Service Champ Filter Cut Open ~10,000kms

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Sayjac
Here's the video of it's older cousin the 1.6L Escape. Guess they thought the 1.6L was so well done, they'de repeat with the 1.5L. Good call.
smirk.gif

At least the filter on the 2.0L Ecoboot in the Ford Escapes is vertical base up with nothing in the way below the oil filter.

My friend is not the least bit mechanically inclined. She said that she pays $90CDN at Jiffy for semi-synthetic along with this filter.

I can pick up PP and Fram Ultra $45 CDN.

Saves her money and I like to think this will prolong the engine life, but the way she treats her cars it might not matter.

Originally Posted by mcwilly
My friend is not the least bit mechanically inclined. She said that she pays $90CDN at Jiffy for semi-synthetic along with this filter.

I can pick up PP and Fram Ultra $45 CDN.

Saves her money and I like to think this will prolong the engine life, but the way she treats her cars it might not matter.

LOL well I guess if she appreciates your efforts its probably worth it
lol.gif

At least the filter on the 2.0L Ecoboot in the Ford Escapes is vertical base up with nothing in the way below the oil filter.
Yep, seems they were able to successfully figure that one out. I'm just amazed that with the newer 1.5L engine, it appears they didn't feel the need to modify the location and access. Perhaps they figured the extra cc of space as compared to 1.6L would really help in accessing the filter.
smirk.gif
What the heck though, in baseball 1 out of 3 is good batting average.

Originally Posted by hallstevenson
I also spent a minute trying to figure out if I dropped the bolt gasket, then when I wiped it off saw that there is an integrated gasket made of rubber or silicone or something of the sort.

Is there supposed to be a gasket ? We have a 1.5L Fusion and I always had slight leakage at the drain bolt. Even using a torque wrench for the "proper" tightening made no difference. I put on a Honda aluminum crush washer last time and it solved the problem. Well, I checked after a week or two or longer (??) and it was good.
I'm not sure, there was definately no gasket on this 1.5L, I usually flip them and use them twice.

If the gasket stopped the leak, keep using it.
Just confirmed that there is supposed to be a sealing device on the 1.5L EB's drain plug. Ford calls it both a gasket and an o-ring and it's listed as a separate p/n from the plug so I presume that means it's not integrated into the plug.

https://parts.lakelandford.com/p/Fo...g-Oil-Drain-Pan/54134229/F5TZ6734BA.html

Originally Posted by hallstevenson
Just confirmed that there is supposed to be a sealing device on the 1.5L EB's drain plug. Ford calls it both a gasket and an o-ring and it's listed as a separate p/n from the plug so I presume that means it's not integrated into the plug.

https://parts.lakelandford.com/p/Fo...g-Oil-Drain-Pan/54134229/F5TZ6734BA.html

Interesting, I will have to keep an eye on it.

I'm guessing the Jiffy Lube guys must have skipped it 10,000kms ago, so hopefully it can wait for the next change.

Edit: reading a number of forums on fordescape.org, it does appear that the rubber o-ring is integrated into the plug. It can be replaced but some people talk about them lasting the life of the vehicle. Whereas others have issues and have to replace them.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back