Why so many sub-2 liter cars with CVTs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If I see another sub-2 liter I4 with a CVT I'm going to freaking jump off a bridge. This is depressing. Am I really heading back to VW?
hooked.gif

I dunno, most consumers just plain don't care--as long as it makes out out of warranty (which is likely beyond their planned length of ownership) why should they care? Point A meet Point B, lather rinse repeat.

On the plus side, once these become dominate, parts should get cheap(er). Maybe they'll make for good vehicles on the used market, once teething pains go away.

And virtually every review I see/read mentions the 4-cylinder being underpowered for the particular vehicle being reviewed.

Friends of ours could care less what's under the hood so long as it has enough power to pass on the highway, enough room for them and the family, and the warranty lasts until the end of the payments.

They also take it to the dealer for everything.
smirk2.gif

When payments are done it gets traded in and a new vehicle starts... Perpetual "Never Never" club.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by StevieC
Friends of ours could care less what's under the hood so long as it has enough power to pass on the highway, enough room for them and the family, and the warranty lasts until the end of the payments.

smirk2.gif

When payments are done it gets traded in and a new vehicle starts... Perpetual "Never Never" club.

To be fair, dealer is more competent and cheaper/same cost as any other shop, in my experience.

Originally Posted by Ws6

smirk2.gif

To be fair, dealer is more competent and cheaper/same cost as any other shop, in my experience.

If you get a good one that doesn't break stuff or leave things missing because they don't "care" and I was more referring to things like oil changes, tires, cabin air filters. Things where it's more economical to shop elsewhere. Also from the standpoint of just that they are "renting" the vehicle instead of paying it off and keeping it running as long as possible and banking the savings from that and by shopping around for tires / oil changes / cabin air filters etc.

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
You don't want boring? Drive a Tesla Model 3.
Just sayin'...

I'm not a good candidate for an EV due to the lack of charging space.

smirk2.gif

Well if they don't have the means, the space, or the flexibility to DIY can you blame them?

Last edited:
Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl
Well if they don't have the means, the space, of the flexibility to DIY can you blame them?

Have access to all my dad's tools from his shops and doing work for all the family/friends now that my dad can't any longer, I have offered but they are content spending big $$$ at the dealer so I gave up. Bugs me because that's money they could be saving for their kids education. (Bugs me as the godfather to one of them) But whatever I guess.
frown.gif

Well if they don't have the means, the space, of the flexibility to DIY can you blame them?

Have access to all my dad's tools from his shops and doing work for all the family/friends now that my dad can't any longer, I have offered but they are content spending big $$$ at the dealer so I gave up. Bugs me because that's money they could be saving for their kids education. (Bugs me as the godfather to one of them) But whatever I guess.
frown.gif

Ah yes, well as far as paying dealer for repairs I agree. They probably don't want to have you work on their cars because they value your friendship more than saving $$ on an occasional repair.

Just sayin'...

Most people don't have your bank roll for such a signature full of fine autos!

most of those small naturally aspirated engines are very DOGGY aka subaru's my sis has. good luck with the CVT never for me + the fact CVT's are said to be cheaper to build is likely a driving force as well.

Thank the government for CVT's. Without the CAFE mileage requirements they would have continued to use conventional automatics. Mazda, VW and Toyota still do on most vehicles.

I think it has to do with extracting the most power, economy, emissions and computer control out of a power train at the lowest cost possible. That's why the CVT IMO.

I did enjoy my two Subarus with CVTs, 2012 Legacy and 2016 Forester. Big preference to the Forester though. I have driven many Nissan Rogues from their inception in ~2007 up to 2019. I don't think that 4cyl and CVT poiwertrain is awful to drive, but it's not great. On the other hand, our big, heavy 2016 Nissan Quest with a VQ35 V6 and CVT has power galore and is a pleasure to drive.

Originally Posted by NO2
Thank the government for CVT's. Without the CAFE mileage requirements they would have continued to use conventional automatics. Mazda, VW and Toyota still do on most vehicles.

Ya, I'm eyeing the Jetta GLI of all things. Seems that is only comes with the 7 spd DSG as far as the AT is concerned. Gosh talk about coming full circle 20 yrs later.

Last edited:
Just sayin'...

smirk2.gif

Well if they don't have the means, the space, or the flexibility to DIY can you blame them?

Well Mercedes still has the 2 liter turbo engine in their E class. I think it's up to a 9 speed.

Originally Posted by Wolf359
Just sayin'...

smirk2.gif

Well Mercedes still has the 2 liter turbo engine in their E class. I think it's up to a 9 speed.

Too much $$ and I'm not that old yet.

Heh, I remember when "everyone" complained about slushboxes and how they'd rather have manual transmissions. Now it's everyone complaining about CVT's and how they'd rather have conventional automatics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back