Recent Topics
Alignment shop questions
by Jeff999. 07/16/19 09:45 PM
ZF Aftermarket, Why Change Your ATF
by BMWTurboDzl. 07/16/19 08:10 PM
Goodyear Wrangler DuraTrac
by NHRATA. 07/16/19 08:05 PM
5 qt Castrol GTX Magnatec 5w-30 $10.30 on Amazon
by gallydif. 07/16/19 07:59 PM
My new rig - 1987 Ford Econoline 27' Glendale RV
by caprice_2nv. 07/16/19 07:44 PM
Air Compressor OCI?
by Vern_in_IL. 07/16/19 07:35 PM
Looking for an SUV
by dgunay. 07/16/19 07:29 PM
Castrol GTX Magnatec 5w30
by Envoyguy. 07/16/19 07:21 PM
2019 Subaru Dual X-Mode
by buster. 07/16/19 06:36 PM
Wear Metal Max?
by tsm750. 07/16/19 05:54 PM
Harbor Freight 25% off Thurs - Sunday
by JC1. 07/16/19 05:52 PM
80% Furnace exhaust silencer?
by PandaBear. 07/16/19 05:10 PM
Pennzoil Ultra on Sale
by Nyati. 07/16/19 04:39 PM
Not All Mid-Grade Blended At the Pump
by RayCJ. 07/16/19 04:30 PM
Determining if car battery has much life left
by paulri. 07/16/19 02:47 PM
kohker oil recomendation
by 1978elcamino. 07/16/19 02:44 PM
Rear Diff Seal Leak?
by Pike51. 07/16/19 02:31 PM
Using synthetic to clean a crankcase
by NavyVet88. 07/16/19 02:26 PM
Next Project: 1968 Cub Cadet Model 72
by Phishin. 07/16/19 02:14 PM
Newest Members
MBhuntington, captainfloss, Lyndol, Belczek, Bronco628
68681 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
103 registered members (4WD, 2015_PSD, alcyon, AdditiveOCD, 69GTX, AandPDan, 6 invisible), 2,055 guests, and 24 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums67
Topics291,967
Posts5,014,196
Members68,681
Most Online2,967
Mar 10th, 2019
Donate to BITOG
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Transmission Pan Gasket? #5116019
05/26/19 07:12 AM
05/26/19 07:12 AM
Joined: Jul 2015
Posts: 287
TX-Texas
mctmatt Offline OP
mctmatt  Offline OP

Joined: Jul 2015
Posts: 287
TX-Texas
Did a pan drop yesterday on my 07 flex fuel Impala. Put in 7 quarts of Castrol Dex VI along with Lubriguard Red and I think the Impala appreciated it. I exchanged the filter with a Hasting premium but the rubber gasket seemed very flimsy and was difficult to work with . Curiouser what gaskets others prefer be it rubber, cork, or whatever form you like.

Re: Transmission Pan Gasket? [Re: mctmatt] #5116025
05/26/19 07:18 AM
05/26/19 07:18 AM
Joined: Apr 2010
Posts: 1,713
Suburban Washington DC
atikovi Online content
atikovi  Online Content

Joined: Apr 2010
Posts: 1,713
Suburban Washington DC
RTV. Superior to any gasket you can use.

Re: Transmission Pan Gasket? [Re: mctmatt] #5116083
05/26/19 08:18 AM
05/26/19 08:18 AM
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 32,467
NY
demarpaint Offline
demarpaint  Offline

Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 32,467
NY
I use a gasket and this: High Tack It has never let me down, and gasket removal for future pan drops or filter changes are very easy. I was never a big fan of RTV, unless it had to be used as a last resort. Opinions vary.


God Bless Our Troops

Re: Transmission Pan Gasket? [Re: atikovi] #5116091
05/26/19 08:26 AM
05/26/19 08:26 AM
Joined: May 2019
Posts: 717
WA
Mad_Hatter Offline
Mad_Hatter  Offline

Joined: May 2019
Posts: 717
WA
Originally Posted by atikovi
RTV. Superior to any gasket you can use.


What he 🖕said. I just did my valve covers with permatex ultra black and zero leaks.

Re: Transmission Pan Gasket? [Re: mctmatt] #5116123
05/26/19 08:53 AM
05/26/19 08:53 AM
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 22,007
MA, Mittelfranken.de
Trav Offline
Trav  Offline

Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 22,007
MA, Mittelfranken.de
If this is the 4T65E the best gasket is the reusable one you took off, you can reuse that one a few times. The floppy rubber ones with the filter kits are not very good, the OE is rubber coated steel. RTV is my least favorite gasket material, I don't use it for much anymore, it is inferior to a physical gasket in almost every application.
The last time I used it was for the intake ends on a GM 3400. If a gasket is available I use it with a little High Tack Demarpaint mentioned.


