Diagnose My Brakes

Status
Not open for further replies.
new pads will not smooth the rotor but if theres enough thickness rotors can be easily cut if they are smoothies. my rears on a preowned 28 thou 2011 frontier looked worse so i replaced with higher carbon higher quality EBC rotors + pads. honda is living on their reputation of past!!

I have to respectfully disagree with that kind of scoring being normal, No car I own has brake rotors that look like that. The Wife's Corolla has close to 120,000 miles on the original un-cut rotors....While they have some minor scoring, Those are 3 times as bad.
Just put it's 3rd set of front brake pads on a few months ago (Including the OE set when new)

The OP`s rear rotor is heavily scored to the point of being unusual compared to the others hence abnormal. A complaint to the dealer is justified here and should be done soon IMO.

Here are the rears on my Mazda 3 for OPs comparison. They were done about three years ago and saw one Canadian winter before I moved to CA. You can see rust where the pads don't make contact, but it is nice and smooth on the contact area.

[Linked Image]

I feel that's abnormal for 10,000 miles, particularly if it is unique in comparison to the other rotor surfaces. I agree a complaint to dealer under warranty is warranted.

Originally Posted by Throt
This picture was taken today of the drivers side rear. The rotor surface is a bunch of ridges with rust present, it's obvious the pad is not making full contact. This car doesn't even have 10,000 miles on it yet. What the heck is going on? Part of me wants to take it in to the dealer and let them deal with it. The other part doesn't want the headache and wants to take them apart myself and fix it. However, if new rotors or pads are needed, I want Honda to eat that cost, not me. Is this something that would be covered under warranty? The passenger side isn't much better. It brakes great though, minus the ATS I had with Brembo's, this is the best stopping car I've owned. Probably guide pins but already? Just can't believe this is happening already.

Would this happen to be on the Honda?

https://www.civicx.com/threads/are-the-rear-brake-rotors-on-the-si-and-other-models-defective.27811/

Originally Posted by dbias
Originally Posted by Throt
This picture was taken today of the drivers side rear. The rotor surface is a bunch of ridges with rust present, it's obvious the pad is not making full contact. This car doesn't even have 10,000 miles on it yet. What the heck is going on? Part of me wants to take it in to the dealer and let them deal with it. The other part doesn't want the headache and wants to take them apart myself and fix it. However, if new rotors or pads are needed, I want Honda to eat that cost, not me. Is this something that would be covered under warranty? The passenger side isn't much better. It brakes great though, minus the ATS I had with Brembo's, this is the best stopping car I've owned. Probably guide pins but already? Just can't believe this is happening already.

Would this happen to be on the Honda?

https://www.civicx.com/threads/are-the-rear-brake-rotors-on-the-si-and-other-models-defective.27811/

Yes this is on the Honda. That is weird! In the link the Civic is having the exact same issue, drivers side rear with the passenger side looking better. I emailed a pic off to the sales guy and he sent it to the service manager who came back with "nothing looks abnormal". Bs. Something isn't right. Going in on Saturday to have them check it out.

Looks abnormal for 10k--if you said 75k I'd think normal, but this seems too quick.

I'd take it for a spin, 10-20 miles, the stop and check brake temps. Just to rule out slide pins. OTOH, if it was me, I'd already have taken it apart and checked it out, I have not liked the results when others do brake work for me.

Originally Posted by supton
Looks abnormal for 10k--if you said 75k I'd think normal, but this seems too quick.

I'd take it for a spin, 10-20 miles, the stop and check brake temps. Just to rule out slide pins. OTOH, if it was me, I'd already have taken it apart and checked it out, I have not liked the results when others do brake work for me.

My assumption is that the guide pins are the problem. I have been veryyyy tempted to take it apart myself and fix but if I can get Honda to throw on a new set of rotors and pads that would be preferable. If they take a look and refuse to do anything, I'll handle it myself. I know something isn't right, especially for 10k miles. Like you said, if this was a 75k mile car in a rust belt state that would be another thing. I'll update after my Saturday visit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back