Mobil 1 EP or Pennzoil Ultra Platinum (0W-20)

Wife's 2015 Murano uses dealership Mobil Super Synth 0w20. My 2015 Juke I prefer to use 0w20 PPUP (I get 2-3MPG more vs the Mobile dealership used).

Don't think you can go wrong either way. For what it's worth, Pennzoil is the 'advertised' oil of the Nissan GTR.

Mobil fan boy here. But if you or your engine can find a (demonstrable) difference between these 2 oils you sir will be a BITOG superhero.

Donate the two choices to a needy neighbor and buy Amsoil.
28.gif

One thing about the PUPPP 0W-20 is that it has a very thin base oil and a lot of VII. That's why it has a much higher Noack than the PPPP 0W-20. It also lacks dexos1 certification.

It's at the bottom of the list for the base-oil viscosity (what I call high-temperature, full-shear viscosity [HTFSV]), only above the ultra-high-VI TGMO 0W-20 SN.

Some other popular oils such as the M1 HM 5W-30, M1 HM EP 5W-30, M1 AP 0W-20, and M1 AP 5W-30 (however, some data gathered for the M1 AP is from the MSDS and may not be accurate) also did poorly:

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/foru...erature-full-shear-viscosity#Post5072263

There are other surprises as well, such as the Valvoline Advance Synthetic (VAS) 5W-20 being virtually a monograde and making it to near the top of the list while the Valvoline "Modern" Engine Oil (VMEO) 5W-20 packing an incredibly and unnecessarily high dose of VII for a 5W-20 and being near the bottom of the list for having a very thin base oil.

Originally Posted by Gokhan
One thing about the PUPPP 0W-20 is that it has a very thin base oil and a lot of VII. That's why it has a much higher Noack than the PPPP 0W-20. It also lacks dexos1 certification.

It's at the bottom of the list for the base-oil viscosity (what I call high-temperature, full-shear viscosity [HTFSV]), only above the ultra-high-VI TGMO 0W-20 SN.

Some other popular oils such as the M1 HM 5W-30, M1 HM EP 5W-30, M1 AP 0W-20, and M1 AP 5W-30 (however, some data gathered for the M1 AP is from the MSDS and may not be accurate) also did poorly:

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/foru...erature-full-shear-viscosity#Post5072263

There are other surprises as well, such as the Valvoline Advance Synthetic (VAS) 5W-20 being virtually a monograde and making it to near the top of the list while the Valvoline "Modern" Engine Oil (VMEO) 5W-20 packing an incredibly and unnecessarily high dose of VII for a 5W-20 and being near the bottom of the list for having a very thin base oil.

Thanks Gokhan, very informational!

Edit: It's a Nissan Murano 2015, 90% short trips daily and OCI is 6 months or mileage (usually 6 months since I don't hit the mileage).
M1 EP 0W-20 is PAO/POE and PPPP/PUPPP 0W-20 are GTL. So, there is no competition here, with M1 EP 0W-20 being a true full synthetic, even under German law. It's a clear choice to go with M1 EP 0W-20.

Agreed. Assuming additive packs are equivalent, base PAO is superior to GTL base. However, for a typical user that will hardly make any difference. Maybe if you are pushing engine to extreme temperatures, racing and etc.

Last edited:
Back