Transmission Pan Gasket?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by 4WD
If RTV got applied by the OEM … I'll never assume they made that choice because it's better..

Because knowingly using an inferior gasket method sooo helps minimize warranty claims (comebacks) and class action lawsuits? Got it...

I don't get it, my two Toyota cars have FPG on both the #1 and #2 pans and neither one has leaked even after 20 years and nearly 700,000 combined miles. From what I've seen it is superior to a gasket, my BMW with a metal/elastomer gasket has started to leak more than once in the 10 years I've had it.

Great … but I've never had a pan leak using gaskets …

Wrench monkeys are the biggest problem …

Interesting debate. I'll still stick with gaskets and High Tack. If a gasket is not available and I can't make one, I might give RTV a shot. In 40+ years I might have used RTV once.

Originally Posted by kschachn
I don't get it, my two Toyota cars have FPG on both the #1 and #2 pans and neither one has leaked even after 20 years and nearly 700,000 combined miles. From what I've seen it is superior to a gasket, my BMW with a metal/elastomer gasket has started to leak more than once in the 10 years I've had it.

That is because BMW has always used Nitrile instead of FMK and similar quality gaskets and seals, no reason for vanos seal failures either but they do because of the rubber used, it thermal ages. We see many almost 20 year old GM pan gaskets that are perfectly fine and have never leaked.

If it's good enough for a 8k hp top fuel dragster or a 800hp stock car or my local transmission shop, it's good enough for me. If using a preformed over a FIPG makes you feel better, use a preform and more power to ya. I just don't subscribe to the notion that preforms are somehow universally superior v. RTV or even superior for this particular application and that they should be avoided at any cost. There are certainly situations where a preformed gasket makes more sense but you can make an equally compelling argument where using a FIPG RTV would hold an advantage over a preform.

At the end of the day everyone's got an opinion on it and I certainly have mine. So to each his own I say..

Originally Posted by demarpaint
Interesting debate. I'll still stick with gaskets and High Tack. If a gasket is not available and I can't make one, I might give RTV a shot. In 40+ years I might have used RTV once.

... and one (debate) that I'm sure that will go on long after I've left this world. ...‚

Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter
Originally Posted by demarpaint

... and one (debate) that I'm sure that will go on long after I've left this world. ...‚

You and me both.

I use Permatex non hardening sealant on the removable part , to " glue " the gasket on . After it has set , I then bolt everything together .

That way , if I have to remove it at a latter date , it is easier to clean off , on the removable part ( a pan ) . Or , in the case of a part that will be thrown away , no clean up needed ( water pump ) .

Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter

If it's good enough for a 8k hp top fuel dragster or a 800hp stock car or my local transmission shop, it's good enough for me. If using a preformed over a FIPG makes you feel better, use a preform and more power to ya. I just don't subscribe to the notion that preforms are somehow universally superior v. RTV or even superior for this particular application and that they should be avoided at any cost. There are certainly situations where a preformed gasket makes more sense but you can make an equally compelling argument where using a FIPG RTV would hold an advantage over a preform.

At the end of the day everyone's got an opinion on it and I certainly have mine. So to each his own I say..

Where do they use RTV on a top fuel car with no cooling system? If anything manufacturers are moving away from RTV in favor of cored gaskets and silicone compound gaskets (not RTV) that fit into channels like many plenum and valve cover gaskets do.

Top fuel gaskets

https://www.circletracksupply.com/g...or-gm-602-circle-track-crate-engine.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back