People don't know how to merge onto the highway

Status
Not open for further replies.
Likely depends on the state. In Ohio, when merging onto interstate highways, as I recall it's all on the merging driver to adjust their speed to enter the highway smoothly and safely. On state routes with on-ramps, I've seen signs to the effect of "allow ramp traffic to merge". No one does that though.

It is amazing when I get out of the big cities, on regular trucker/semis routes, how courteous they are (98.5%).
Cars/other vehicles: all bets are off.

I usually merge expecting nobody in traffic would allow me to , but making sure both (me and person i'm driving close to) are getting home that day.
I actually end up disappointed, since somebody will let me/help me merge in traffic.

Grampi, 2 alternatives:
-yoga
-fishing

I hear both are peaceful.

Two things that [censored] me off:

Not using a signal when merging. I can't read your mind. Some people merge but stay in the shoulder to pull over for a variety of reasons not wanting to fully merge. If I don't see a signal,I don't let you in.

The timid type who just wont "get in". I give drivers a very small window of opportunity to merge in front of me. I'm not going to come to a complete stop and hold your hand. Either merge in or drop back.

If you're in the right lane and can move over to the middle/left lane to help with people merging, then you should do it. But moving over also entails speeding up a bit which people seem to forget.

If you're in the right lane and you can't move over for merging traffic, you have somewhat of an obligation (not necessarily a legal one, but a 'don't be that guy' one) to help them transition onto the highway. That doesn't mean slamming on your brakes or flooring the gas so they can merge, but you should try to make sure they don't pull up right next to you and match your speed. Just a little more gas or lifting briefly can make all the difference in making the zipper work like it should. It's not hard and far too many people almost go out of their way because 'me first' is all they know.

Believe me, I'm the world's most impatient driver but I'm willing to help things move more smoothly as long as the other guy isn't driving with his head up his arse.

Around here, the guy who merges at 45 mph, immediately changes 3 lanes to get in the left lane. It never fails to amuse me.

Originally Posted by grampi
Originally Posted by Lolvoguy
Originally Posted by grampi
when I see that someone is merging and I'm on the highway, I will move over into the left lane (as long as it's clear) to leave the right lane open for the merger. The merger will then merge right next to me and drive exactly the same speed I'm driving. Now I'm stuck in the left lane and can't move over, something that can't be done for very long without some mega speeder coming up from behind to ride my bumper, so then I either have to speed up or slow down so I can move back over into the right lane. I don't think driving schools are teaching people how to merge, that or these people are pushing memory erase as soon as they're done with driving school...

Why do you see this as being the "correct" way?
I understand your logic, but when you start tying up the fast lane by doing this, you end up causing more traffic delays for everyone.

IMHO, the best way to allow for mergers is to either speed up, or slow down to give them a spot to take.
That way you are not causing any disruptions of the fast lane.
The fast lane stays "fast" and the slow lane remains "slow".

I practiced this over the long weekend. When I was in the slow lane and the person in the merging lane was expecting me to pass, I simply flashed my high beams to indicate the "coast was clear" for them to change lanes.
They then went ahead of me and flashed their hazard lights as a "thank you" gesture.

That's my logic at least.

Instead of being courteous by moving over a lane, I could just stay in the right lane and make the merger avoid me...

You are being courteous by adjusting your speed to create a gap for that merging car. If I am in the right lane I can back off just a couple of mph and that gives the merging car the gap they need. You have to plan this well ahead to work. If you are thru traffic then you should be in another lane anyway.

The only way to truly be a "defensive" driver is to never trust other drivers. For anything. That means you controlling the space around your car like you are guarding the winning lotto ticket- if you want space around you, YOU must create it. Whether or not you have the right of way.

This means on-ramps are essentially drag strips, that way you are moving as fast or faster than any traffic you see in the right-hand lane. It's essentially what is taught in motorcycle classes- you make and maintain your safety bubble, or else you end up a smear on the highway. You may have to slow down or speed up and change lanes to avoid some nincompoop, but at least you remain in one piece and breathing. Riding a crotch rocket in Florida while I was in the Navy made me acutely more aware and protective of my space than just driving a car ever would have.... with all of the "visually impaired" residents there, you DO NOT get a second chance, or the ability to wave a single finger if you're not actively assessing "What's the dumbest thing each and every driver on the road around me can do right now?" And play that chess game out in your head on a very rapid basis.

It's actually amazing how stress-free driving can become when you're actively driving this way... you never get surprised, and since you're evaluating everyone as an idiot about to hit you, when they don't it's actually a pleasant occurrence. However, it is mentally taxing... but I'd rather be exercising my mind to proactively avoid impacts rather than hung up in a hospital in traction awaiting PT because of one person not paying attention, and my mindset of "Well I was here first and I have the right of way..."

I think it's the long banking turns on ramps that screw people up.

Most people I see on the roads making turns seem to slow down much more than is necessary, take the turn at a very slow speed and only really accelerate once their wheels are straight. I think a lot of people are not very confident the amount of grip their car has and drive like it's raining all the time. They won't accelerate out of a turn, which is why they are so slow on ramps.

The nearest ramp to the 401 near me is like that. The ramp is probably 800m long but curved, banked and downhill. People will be doing 40 or 50 km/h on the ramp with a line of cars behind them that now all have to merge at the same time at less than half the speed of the cars on the highway.

You should be at 80% of highway speed probably 60% of the way up the ramp. If you are going faster than the cars you are merging into you have such a huge advantage but most people will only floor it for a yellow light.

