Replacement Struts: Struts or Quick-Struts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need to replace a front right strut on my 2014 Sienna, what is a good reliable brand to go with?

Rockauto has the following struts KYB GR-2 / Excel-G, MONROE OESpectrum, SACHS or should I go with a Monroe Quick-Strut or a KYB Strut-Plus Quick-Strut?

Last edited:
Did you check the rebate status? Usually Monroe typically has some type of rebate going on once or twice a year. Keep the receipt handy as they all have lifetime warranties. While they may last 100k, with the warranty I usually swap them out around 60k and you still notice a difference in the ride. So many Monroe gets sold that it's somewhat of a hit or miss, same deal with KYB.

Originally Posted by diyjake
I need to replace a front right strut on my 2014 Sienna, what is a good reliable brand to go with?
Rockauto has the following struts KYG GR-2 / Excel-G, MONROE OESpectrum, SACHS or should I go with a Monroe Quick-Strut or a KYG Strut-Plus Quick-Strut?

Go with:

1) Sachs
2) KYB (not kyg)
3) Monroe....... forget it, they used to be good decades ago.

You only need one strut? If you're not inclined to go OEM, I've found that Monroe Quickstruts are 90K mile items on my Camry. At 280K miles, it's on its third set (free + installation/allignment, thanks to the lifetime warranty). They're < $100 each at RockAuto

I'd avoid Monroe. Too many warranty returns at work. I'd go with KYB or OEM. Change both at the same time... I know you only said you wanted to change one but it's worth it just to change both.

I've never done a quickstrut, but I did do Monroe struts once because of rebates. Hated them. As soft or softer as the blown OEM struts they replaced. Have used lots of KYBs (GR-2 and Monomax) on many different vehicles and always had good results.

Originally Posted by khittner
You only need one strut? If you're not inclined to go OEM, I've found that Monroe Quickstruts are 90K mile items on my Camry. At 280K miles, it's on its third set (free + installation/allignment, thanks to the lifetime warranty). They're < $100 each at RockAuto

Quickstruts are tempting but I am unsure about the quality. Also hear some people say the make the vehicle sit higher and slightly stiffer ride?

Originally Posted by khittner

Quickstruts are tempting but I am unsure about the quality. Also hear some people say the make the vehicle sit higher and slightly stiffer ride?

They're usually higher initially, then settle down after a week or two. It's always stiffer with new struts.

You will get lots of stories about Monroe, but they sell the most so take it with a grain of salt. There's lots of returns because they sell the most. You don't hear it with those other brands because they don't sell as many as Monroe.

On a car that new, I'd stick with OEM.

Quick-struts should be reserved for old beaters, IMO.

I might go the OEM route.

Is Sachs considered the better brand in the aftermarket world for start OEM replacement?

The Monroe are tempting because right now Rock Auto has both the L&R on closeout for $40 each. I mean whatever you pick I would definitely replace both on the same *axle* at this point, but I too feel that Monroe have too little dampening, great for highway cruising but that's about it.

The quickstruts in this case are a significant extra cost I would not pay unless you are sagging and if you get those, definitely get both L&R as they will be stiffer and sit higher till they settle in, and continue to be stiffer than a worn spring on the other side so it's a balance/control issue. That is unless you are afraid of using a spring compressor, Some People Are but IMO it's not a big deal if you pay attention to what you're doing.

KYB are decent, cost less than SACHS and have a lifetime warranty but not against wear, just defects (though what the retailer honors may vary).

SACHS are a little better quality, probably the factory strut, cost $10 more each and have only 24 mos. warranty, and a ride stiffness somewhere between Monroe and KYB, KYB being the firmer of the 3, but even the SACHS should be firmer new than old.

Are you sure you need a strut ? What symptoms ... ? And why only one side ? On a 4 year old car ...

Get the KYB quick struts. KYB makes the OEM struts for your Sienna, is the largest shock mfr, and the OE supplier to most Japanese cars

Quick struts are awesome because you get everything you need in one easy-to-install assembly
smile.gif

If you want to keep your factory ride height, don't go with quick struts. I've read lots of reviews all stating that quick struts permanently raise the car's ride height. From what I gather, quick struts are for people who have cars with sagging springs.

I used Monroe and Gabriel quick struts. Took me 3 tries to get a non-defective Monroe strut and the Gabriel struts squeak whenever the temperature drops below 40°F. Therefore, I'd avoid both those brands.

Originally Posted by das_peikko
If you want to keep your factory ride height, don't go with quick struts. I've read lots of reviews all stating that quick struts permanently raise the car's ride height. From what I gather, quick struts are for people who have cars with sagging springs.

Quick struts come with new springs.

Replacement struts are usually used with existing springs.

If you put new springs on with replacement struts, you'll most likely get a higher ride just like quick struts.

Originally Posted by HangFire
Quick struts come with new springs.

Replacement struts are usually used with existing springs.

If you put new springs on with replacement struts, you'll most likely get a higher ride just like quick struts.

Yes I know quick struts come with new springs; that's what raises your car up permanently. They are never calibrated for ride hight like factory springs are.

I was happy (and still am) with Monroe QS's on my Camry. But then again, it's a beater and I didn't really care. Something as new as yours, I'd be tempted to go OEM or nearly so. But I'd do them in pairs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back