RockAuto Shipping

Status
Not open for further replies.
I ordered some things from RockAuto today. When I added new things to my order, I noticed the shipping locations of parts already on the order would change, and not in a good way. It appears RockAuto is trying to maximize shipping costs.

I typed in a longish order several ways and reported on the "magical changing warehouses" here.
The conclusion that their system is as dishonest as the day is long was concurred with by many here.
Another point of agreement was that breaking up orders or otherwise side-stepping additional shipping costs kept RA as a viable option.

It illustrated to me once again how we're able to turn a blind eye to dishonesty or patronize liars and thieves if we can benefit from it.
Be honest, that's what it is.

The mind blower was the poster who said it was OK because RA "...was only trying to maximize its profits" or some such.
Must've been Mr. or Mrs. Rock.

They are last resort is Amazon or my local places don't have it in stock.

It's not my problem that RA has multiple warehouses; don't pass the extra shipping costs on to me. Seems RA should consolidate everything into one warehouse and stop playing games.

Totally agree! Playing with items in the cart makes the shipping charges magically change. I've canceled a few orders from them at the last step because the shipping charges make it insanely expensive.

Originally Posted by Leo99
It's not my problem that RA has multiple warehouses; don't pass the extra shipping costs on to me. Seems RA should consolidate everything into one warehouse and stop playing games.

That's the thing, Rockauto has NO warehouses. They simply tie into large, privately-operated auto parts warehouses/distributors around the country. Simply put, they have to pay each of these warehouses a) a portion of the sale and b) fees related to picking, packing, and shipping the order (even if RA ships these items against their shipping accounts).

Some people don't look at the shipping costs and only at the cost of the item(s). To me, that's just silly - it's all part of the cost to you. I've comparison-priced items, say F/R brake pads and rotors, between RA and Amazon and have ended up getting a part or two from RA and the others from Amazon so that it cost me the least amount of money in total. I'm sure everyone as ran across a part on RA that's 1/2 the price that Amazon sells it for but once you add their shipping charges - and worse if it's two or more items that end up coming from different warehouses - it ends up being cheaper from Amazon.

Originally Posted by K20FA5
Totally agree! Playing with items in the cart makes the shipping charges magically change. I've canceled a few orders from them at the last step because the shipping charges make it insanely expensive.

I've done the same and call me a "conspiracy" type, but I believe they design their ordering system to use multiple warehouses. Now, one "legitimate" reason for them to do that is to share sales amongst their different suppliers. If they show favoritism towards some, those left out might raise their costs to RA or choose to stop doing business with them.

What is most annoying is when you want to buy related parts, say brake pads and rotors. I've tried many times and no matter what brand, grade, etc I look at with pads and then rotors, they always seemed to come from different warehouses. Does that happen to everyone, 100% of the time ? Probably not, but it's been my experience....

I use my work address for shipping and usually when I get the actual bill, it's cheaper as a business shipping address is cheaper than a home address.

Their shipping costs can be outrageous. It can turn a cheap/decent priced item into an outrageous purchase.

I would say for me being an Amazon Prime member, Amazon works out to be just as cheap or cheaper better than 50% of the time and Amazons return policy system and policy is easier and friendlier IMO.

Last edited:
Lot's of variables like quality too. I usually order one thing that's fairly competitive price with the shipping. But I will order multiple and pay the shipping depending on how fast I need it and whether I need a reliable supplier. And Price is probably the big thing, decide with the shipping and then decide whether I'm gonna buy it from eBay or not. Headlight bulbs were a great value even with shipping from RockAuto, whereas I couldn't get regular lug nuts so I bought 20 of them from eBay for $10. Brake pads For my buddies car were maybe $3 more from RockAuto with shipping, but because it wasn't for me I bought it from RockAuto and not eBay for return-ability and warranty purposes. They were probably the same manufacturer 'coz they had the same part number but I wanna ability to return them or if there is any problem to deal with someone concrete.

Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter
Their shipping costs can be outrageous. It can turn a cheap/decent priced item into an outrageous purchase.

I would say for me being an Amazon Prime member, Amazon works out to be just as cheap or cheaper better than 50% of the time and Amazons return policy system and policy is easier and friendlier IMO.

I've only had to return one thing to RA so far, and it was PAINFUL! They treated me like I was trying to rip them off! Their system said the wipers fit my truck, so I ordered them and they didn't fit. I sent pics showing they didn't fit. Then they told me I couldn't return them because they were used, according to my pic LOL.

Finally after countless emails they took them back. It was a nightmare! Amazon just would have taken them with no questions asked. BTW, I ordered the replacements for these from Amazon and they fit wonderfully!

RA calculates shipping by ZIP CODE. I don't see where shipping to a "business address" could be cheaper.
All those $3.95 to $7.95 (and up) dollar by dollar fees aren't going to be adjusted.

What they miss BIG TIME is that it's impossible to buy small items fairly.

Add in light weight items like light bulbs, a belt or an air filter and it's as if you're shipping lead bars.

What they need to do is maintain a dedicated fleet of inter warehouse jet planes to ferry small parts about so that they can ship from one place.

Originally Posted by DoubleNickels
8 spark plugs is $7.99. 4 spark plugs is $2.99.

Is that possible because your spark plug that you ordered comes in packs of four and they have to take the extra labor to open up a pack of four and take two of them out to fulfill your order?
However, I have seen where I add a single spark plug to my order and the shipping rate suddenly goes up a dollar or two.

Tried ordering cabin air filters. The cost of air filters $7, shipping FedEx ground $8.99, both filters from the same warehouse. I ordered them from ebay, $10 shipped.

Originally Posted by DoubleNickels
8 spark plugs is $7.99. 4 spark plugs is $2.99.

With $14 shipping. No thanks I avoid rock auto.

I guess it depends on your location. Most of the items I bought from RA, (item +shipping) ended up being cheaper than the same on Amazon with their "free" shipping. Sometimes the difference was only a couple of bucks, sometimes more than $10. But I usually buy 1-3 items, so the shipping costs don't stack up too high.

On another note, having some diversification in the market place is only a good thing and I don't want to only feed the Amazon giant, gotta give the other guys some of my business too.

Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter

True. I like RA's variety but their return policy is horrendous.

Originally Posted by hallstevenson

I've done the same and call me a "conspiracy" type, but I believe they design their ordering system to use multiple warehouses. Now, one "legitimate" reason for them to do that is to share sales amongst their different suppliers. If they show favoritism towards some, those left out might raise their costs to RA or choose to stop doing business with them.

Ugh, so now there's a conspiracy of online auto parts sales?!?

For all of you that are complaining about Rock Auto, the best thing that you can do is vote with your feet.
Take your business elsewhere.

I, for one, will continue to get screaming deals...

Last edited:
Whenever shopping online, auto parts included, you always have to consider the total price - including add-ons such as tax and shipping. Rarely have I found Rock Auto to be the best deal. Sometimes the bottom price is comparable, but other places offer service that is so much better that I will go with the other options.

For example, I just ordered spark plugs for my SL550. I shopped Rock Auto, Amazon Prime, and FCP Euro. Amazon Prime and Rock Auto both wanted $5.99 each, so $47.92 for 8. Rock Auto wants $4.99 for their cheapest shipping, so now $52.91 for Rock Auto. FCP Euro wanted $6.38. Total is $51.04 so I qualify for free shipping. Free shipping at FCP Euro is faster than the $4.99 shipping at Rock Auto. Plus FCP Euro gives lifetime replacement on every part, including wear items like spark plugs. So I paid $3 more than I could have gotten them from Amazon, but $2 less than Rock Auto. And I will never pay for spark plugs for my SL550 again.

I will admit that I like their parts search engine, so I will use it quite often, and of course compare prices while I am there. But I always calculate shipping before deciding.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back