector is cause of concern for longevity of said weapon. The case deflection beyond 4:30 is an indication of improper dwell timing of the bolt and barrel extension.

That is why the extractor upgrade cannot change the angle of ejection. the extractor is mounted on the bolt and is still moving at the same velocity. Simple physics

Originally Posted by BlueOvalFitter
I have installed BCM extractor upgrade kits to help eject the sca.
Are y'all going to pick me apart now for doing this?

https://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-Extractor-Spring-Uprade-Kit-p/bcm-exspring-1.htm

The rubber donut adds too much pressure on the extractor, which has caused malfunctions for me. I don't really care for the BCM extractor spring and rubber donut. I think the Colt Gold spring is the gold standard. Just the perfect amount of spring pressure, not too much, not too little. I buy them 10 at a time from Brownells...

https://www.brownells.com/rifle-par...-extractor-spring-assembly-prod4840.aspx

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back