2014 Hyundai Equus Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5w/30 4,445 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
2014 Hyundai Equus Ultimate 5.0L with Pennzoil Ultra Synthetic 5W/30
Car was owned by Hyundai Motors and used for promo events for its first 2.5 years and only 2,500 miles, currently has 17k miles on odo.
Most recent oil change interval was 4,445 miles and 14 months.

Any comments about the anomolies?

[Linked Image]

Last edited:
Everything is elevated, but if this is only like the 2nd or 3rd OCI on the engine, that is perfectly normal. Run another couple intervals and re-test.

We need clarification from the op regarding that 7 quarts of make up oil. If true, then there are some serious issues going on.

I agree with checking the intake and filter system. Is everything still stock?

I cant imagine anybody here thinks the car had 7 qts makeup oil. Its an OBVIOUS error - .likely relating to sump capacity.

I say time to get a PAO syn in there.

The Si will be high because of the type of sealants used. It will remain high for quite some time but will trend down in future reports. My Santa Fe was the same way.

Looks fine for a fairly new engine breaking in still.

Last edited:
Very low mileage for the time frame. Dirt intrusion, corrosion, and loss of viscosity is all wreaking havoc on this engine.

In Tx, I'd be inclined to move to a 10W-30, and shorten intervals to 6 months.

PUP 5w30 doesn't have that much moly. ... That clue, and the elevated metals too, make me think the previous oil was the original factory fill for it's entire prior life, for it's first 12,000 miles in this case.
The moly and elevated wear metals are all left over from the previous fill. Remember an oil change doesn't get all the old oil out. We see this all the time, as in when the oil was previously a high-Titanium oil like Kendall, and we see about 10%-20% of the titanium still hanging around even when using an oil with no titanium additive.

And, yeah, the 7 quarts make-up oil simply means that is the sump capacity, a misunderstanding when filling out the form. If 7 qts were really added, the TBN would be around 8 or above!

This is a valuable car. I'd get a Fram Ultra oil filter on it ASAP to get out 80% 5 microns, and change the oil in 2,000 miles or 2 months for a flush. Then repeat the flush (leave the Fram Ultra oil filter in place) one more time to make sure the crud is out.
This engine deserves PUP 5w30 or Castrol gold jug or M1 EP or M1 AP.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back