Ready for the Indy 500?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by bdcardinal
Originally Posted by oil_film_movies
Are the engines both about the same torque and horsepower this year? Any advantage?
What's the story on the aero kits these days? Differences?

The aero kit is spec from IndyCar.

I am pulling for Charlie Kimball.

Will Kimball have the will power to beat Will Power?

Can teams pick their rubber compounds and downforce levels? How about alignment (toe, camber)?
I guess I need a tutorial on what freedom the teams have in all this homolgated sport. Any good info out there on the web to teach rules & freedoms?

To me, it makes it 100 times more interesting to understand what they technically are doing on the track to win. Sure driver boldness, fuel strategy, etc., all easy to see while you watch, but what other behind the scenes decisions can we understand here?

I've written a lot of flight simulation software using actual physics based F=MA differential equations for realism (including some non-linear stuff, etc.), and the next step in IndyCar, I'm convinced, will be a "virtual racing team & driver" that weaves it's way through the pack unseen, driven by customers in simulators elsewhere. Puts you in the race, with real racers depicted on the screen too.

Sure am.

I go to the races at PIR. I'm just glad open wheel is back at Portland International... and it's right in my backyard, so no traveling necessary. Will make for a fun Labor Day weekend for my son and I.

Last edited:
Happy to see the McLaren/Alonso team was sent back to Europe in humiliating fashion by the young American Kyle Kaiser in the Chevy powered Dallara.
34.gif

Can teams pick their rubber compounds and downforce levels? How about alignment (toe, camber)?
I guess I need a tutorial on what freedom the teams have in all this homolgated sport. Any good info out there on the web to teach rules & freedoms?

To me, it makes it 100 times more interesting to understand what they technically are doing on the track to win. Sure driver boldness, fuel strategy, etc., all easy to see while you watch, but what other behind the scenes decisions can we understand here?

I've written a lot of flight simulation software using actual physics based F=MA differential equations for realism (including some non-linear stuff, etc.), and the next step in IndyCar, I'm convinced, will be a "virtual racing team & driver" that weaves it's way through the pack unseen, driven by customers in simulators elsewhere. Puts you in the race, with real racers depicted on the screen too.

https://www.indycar.com/Fan-Info/INDYCAR-101

Rubber is spec from Firestone. There are additional devices you can add to the front and rear wings this year to adjust downforce. Alignment adjustment is pretty free, but from running at IMS so long, teams will default to known settings. Dampers are free so Penske has a huge advantage there. Gearboxes are all from X-Trac, https://www.xtrac.com/product/p1011-indycar-series-gearbox/.

Would like to see Helio Castronevos's Pennzoil 0w40 viscosity and a UOA done after the 1.3 million engine revolutions needed to run the Indy500, at 10,000 rpm average and about 230 mph.
Permanent shear must be horrendous in that stressed situation. A 0w40 actually uses pretty thin base oils to start with, and high VM to get the "40" part, thinner base oils than a 0w20 and 0w30 get.
Reference page 20 of: https://www.exxonmobilchemical.com/~/media/chemicals/kl-media-assets/2017/11/02/15/00/synthetic_lubricant_base_stocks_formulations_guide_en_2017pdf.pdf

Rubber is spec from Firestone.
I did read a little about that the other day. Mario Andretti outlined tire development over the last 80 years, and they do have assymetry in front-rear, side to side too. https://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/car-technology/a27542916/history-racing-tire/ I need to learn more about what choices they have during race-time at pit stops (soft vs. hard vs. rain tires, etc. (?) ..... One things for sure, the weather forecast is WET during the race on Sunday morning there. Could make for a crazy race. Low winds though.
Dampers are free so Penske has a huge advantage there.
... https://drivetribe.com/p/indycar-to-keep-damper-development-Xi0rVw7wSc6GpKz9M47Shg is an interesting story on that. Penske would probably never divulge the non-linearities they run. Those are shock absorber wheel dampers, a different one from the steering damper, which apparently can limit driver wrist forces to avoid injuries. A lot to learn about these homolgated monster machines.

So during an oval race, you can set tire pressures, but the compound is the same for everyone. On road and street courses you have the "prime" black wall tire and the "option" red sidewall tire which usually is a second or so a lap faster, but fall off faster and don't last as long as the prime. They also have rain tires for road and street courses but not for ovals. The only series I know of that has run on an oval in any sort of rain is the NASCAR Whelen Euro Series.

bdcardinal, excellent info! Thanks.
List of variables teams can play with:

1. Tire pressures
2. Alignment tweaks
3. Shock absorbers (dampers) either custom or bought from Ohlin (Sweden), and Are they adjustable before the race or in the pits?
4. Aero kit mods for downforce adjustment
5. Oil: Can't leave that one out. Too thin and durability is a problem. Too thick and top speed (power) suffers.
6. Non-adjustable, but you're stuck with either Honda or Ilmor-Chevy engines have different torque curves maybe? No repeat of the Ilmor-Mercedes 1994 situation anyway.

Interesting book on what can happen when a torque-monster slips in through rule loopholes:

[Linked Image]

Are the engines both about the same torque and horsepower this year? Any advantage?
What's the story on the aero kits these days? Differences?

The aero kit is spec from IndyCar.

I am pulling for Charlie Kimball.

Any good info out there on the web to teach rules & freedoms?

General Info and most of the Indy Car Rule Book (in the menu on the left hand side) is here:

https://www.indycar.com/Fan-Info/INDYCAR-101

Originally Posted by Bud
Ready for the last 10 minutes.

And the start of the Coca Cola 600
19.gif

Interesting book on what can happen when a torque-monster slips in through rule loopholes:

[Linked Image]

I have that book sitting on my nightstand. It is next on the list to read. I also highly suggest Rapid Response. I have a signed first edition and just got the second edition in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back