We continue to make cars safer, and roads safer, but we fail to admit the biggest issue is driver training, and the resulting low driver skill. Getting a drivers license where I live is ridiculously easy, because driving is a privilege and we don't want to offend too many people by making it too hard. And if you know someone, $ get you a license, easy.

There was talk of raising the driving age from 16 up to 18, but the public outrage stopped that. Funny how you can't legally drink, smoke or vote until you are 18, but getting a drivers license, no problem .

Last edited:
When I'm driving semi on the I and encounter a single merger I don't change lanes, either speed up or slow down (We're usually governed @65)...amazing how many don't and wind up in the gravel. Talking to my fav bartender the other day she actually thought I would be obligated to move over, really.

Originally Posted by spk2000
Even worse I have a cloverleaf that cars are trying to merge into my lane and I am trying to merge into their lane. It backs up and people just block the one trying to get onto that highway and act like you are in the wrong for trying to get were they are. Have been told this is one of the highest accident areas in the country and they have been talking about redoing it for years. It's Louisville, KY Gene Snyder Hwy to I-71 if anyone knows of it.

There used to be cloverleaf on and off ramps at I-75 and I-70 near here but they've gotten rid of them. Those were a special situation - it was explained to me that people getting ON the highway had the right-of-way as they had to get up to speed in a pretty short distance; people getting OFF the highway had to give precedence to those getting on.

Cloverleafs are an outdated design that has proved to be obstructive for traffic and dangerous as well. Most new construction is getting away from the cloverleaf.

That doesn't mean newer designs are better. These new diverging diamond interchanges are confusing as all get out the first few times you go through one.

Originally Posted by Vikas
Around here, the guy who merges at 45 mph, immediately changes 3 lanes to get in the left lane. It never fails to amuse me.

Yes that is a thing. Often on the crowded 3 lane highways by me in the Metro NYC area, the right lane is where you can really make some time. Three quarters of the drivers keep moving to the middle and the left on the theory that those are the faster lanes. I let em and make time in the right. Same thing on the HOV lanes, folks seem to think its OK to get there and cruise no faster than the non-HOV left lane traffic.

Then there are the incompetent mergers who are on the entrance ramp already ahead of traffic in the right lane (me for example) going the same speed or faster, as if to merge in front of me. That would be perfectly ok, but instead they inexplicably slow down and nearly merge on top of me, forcing me to brake or get into the left lane in front of the speeding truck.

Also, the ones that get into the right lane at a steady 40 mph, not accelerating at all, until you start to pass them. THEN they suddenly speed up.

You're not "stuck" in the left lane. Speed for ten seconds and move over. Problem solved.

First, driving is a cooperative endeavor, not a competition.
If you can move over to allow merging traffic to enter a limited access highway, you should.
I always do. It isn't so much a matter of who has to do what and who has the right of way as it is one of accommodating a smooth flow of traffic. Putting your right foot on the pedal and going a little faster than you set the cruise in a faster lane hardly seems a great hardship.
Second, merging drivers need to evaluate traffic conditions to determine how fast they need to be going by the time they hit the merge point.
You can usually get a good look at traffic coming up on the road and figure out whether a leisurely merge will work or that you need to gather considerable speed.
Everyone just needs to use a little common sense as well as a little courtesy and merging traffic is no problem at all.
Neither is a sign of weakness, as some would regard it to be, since all of us share the goal of reaching our destination safely and with a minimum of aggravation.

Just like some drivers don't know how to merge, others don't know how to let others merge. Try merging with a low-powered subcompact onto a short on-ramp into a freeway lane full of tailgating speeders. When it's safe to do so, I move one lane over and make room for cars that want to merge. If I can't do that, I will slow down enough to let one merge. Timid drivers can be a problem just as much as aggressive ones.

Not sure what driver ed is teaching, but pretty sure merging laws have not changed on ramps have a yield sign and that means "yield" It really should not be that difficult. I often notice many drivers texting yapping on their cell phones. I see this several times per day. Freeway traffic has right of way and the yield sign on the on ramps is for the ramp traffic. I will move over when I can as a courtesy if it is safe to do so, but there are times when traffic does not allow that and the ramp traffic is supposed to yield .When they fail to do so that can often cause an accident. Sadly it seems that there are more and more drivers who think that turning on their blinkers creates instant space for them. Call it selfishness, stupidity or just being unaware or just thinking that rules do not apply to them,but whatever the case, they makes driving far more dangerous than it needs to be. Another thing I see every day is when there is a lane reduction on the freeway with big flashing sign 2-3 miles before and yet there is always some jerk that zooms around at the last 100 ft wanting in had 3 miles to get over, but nope cant do that, rather be a jerk, I guess. They are known as side zoomers around here, Very, very annoying and dangerous. There are in many areas of the country very short onramps and ramps where there is a lot of trees and vegetation which reduces visibility for mergers and straight ahead freeway traffic. I like the nice long on ramps like they have in North and south Dakota where there is little traffic and the ramps are nice and long so there is more reaction time for mergers.

Happened to me this morning, at 0500. I got over to make room for the person entering the highway at << 50MPH in a 55MPH zone. After passing this person, I put my turn signal on and noticed that they THEN sped up to parallel me. I sped up a little and realized I was at 65MPH before I was then surpassing them. [censored]!

Originally Posted by eljefino
You're not "stuck" in the left lane. Speed for ten seconds and move over. Problem solved.

Sure, but that would be too sensible and leave the OP with nothing to rant about.
I've often wondered why the OP reminded me of someone and I finally figured it out.
Remember a certain character on "Seinfeld" played by Jason Alexander?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back