ASE L1, Master. Deutsch Meisterbrief.
Re: Transmission Pan Gasket? [Re: mctmatt] #5116129
05/26/19 08:59 AM
05/26/19 08:59 AM
Joined: Jan 2012
Posts: 341
Canada
nobb Offline
nobb  Offline

Joined: Jan 2012
Posts: 341
Canada
RTV is only for stuff you never want to take off ever again. For something like a transmission pan where you want to service regularly, then you'll want to go with a gasket.

Re: Transmission Pan Gasket? [Re: Trav] #5116138
05/26/19 09:12 AM
05/26/19 09:12 AM
Joined: Jul 2015
Posts: 287
TX-Texas
mctmatt Offline OP
mctmatt  Offline OP

Joined: Jul 2015
Posts: 287
TX-Texas
Trav just to let you know I did reuse the OEM gasket that was on the pan as it was still in good shape and much easier to work with when laying under the car trying to line up and bolt in the pan, RTV I would think make that difficult keeping the pan aligned without messing up what you applied.

Last edited by mctmatt; 05/26/19 09:13 AM.
Re: Transmission Pan Gasket? [Re: Trav] #5116139
05/26/19 09:12 AM
05/26/19 09:12 AM
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 32,467
NY
demarpaint Offline
demarpaint  Offline

Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 32,467
NY
Originally Posted by Trav
If this is the 4T65E the best gasket is the reusable one you took off, you can reuse that one a few times. The floppy rubber ones with the filter kits are not very good, the OE is rubber coated steel. RTV is my least favorite gasket material, I don't use it for much anymore, it is inferior to a physical gasket in almost every application.
The last time I used it was for the intake ends on a GM 3400. If a gasket is available I use it with a little High Tack Demarpaint mentioned.

thumbsup


God Bless Our Troops

Re: Transmission Pan Gasket? [Re: mctmatt] #5116144
05/26/19 09:19 AM
05/26/19 09:19 AM
Joined: May 2019
Posts: 717
WA
Mad_Hatter Offline
Mad_Hatter  Offline

Joined: May 2019
Posts: 717
WA
Originally Posted by mctmatt
Trav just to let you know I did reuse the OEM gasket that was on the pan as it was still in good shape and much easier to work with when laying under the car trying to line up and bolt in the pan, RTV I would think make that difficult keeping the pan aligned without messing up what you applied.


Take one of the bolts to your local hardware store and find a bolt or threaded rod with the same pitch and diameter. The idea is to make 2 or 3 lugs to put in the pan holes. You may need a hacksaw and file to deburr. Once you put the lugs in, put the pan back on and go around in a star pattern hand tightening bolts, once you get to one of the lugs you put in, take it out w/pliars and replace it with the bolt.

This is how I put my oil pan on using gasket maker, laying on my back under the car. Easy peasy, lemon squeezy

Last edited by Mad_Hatter; 05/26/19 09:34 AM.
Re: Transmission Pan Gasket? [Re: mctmatt] #5116145
05/26/19 09:19 AM
05/26/19 09:19 AM
Joined: Jun 2003
Posts: 19,175
Apple Valley, California
Chris142 Offline
Chris142  Offline

Joined: Jun 2003
Posts: 19,175
Apple Valley, California
I like the gaskets that are some sort of compressed cardboard. Never had one leak in 30+ years of using them. Make sure to beat the pan straight if needed.


02 Wrangler traveler sae30
87 F250 Valvoline 15w40
07 fjcruiser Chevron 10w30
Z400 castrol T 10w40
Can am maveric edge 5w40
57 case tractor Chevron sae30
Re: Transmission Pan Gasket? [Re: atikovi] #5116151
05/26/19 09:26 AM
05/26/19 09:26 AM
Joined: Jan 2011
Posts: 3,177
N.Ohio
Lubener Offline
Lubener  Offline

Joined: Jan 2011
Posts: 3,177
N.Ohio
Originally Posted by atikovi
RTV. Superior to any gasket you can use.

Never use RTV for a transmission pan gasket. Once the excess is squeezed out, it will wind up caught in the filter. Any impurity on the surfaces and that RTV won't stick. Good luck if you ever had to tweek the pan bolts, it won't work. Best bet is get an OEM gasket, it likely will be reusable.

Last edited by Lubener; 05/26/19 09:31 AM.

