Questions About 80W-90 Gear Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, I have some gear lube questions. I was trying to find the answers in my owners manual and from the Ford website. I have a 2011 Ford Ranger. 4.0v6, 5R55E automatic, 3.55:1 open 8.8 rear, 2WD. The manual says to use 80W-90 in the differential and it says how much to use. What I do not see is how often Ford says I should change it. What is the OEM drain interval for my rear differential? Thank you for the help.

Every vehicle I have owned that had that viscosity spec got 75w90 … way more choices in that.
There was nothing listed on my GM trucks either. Personally, I like 50k on diffs …

I don't know your OEM drain interval. Â You could check the Amsoil website for information. They recommend 100k (normal service) and 50K (severe service) on their gear oils for your truck and the have the Severe Service in 80w-90.

Your owners manual says every 150,000 miles. Some manufacturers do not list a change interval. I use 50,000 miles which was listed on my 2008 Chev Suburban manual. It presently has almost 200,000 miles on it without problems. Knock wood.
laugh.gif

http://www.fordservicecontent.com/Ford_Content/catalog/owner_guides/11ranog2e.pdf

Last edited:
Your "typical Ford Ranger" generally gets driven 200,000 miles+ between differential oil changes

(read: never)

Ford put 80w-90 in their diffs until about 2005. When my new 2005 Ranger diff was rebuilt by Ford 6 months after I bought it they put in 75w-140 synthetic. Since that time, and there was a TSB that I cannot find, they put 75w-140 syn in all their rear diffs. My manual says the diff is lifetime fill but I use Super Tech syn 75w-140 and change it at 60k. With the syn I could probably go 100k. With heavy towing or off road I would change at 30k.

I use 75W90 in my Ranger every 50,000kms but the fluid is not that bad so I think I'm going to extend it to 80,000 kms next time.

By the way I also recommend buying a few spare gaskets for the rear instead of using the factory recommended RTV. Cleaning off RTV is the worst part about changing the fluid on these trucks and using a gasket that peels off makes the job so much easier.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back