Can I Manually Pump Transmission Fluid From Transmission?

Status
Not open for further replies.
98 Expedition 5.4 4x4 4R100 tranny.
I want to do a transmission fluid change on my Expedition. I would like to change as much of the system fluid as possible without flushing and without using high pressure. I had a big mess yesterday with transmission fluid leaking out from a hose clamped on to transmission cooling lines bypassing the radiator transmission cooling tank and would like to have a more controlled method other than starting the truck and pumping it out with high pressure.

Any advice how to change more than the pan fluid?
Anyone know which is the high pressure line the upper or lower cooling line?
Anyone know how much just the pan holds?

Anyone know which is the high pressure line the upper or lower cooling line? Generically speaking: It is a closed loop. Either one should have the same pressure, which is about 20 psi.
grin2.gif

Last edited:
The easiest way is to use a fluid extractor. Best time is after the fluid has drained into the pan overnight. Transmission fluid is thinner than motor oil and it sucks out pretty fast.

Originally Posted by redbone3
The easiest way is to use a fluid extractor. Best time is after the fluid has drained into the pan overnight. Transmission fluid is thinner than motor oil and it sucks out pretty fast.

This ^^^
The transmission pan in the transit is a mess to take down because of no drain hole. I changed by pan drop once to change the filter and the last 2 times it was just 4 quarts out and add 4 new quarts. 2 easy.

Yes, done this with an f150, should be the same on your expedition. Requires two people. Remove a tranny cooler line and place in bucket (drain). Have your new ATF ready with tops off and a funnel to pour new through the dipstick fill tube ready. Start vehicle, place in D, add fluid, when your buddy notices fresh ATF coming out the cooler line stop the process. Connect the cooler line and warm the transmission. Add more fluid until your within the cross hatch. If you have overfilled the transmission you can drain some with the cooler line or pump some out with a manual device (5 bucks at harbor freight). This process is a full FLUSH.

If you want to do a simple dump and fill of the pan just use the manual pump from the dipstick tube and refill. I have done both and never made a mess.

In my opinion, drop the pan, clean the magnet off, change the filter, let it drip for a while. Don't get obsessed with trying to change all the fluid at once.

That pan holds alot, 8 quarts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back