The "thinking" man's friend.
Re: Transmission Pan Gasket? [Re: Lubener] #5116164
05/26/19 09:42 AM
05/26/19 09:42 AM
Joined: May 2019
Posts: 717
WA
Mad_Hatter Offline
Mad_Hatter  Offline

Joined: May 2019
Posts: 717
WA
Originally Posted by Lubener
[quote=atikovi]RTV. Superior to any gasket you can use.

Never use RTV for a transmission pan gasket. Once the excess is squeezed out, it will wind up caught in the filter. Any impurity on the surfaces and that RTV won't stick./quote]

Not if you a) don't over apply and b) let it cure for 24hrs before adding fluid and c) use a wire brush and brake cleaner. It's not like Niagra falls in your transmission or as if you have little gnomes in there hammering away. Once that stuff sets, it ain't going anywhere. And Permatex actually makes an anaerobic gasket maker that comes off relatively easy, where nothing more than a steady hand and a putty knife gets it open. It's specifically designed for use on oil/transaxle pans where servicing is required.

The nice advantage of a set in place gasket maker is it will fill in any undulations or surface imperfections in the pan, something preformed can't do.

Last edited by Mad_Hatter; 05/26/19 09:46 AM.
Re: Transmission Pan Gasket? [Re: mctmatt] #5116197
05/26/19 10:13 AM
05/26/19 10:13 AM
Joined: Jun 2002
Posts: 6,882
MI
doitmyself Offline
doitmyself  Offline

Joined: Jun 2002
Posts: 6,882
MI
Nobody mentioned Felpro gaskets. Besides a quality OEM one, Felpro tranny gaskets tend to be very stout. They are made of a very dense composite rubber material and come packaged flat in a box. I prefer a gasket in most situations of repair work.

Re: Transmission Pan Gasket? [Re: Mad_Hatter] #5116218
05/26/19 10:38 AM
05/26/19 10:38 AM
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 22,007
MA, Mittelfranken.de
Trav Offline
Trav  Offline

Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 22,007
MA, Mittelfranken.de
Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter
Originally Posted by Lubener
[quote=atikovi]RTV. Superior to any gasket you can use.

Never use RTV for a transmission pan gasket. Once the excess is squeezed out, it will wind up caught in the filter. Any impurity on the surfaces and that RTV won't stick./quote]

Not if you a) don't over apply and b) let it cure for 24hrs before adding fluid and c) use a wire brush and brake cleaner. It's not like Niagra falls in your transmission or as if you have little gnomes in there hammering away. Once that stuff sets, it ain't going anywhere. And Permatex actually makes an anaerobic gasket maker that comes off relatively easy, where nothing more than a steady hand and a putty knife gets it open. It's specifically designed for use on oil/transaxle pans where servicing is required.

The nice advantage of a set in place gasket maker is it will fill in any undulations or surface imperfections in the pan, something preformed can't do.


Who has 24hrs to leave it? That would really jam up the works if you work on multiple cars a day.


ASE L1, Master. Deutsch Meisterbrief.
Re: Transmission Pan Gasket? [Re: Trav] #5116225
05/26/19 10:46 AM
05/26/19 10:46 AM
Joined: Jan 2018
Posts: 408
The low country, SC
RyanY Offline
RyanY  Offline

Joined: Jan 2018
Posts: 408
The low country, SC
Originally Posted by Trav
Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter
Originally Posted by Lubener
[quote=atikovi]RTV. Superior to any gasket you can use.

Never use RTV for a transmission pan gasket. Once the excess is squeezed out, it will wind up caught in the filter. Any impurity on the surfaces and that RTV won't stick./quote]

Not if you a) don't over apply and b) let it cure for 24hrs before adding fluid and c) use a wire brush and brake cleaner. It's not like Niagra falls in your transmission or as if you have little gnomes in there hammering away. Once that stuff sets, it ain't going anywhere. And Permatex actually makes an anaerobic gasket maker that comes off relatively easy, where nothing more than a steady hand and a putty knife gets it open. It's specifically designed for use on oil/transaxle pans where servicing is required.

The nice advantage of a set in place gasket maker is it will fill in any undulations or surface imperfections in the pan, something preformed can't do.


Who has 24hrs to leave it? That would really jam up the works if you work on multiple cars a day.


^this.
I always use OEM gasket if available, or Felpro if the OEM price is too high. Both are top notch. Other brands may be fine but rarely much lower price than felpro. I would consider RTV only as a last resort, for the reasons mentioned above.


2007 Cadillac CTS 3.6L >123k miles (Valvoline synthetic HM + ACDelco PF2129G; Maxlife ATF)

2012 Honda Odyssey EX-L >99k miles (Pennzoil Platinum 5W-20 + STP XL; Pennzoil Platinum LV ATF)
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

BOB IS THE OIL GUY® Powered by UBB.threads™