Can M1 EP really do 15K miles?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Usage regime is the determining factor.

Lots of highway miles in a short time? No doubt.

Desert heat, slow speeds, stop and go, short trips with TGDI or DI? I'd want to see an UOA.

Originally Posted by spasm3
I've been expecting mobil to pull back the 15k thing as more and more engines are DI. I'm only going to do a 4500 mile oci on my mazda, until i get a summer uoa. Winter one was chock full of fuel.

Originally Posted by BobsArmory
Some engines could breeze thru 15,000 miles others would have issues.

^^^These. Port injected and normally aspirated? 15k no problem IMO. Get into DI or turbo and you'll need a UOA to extend your interval.

"Poor man's Amsoil"
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted by CT8
Originally Posted by Speak2Mountain
Would not do it on a DI engine, and esp. not on TDI. NO WAY. Maybe 8k w/premium filter
I enjoy my TDI engine immensely.

But not enough to add it to your sig line I see
crackmeup2.gif

Originally Posted by jayjr1105
Seems like the poor mans Amsoil for $25 and can do 15K miles. Am I missing something here? Match this with a top tier filter for $11 and you have an OCI that goes double your normal interval for $36 total.

Is the 15K miles a stretch on what is probably a group 3 syn?

The 0w-20 variant is majority PAO. I wouldn't call it a "poor man's AMSOIL", Mobil is entirely vertically integrated and doesn't need to source anything outside their empire. Ergo, they can use their own PAO for significantly less than what it costs AMSOIL to buy it from them. They can internally source their own AN's, POE....etc. Then, they can get a top tier cutting edge additive package from Infineum. Then, it goes on the shelf at all major retailers, because they are the biggest player in the synthetic oil market.

Now, can it go the distance? Like others have noted, it will depend on many factors that would have the same impact on AMSOIL in the same service. There are conditions that are not conducive to extended drains. There are some engines that provide conditions that are not suitable for it either. But, in an application that they work, it is similarly capable.

Well said Overkill.

It really depends on the engine type/brand and driving conditions.

I like that AP was tested with GDI engines. I don't know if those particular GDI engines are hard on oil, but they were at least GDI engines.

Mobil 1 is using a different approach to their long drain formulations than Amsoil. Amsoil has a higher SA which is why SS can not meet D1 G2. I'm not saying it matters, but Mobil 1 has lowered the SA level to .8 since around 2012. So the starting TBN is lower. The tradeoff here could potentially be better intake valve cleanliness with M1 vs Amsoil, but slightly better overall engine cleanliness with Amsoil over long drains. That's just pure speculation and my opinion based on the differences between these two long drain oils. I could be completley wrong about that.

https://mobiloil.com/en/article/why...l-1-annual-protection-oil-tested-results

https://mobiloil.com/en/article/why-the-mobil-advantage/mobil-1-performance/20k-road-trip

2015 Chevrolet Malibu LT, 2.0L TGDI
2015 Lexus NX 200t, 2.0 L Turbo
2016 Ford Fusion SE, 1.5 L EcoBoost

In the ExxonMobil Proprietary High-temperature Viscosity Control Test, notice how Mobil 1 Annual Protection oil outlasted the other synthetic oils tested before thickening limits were reached.

The short answer is no, not today.

The long answer is that while the oil will hold up fine, it's contaminated with ever increasing particulates and fuel byproducts. The regular oil change is the only way to remove said contaminates before the level becomes problematic.

I have always done the one a year change over since Mobil 1 hit the market. Never had a motor issue related to the oil. A broken exhaust valve; yes, a chipped valve from a broken spark plug; yes. But always had a clean motor with no visible sludge or varnish. I now use Mobil 1 0W-40 exclusively except for the "free" oil for my new BMW X1. They use some BMW oil every 6,000 miles.

Under the right conditions, maybe. Would I chance it? No way. But for those willing to give it a shot, I would collect an oil sample at the halfway point and send it off, and base my OCI on that. Or perhaps collect a sample at 10K miles if my driving conditions were really good, and base it on that.

Well … should I want to run 10k I'd grab it for $5 a jug more … but since my OLM has me 6k-7k … I'll just run AFE

Personally not willing to run 0w20 that long in a DI V8 engine … I'd wind up paying as much for an UOA as another jug of M1 would cost …

Originally Posted by CT8
Originally Posted by Speak2Mountain
Would not do it on a DI engine, and esp. not on TDI. NO WAY. Maybe 8k w/premium filter
I enjoy my TDI engine immensely.

