craigslist.org to start charging $5 to list a vehicle

Status
Not open for further replies.
Staring on April 15, 2019, craigslist will charge $5 to post a vehicle for sale.
As I've said years ago, craigslist will eventually charge to post services and things for sale on their website.
It doesn't bother me. If you've noticed, craigslist doesn't capitalize it's name so I didn't either.

Any idea if it affects already existing ads? I am kinda depending on it atm.

I hope it cuts down on the spam ads, but on the same token, now I'll be paying just to post my ad... and to inevitably receive a bunch of
40.gif
. I personally hate posting anything even for free because of the nonsense you have to put up with. But paying for it?!?
31.gif

Thought they already charge for jobs or something...

I'm ok with it. Still cheaper than eBay and maybe it will cut down on some of the garbage and some of the folks who post the same thing in every location.

Maybe it will weed out the clowns. Clowns as in people that post their cars for WAY too much money....know the ad is free anyway.

This is great-- they're super cluttered with spam and crap. OTOH there might be a bunch of dealers with advertising budgets overloading the service.

They need to let paid ads get flagged down for miscategorization or people putting in $55 when they mean $5500 or $55/week.

There remains Facebook Marketplace... for now.

Good. It'll weed out a lot of junk, and the same car listed 20 times over.

That is great news. Tons of spam/ fraud, and curbers listing vehicles on Craiglist, blocking out legitimate sellers.

If you still want free, i imagine facebook marketplace, letgo, and offerup are viable venues. But I'll admit that Craigslist is still the first go-to.

Hopefully it puts an end to all of the dealers who list under "Owner" now to avoid the already $5.00 dealer fee per vehicle. This should at least make them pay $5.00 per vehicle now even if they list under "Owner".

I think they should be charged for every model they list (which trashes search function).

Necessary move. Here, the dealers outnumber the private sellers in the "by-owner" section. That's before even figuring in the overposting. There are some vehicles posted 30 times a day. Scrolling through, I can't unsee them (yes, I know that is the point).

A welcome change.

Good, I hope it lessens the amount of "Only $10K! I know what I have! Only 250K HIGHWAY miles!" ads. Although I hope CL will consider allowing listings for free if the asking price is less than $600 for the cars that might be spared from scrapyards. Although even the 15 year-old "mechanics special" cars in my area are listed for thousands.

Originally Posted by ruhroh
Good, I hope it lessens the amount of "Only $10K! I know what I have! Only 250K HIGHWAY miles!" ads. Although I hope CL will consider allowing listings for free if the asking price is less than $600 for the cars that might be spared from scrapyards. Although even the 15 year-old "mechanics special" cars in my area are listed for thousands.

Agree in principle but they'd just type $22 then you'd read it and he's say $2200 in the text.

There's still the auto parts section, where presumably you could put the whole car.

I have always found it annoying that DEALERS list their vehicles in the 'By Owner' section of CL. Maybe CL should start charging the OBVIOUS dealers and leave it FREE for individuals selling THEIR car (not cars that they bought at the Auction and are flipping for profit....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back