Remington RM380

Status
Not open for further replies.
Received an E-mail ad from Rural King with Remington RM380 on sale for $169. Called the store to see if they had any available and evidently it's an online-only sale even though the ad makes no mention of this.

I need a small concealed carry pistol and these have good reviews. RK applies shipping even if you pick up at their store, so price climbs closer to $200 with shipping. What do you fellas think of this gun, worth the price?

with the recent trends of Remington and freedom group I would be suspicious of the overall reliability. However for 200 dollars even if it doesn't work perfectly you can sell it on and recoup most of the money if not all that you paid for it and have a pistol in the meantime.

If you have a couple extra bucks I would look into a ruger lcp or ec9 as a good alternative if that doesn't work out.

I'd buy one all day long at that price. I have the R51 in 9mm and the RP45 in 45 ACP. Both are great guns. I've considered something a little smaller than my R51 for a pocket carry gun and the RM380 would probably fit the bill. I didn't know about Remington's bad quality reputation until after I had bought the R51. My positive experience with mine led me to get the RP45.

Originally Posted by E150GT
How can you go wrong for $200?

If it doesn't go bang when your life or someone's else's is at stake. IF YOU ARE USING IT FOR SD. And I am not said it will fail I just don't know. But I have put 5000 rounds through my G42 so its very unlikely (but not impossible) to fail. Its the only gun I now train on. But truthfully the odds are like being struck by lightening that you would HAVE to use it. Its really a statistical thing. The more people TRAINED to SD the more likely a bg is taken out.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Al

If it doesn't go bang when your life or someone's else's is at stake. IF YOU ARE USING IT FOR SD. And I am not said it will fail I just don't know. But I have put 5000 rounds through my G42 so its very unlikely (but not impossible) to fail. Its the only gun I now train on. But truthfully the odds are like being struck by lightening that you would HAVE to use it. Its really a statistical thing. The more people TRAINED to SD the more likely a bg is taken out.

Well one should always figure out the reliability before carrying. I bought a sig P238 and it was just a hunk of junk I got rid of it.

The RM 380 is a nice looking little pistol though I don't have any experience with it. I bought my 1st gen Ruger LCP for $160 shipped from PSA a few years ago. I had to send it back to Ruger for a failure to go into battery issue. Ruger fixed it free and it has been perfect since.

For a range toy you can't. For SD, never understood wanting the cheapest weapon you can find. Like Al said, the odds that you'll ever need it are probably higher than getting hit by lightening while buying the winning Powerball ticket.... but people have to defend themselves every day and someday it might be you, why not a platform with an established solid reputation?

Truth is these little pistols are so hard to shoot accurately unless a person practices A LOT it might not matter if it goes bang.

Too little, too late. I was going to buy it, but it was sold out by the time I got back to the computer. The reviews are stellar, and .380 is the caliber I'm looking for in a pocket pistol. I'm going to keep looking for it, even Rural King's regular $229 price isn't bad, but I'll wait until I see it under $200 for sure.

Originally Posted by AZjeff
For a range toy you can't. For SD, never understood wanting the cheapest weapon you can find. Like Al said, the odds that you'll ever need it are probably higher than getting hit by lightening while buying the winning Powerball ticket.... but people have to defend themselves every day and someday it might be you, why not a platform with an established solid reputation?

You just said why a person might want a cheap weapon--- perhaps because the odds are so low that you'll ever need it? Isn't a gun better than no gun? To each their own, why judge someone else's buying decision?

Originally Posted by 92saturnsl2

You just said why a person might want a cheap weapon--- perhaps because the odds are so low that you'll ever need it? Isn't a gun better than no gun? To each their own, why judge someone else's buying decision?

Sorry, wasn't judging you, lots of threads about how cheap is a certain pistol. Absolutley the first rule of concealed carry is have the gun. IMO an argument for the cheapest carry pistol because you'll probably never need it might be overruled by the simple fact it had better work if you do. Buy what makes you feel safe.

A good quality pepper spray gun is probably as effective at micro gun ranges.

Last edited:
Remington has really screwed the pooch with anything pistol related.

Remington bought Rohrbaugh firearms, and really messed them up. The RM380 is a clapped out, garbage version of the old Rohrbaugh R9 (a $1000 gun)

Me personally, I wouldn't gift one of these to an enemy.

If you want a small .380, look at the Ruger LCP. They can be found for $170-$200 when on sale.

Its simple really. Whats your life worth? Lets say a homeowner is new to firearms, is adulting, and has realized that the world isnt all puppies and rainbows. As such, this new homeowner, fresh out of college, doesn't know much about guns, but does want to keep a firearm in their house to protect their family.

Do they buy a $200 HiPoint? Or a $400 Smith & Wesson M&P. Or a $500 Glock? Or a $600 Beretta. Or an $800 Sig Sauer? Or a $850 Colt AR15?

The M&P is only $200 more than the HiPoint. Should the homeowner "splurge" and buy the better designed weapon, that is much higher quality, that is in actual police duty holsters, for only $200 more?

The answer is a resounding, unquestionable, YES. Why? Becuase its a quality firearm, that will last a life time. That homeowner can stick that weapon in their nightstand for the next 50 years, and know that its a quality piece that will protect them if the time comes. Whats an extra $200 divided up over the next 50 years that our homeowner will be alive? $4 a year!

There is literally no excuse whatsoever to buy a $200 gun as your one and only firearm. You're broke? Yeah, we have all been there. Have a garage sale. You're telling me you cant scrounge up an extra $200? Nonsense. Even the homeless guys can scrounge up an extra $200 in a weekend if they tried. Put it on the credit card. Pay it off over the next year if you have to.

I checked today at lunch and Rural King had the RM380 back in stock, still at the $169 online price, so I bit. They are shipping it for some reason unknown to me-- I don't understand why I can't just pick one up in their store since they stock them but I digress.

I can find nothing but good reviews on this gun, literally 5 stars on most any retail site that sells it, that allows user reviews (including Rural Kings). All the complaints I've seen have to do with the long trigger, which that doesn't bother me on a conceal weapon with no mechanical safety. I trust reviews from real live humans that own and shoot the gun, not the garbage paid reviews you find in the Google top 10. I spent at least a good couple hours researching this and I just can't find a reason not to buy this. Should be exactly what I'm looking for. I should also note that the Remington has an ambidextrous magazine release which is helpful as a lefty.

Looking forward to hearing your first hand experience with it. I like learning about guns, although I'm not really in to semi auto pistols. I didn't know Remington was even making a pocket .380, so I've learned something new from your post.

I checked today at lunch and Rural King had the RM380 back in stock, still at the $169 online price, so I bit. They are shipping it for some reason unknown to me-- I don't understand why I can't just pick one up in their store since they stock them but I digress.

Shipping it to where/who? Though any gun bought on-line had to be shipped to a licensed gun dealer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back