Latest Scam Method?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Background, I am selling a couple of pistols and listed them on Armslist and Texas Gun Trader. I have had more than one person ping me about them using this same format (with the same FFL number):

Originally Posted by
I appreciate the quick reply.I am OK with the price stated and I would like to make an instant purchase through a certified cashier check due to tight frame work and really occupied schedule which is the reason I won't be able to come for the pick up. I will be adding an extra $70 for shipping, insurance and holding of the item on my behalf …I urge you to get back to me with the details requested below to get the check mailed out to you without delay, If you are not willing to ship or never shipped before I could organize for a local pick pick up by a FFL dealer close to you

Details needed:

Name to be on the check…..

Complete address to receive the check…..

Phone number............(so i can text you)

Final asking price..

Here's the FFL dealer's License # X-XX-XXX-XX-XX-XXXXX, i can email you a copy of the dealer's FFL license copy if you want.

The smacks of a scam and I would not do this anyway since I am not shipping them and the potential buyer must have a valid LTC (which means they passed a background check).

Anyone see this one before?

Anytime you get this message, it's a scam for sure.

I appreciate the quick reply.I am OK with the price stated and I would like to make an instant purchase through a certified cashier check due to tight frame work and really occupied schedule which is the reason I won't be able to come for the pick up. I will be adding an extra $70 for shipping, insurance and holding of the item on my behalf

I'm not sure why you think it's the latest scam, it's been around for a long while. The cashier's check is fake and will take a couple weeks for the banks to realize it's fake and then it's deducted from your account. Meanwhile you're out whatever you're selling. It's a very old scam.

Originally Posted by Wolf359
I'm not sure why you think it's the latest scam, it's been around for a long while. The cashier's check is fake and will take a couple weeks for the banks to realize it's fake and then it's deducted from your account. Meanwhile you're out whatever you're selling. It's a very old scam.
It was a question--I had not seen it before but as I said it smacked of a scam.

When you buy or sell a gun on line its always Postal Money Order and it cashes before you ship the gun to the FFL.
You don't send to P. O. Boxes. If they won't give you an address its bogus.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by 2015_PSD
It was a question--I had not seen it before but as I said it smacked of a scam.

They're always adapting their scams to the current market. It's still a scam. Always deal locally on craigslist.

Don't deal with guns, but with local car sales I always meet them at their bank or credit union and make sure a check is cut from a withdrawal at that site*. Also a source of notary service if necessary. If it was a cash deal I'd meet at a police station, but hate having more than fifty bucks on me at any time. Restricts you to local deals, but it's better than being scammed.

* Never done it, but if they were paying cash and it was over a couple hundred dollars, I'd probably have them bring it to my credit union so the amount could be deposited then and there.

Last edited:
Oh yeah, people that sell stuff should always meet in public. I know one person who likes to say meet at the bank by the security cameras.

Oh yeah, people that sell stuff should always meet in public. I know one person who likes to say meet at the bank by the security cameras.

Guns? Sure. Cars? Sure.

I do plenty of other business through the internet and mail. You just have to have a brain on your head and know how to use it.

About 14 years ago, my daughter found some artsy thing in the trash and listed it for sale on CL for $200. Someone sent her a cashier's check for $1200 and asked her keep $250 and send the item and $950 back to them. My daughter quickly recognized the scam but wanted to cash the cashier's check and keep the whole $1200 and the item. I told her it was a fake check but she was at the age where dad doesn't know everything. She went to the local bank and asked them it was a real check. They quickly told her it was fake.

Originally Posted by rooflessVW

Guns? Sure. Cars? Sure.

I do plenty of other business through the internet and mail. You just have to have a brain on your head and know how to use it.

Plus ONE

Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson
When you buy or sell a gun on line its always Postal Money Order and it cashes before you ship the gun to the FFL.

I've received merchandise via Ebay and other sources for the past 20 yrs via out of town PO Box....mainly because I don't trust my local town PO to drop it off safely....or without required sigs if they listed.
Never had an issue. You can require a signature and someone at the PO branch will know who picked it up. I've had several items lost in my home "mail box" or on the front steps so I don't
do that very often. One time they said I signed for something when I didn't.

No doubt sellers can scam just as well as buyers by requiring US Postal Money Orders....and then NOT sending the merchandise. Unless I knew the seller well I wouldn't dare send them a MO. Paypal at 3% is plenty good enough.....or use a trusted 3rd party service both sides would trust. If a seller won't pay $3 Paypal fee on every $100 in value.....they have potential issues. The cost of doing business safely these days for those who have to ship.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by 69GTX
Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson

I've received merchandise via Ebay and other sources for the past 20 yrs via out of town PO Box....mainly because I don't trust my local town PO to drop it off safely....or without required sigs if they listed.
Never had an issue. You can require a signature and someone at the PO branch will know who picked it up. I've had several items lost in my home "mail box" or on the front steps so I don't
do that very often. One time they said I signed for something when I didn't.

No doubt sellers can scam just as well as buyers by requiring US Postal Money Orders....and then NOT sending the merchandise. Unless I knew the seller well I wouldn't dare send them a MO. Paypal at 3% is plenty good enough.....or use a trusted 3rd party service both sides would trust. If a seller won't pay $3 Paypal fee on every $100 in value.....they have potential issues. The cost of doing business safely these days for those who have to ship.

I've been buying and selling a lot of things online since the mid 90's not one lost item or one scam has made it by me yet. No PO Boxes and Postal money orders only or its no deal. Of course you can do business any way you want.

Last edited:
About a year ago, we did a long distance Armslist transaction. I had my Guard way up, we were the buyers. I asked for & got other info on the seller, he had a profile in a few places. He was just great.

At least on Gunbroker most of the sellers are somewhat vetted, those used items may not meet expectations of condition. I prefer the parking lot meetup.

Yeah. . .you deal with all kinds when selling online. The first and only firearm I ever sold online was through Gunbroker--I posted a lengthy description of an HK .45 duty pistol that I'd carried since issued new (and later purchased). The description explained in DETAIL that it had holster-wear and was a daily duty pistol for over 3 years. Pictures posted with the ad showed close-ups of the areas that had wear to the finish. A guy several states away contacted me and wanted me to ship it directly to him. . .nope. He relented and agreed to ship to a licensed gun dealer. I waited for the financial end to clear and I shipped it. The next day I get a call from the guy and he TELLS me he's not happy with the wear on the gun and that he'd be returning the gun to me immediately--NOPE! I made it as clear as humanly possible that the gun would show wear and did my best to photograph it. I told him if he returned the gun to me it would be his loss as I wasn't about to refund his money after someone had done God knows what to the firearm (switched parts etc.). We went back and forth a bit, with him threatening to file a complaint with Gunbroker etc.--I told him I think my ad would pass muster in any complaint situation and to pound sand. Long story short, he kept the gun (which was very nice BTW) and he just didn't leave feedback for me. That is the last time I'll sell any firearm that way. . ..what a PIA!

Face to face or consignment is the only way for me . Our local PD has a " Secure Area " near the front door with cameras on it . You can exchange items or handle child custody matters , etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back