Tip On Examining Oil Filter Media

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hang the cut media up and let it drain for a couple of days. Any debris on the media really stands out when oil is not present.

It takes a surprisingly long time for the oil to drain out. The media has to be hung up for at least a couple of days.

100_1256.jpg

Last edited:
Drips. You can see the paper I have on the floor to catch the drips and I changed them out a couple of times to prevent oil running on to the floor.

The media retains a surprising amount of oil.

Last edited:
You can get most of the oil out before pulling apart the filter media pack by wrapping absorbent material (paper towel, for example) closely around the media pack. To be thorough, repeat until fresh absorbing material no longer gets oily. Tedious and time-consuming, yes, but makes it far easier to see captured particles or check restriction with air, and makes the media less messy to handle. I've done a couple this way---actually all the filters I've removed from my present car so far.

I cut the filter open and wrap it in a shop rag or two over night. Most of the oil wicks out. Hanging it like that looks like a mess.
Originally Posted by WobblyElvis
Do you think the oil drains/drips from the media or evaporates? Both?

If your oil is evaporating, you've got issues!

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
^^^ Yep ... paper towel wick trick works best.
More paper (or rag or whatever) stuffed inside hastens the process a bit on a cartridge with no center tube.

Instead of sacrificing rubber bands as in that photo, I clip the ends of the folded towel together and suspend it from the clip with the filter center-line horizontal, so the weight of the filter maintains gentle tension on the paper against the media.

Do this thoroughly, and you can handle the media for further analysis without getting oily fingers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back