What turbo diesel vehicles are we talking about here?

I can't understand why anyone would want to honestly. I've used Mobil 1 for normal service of 7500 miles but couldn't imagine going past manufacturing recommendations just to test a $25 jug of oil. I don't do analysis, to each their own, but I do and always have changed oil according to my owners manual. If the engine uses oil like my current car, than that's on the maker and not me for neglect.

Last edited:
I've got close to 18k miles on M1 10W-30 EP in my Soul, with one quart of top off oil, generic 5W-30. Oil isn't completely black and sludgy, but is very, very dark.

Not great, but doing fine.

Originally Posted by D1dad
I can't understand why anyone would want to honestly. I've used Mobil 1 for normal service of 7500 miles but couldn't imagine going past manufacturing recommendations just to test a $25 jug of oil. I don't do analysis, to each their own, but I do and always have changed oil according to my owners manual. If the engine uses oil like my current car, than that's on the maker and not me for neglect.

Unless the conditions are perfect and the vehicle is logging 8-10K miles a month I don't see the logic either. And if I were in the market for a used car and I checked service records and saw 10K or greater OCI's I'd pass on that vehicle.
27.gif
And most car enthusiasts that I know would too.

I remember 2015_PSD said the dealer gave him more for his 2010 F150 trade when he showed him the stack of UOA reports. I don't doubt the dealer sweetened the deal to make the sale, my guess is the reports showing OCIs of up to 17k miles were shredded immediately before anyone could see them. Joe Public doesn't understand or care about UOA reports, but is appalled when oil is changed so infrequently. I know I and many others (DNewton excluded) would move on to the next vehicle with more regular service records.

Originally Posted by demarpaint

Unless the conditions are perfect and the vehicle is logging 8-10K miles a month I don't see the logic either. And if I were in the market for a used car and I checked service records and saw 10K or greater OCI's I'd pass on that vehicle.
27.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Uregina09
I remember 2015_PSD said the dealer gave him more for his 2010 F150 trade when he showed him the stack of UOA reports. I dont doubt the dealer sweetened the deal to make the sale, but I'm sure the reports showing OCIs of up to 17k miles were shredded immediately. Joe Public doesn't understand or care about UOA reports, but is appalled when oil is changed so infrequently. I know I and many others (not DNewton) would move on to the next vehicle with more regular service records.
Yes, it is true; but even Joe Salesman had problems with the 17K OCIs. It took the Fleet Manager to review and say--"It's fine; give him what he is asking for it." TBT - I believe the days of long OCIs are going to disappear over time--especially with the advent of GDI and TGDI engines. I know there is no way I would run either of my MBs on extended OCIs

Originally Posted by Uregina09
I remember 2015_PSD said the dealer gave him more for his 2010 F150 trade when he showed him the stack of UOA reports. I dont doubt the dealer sweetened the deal to make the sale, but I'm sure the reports showing OCIs of up to 17k miles were shredded immediately. Joe Public doesn't understand or care about UOA reports, but is appalled when oil is changed so infrequently. I know I and many others (not DNewton) would move on to the next vehicle with more regular service records.

Originally Posted by demarpaint

27.gif

Trav and I have discussed this a few times, and had a few good laughs in the process. He is what I consider an extremely knowledgeable enthusiast. We both agreed to run, not walk away from those deals. A stack of UOA's are impressive, I have a few myself. The purpose was not to stretch the last possible mile out of an OCI. I was more concerned with finding coolant, poor air filtration, and fuel dilution.

I bought my son an 04 Taurus (not what he wanted lol) because the older man that owned it had a glove box full of dealer serviced 5k oil changes. My old neighbor was an engineer for Nissan and did some projects for ford. He ran Mobil 1 for 10k for years with no issues. To each their own. Although he did run from Detroit to Chicago and back continuously so I'd call it 8k of highway miles.

Originally Posted by addyguy
I've got close to 18k miles on M1 10W-30 EP in my Soul, with one quart of top off oil, generic 5W-30. Oil isn't completely black and sludgy, but is very, very dark.

Not great, but doing fine.

Doing fine today..... but maybe not tomorrow. When things turn sour in these dirty engines, they turn sour quickly overnight mostly.
Take better care of your engine and keep it clean.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back