New Harley synthetic 80w-140 gear released

Status
Not open for further replies.
I dropped off my Superglide last week for the 40,000 mile dealer service. I picked it up last Friday and noticed the transmission oil was "severe gear lube 75w90" per my work order/receipt but not the 80w140 mentioned here. I forgot my Redline Shockproof transmission oil at home but I'm ok with this. I did take my Redline 20w50 oil for the engine. I'll change back to the Redline transmission oil next oil change. Apparently Harley has indeed went to gear oil instead of 20w50 for their transmission services.

Originally Posted by gman2304
I dropped off my Superglide last week for the 40,000 mile dealer service. I picked it up last Friday and noticed the transmission oil was "severe gear lube 75w90" per my work order/receipt but not the 80w140 mentioned here. I forgot my Redline Shockproof transmission oil at home but I'm ok with this. I did take my Redline 20w50 oil for the engine. I'll change back to the Redline transmission oil next oil change. Apparently Harley has indeed went to gear oil instead of 20w50 for their transmission services.

ummm.. Dealers are independent and just the fact that they are using after market fluids surprises me, in no way does that mean other dealers are doing the same, then again, I never get fluid changed at dealers, just surprised, you would assume since you are paying so much more money that you were getting OEM stuff instead of Super Tech type stuff, though, nothing wrong with that either..

It will be interesting to see if anyone notices, after a few thousand miles any difference between the 80/140 or not. In HD forums, many have said they noticed no difference with gear oil and went back to Formula+. Others of course had perfectly different results and love the stuff.
The 140 might be appealing to me in my HOT climate (except winter ha ha) but then again, at double the cost maybe not for something I change every year.

I just noticed that I can buy Super Tech 85w140 for less then $14.00 a GALLON, which is many oil changes instead of $19.00 a QUART from HD and Redline, again, not saying I will or wont but my interest in oils says maybe one day I will try it to see if a difference that others notice.

I wonder if your dealer is charging, $20.00 a quart for what cost them $3.25 in Super Tech type pricing? Sorry , nothing directed at you, I dont trust dealers and most anyone with my vehicles until they prove I can trust them. I dont like surprises like you describe, I like to be shown and told in advance, that builds trust.

Last edited:
Also, related to the Red Line (sorry we went off topic)

Redline actually says "Film thickness greater than an SAE 75W250, yet low fluid friction like 75W90" and the SDS list "Viscosity: 28.8 cSt @ 100°C; 186.5 cSt @ 40°C".

Originally Posted by DuckRyder
Also, related to the Red Line (sorry we went off topic)

Redline actually says "Film thickness greater than an SAE 75W250, yet low fluid friction like 75W90" and the SDS list "Viscosity: 28.8 cSt @ 100°C; 186.5 cSt @ 40°C".

28.8 cSt @100
So safe to say this is a something/140?

SAE Charts

Last edited:
Originally Posted by DuckRyder
Isn't "Severe Gear" an Amsoil name?
. Yes it is. I didn't read my work order until I got home. I'll ask about it the next time I'm in.

My local HD Dealer sells Amsoil engine, transmission & primary products behind there service counter in plain view. I wish the Motor Company the best wishes on moving there new Heavy Synthetic Gear Oil 80W-140 for transmission/primary @ $19.95 ea. I'm not complaining on cost since I pay $18.95 ea for Spectro Platinum 6-Speed full synthetic 75W-140 transmission oil. Ran it in my 08 FLHRK for 55,000 mi with zero issues until I sold it.

I know it's not exactly the same as the op's synthetic, but I've used Bellray 85w-140 (dino) in my softail transmission for roughly 11k before I sold it. Shifted alot smoother than the stock 50w.
With the 50w in the trans, it clunked and slammed every shift.
The 85w-140 made shifting like buttery smooth. Quiet.
Wasn't even my idea to put it in, the dealership recommended it.

Anyone have any insight as to why Harley went away from Syn 3 in all three holes to 80w-140 in the tranny and primary ?

To sell more oil maybe?
Compete with others who may use other gear lubes?
MY 14 Road King did not come with Syn 3. It uses Formula+ which I continue to use.

So you now have 3 different HD oil choices or any combination of after market.

I just saw this and am interested in some's claims that thicker oil in the Harley transmission reduces 'clunk' and problems finding neutral. I have never tried anything thicker than 20W50 in the tranny.

How does the new HD oil compare Viscosity-wise to this Amsoil product? (I dont know how to turn their viscosity spec into a "XWY" format.)
Synthetic V-Twin Transmission Fluid
data sheet

I suppose I could just select a quality gear oil similar in viscosity:
Amsoil heavy gear oil
That stuff is the same price as the HD product - yikes!

Originally Posted by EVOFXDWG
How does the new HD oil compare Viscosity-wise to this Amsoil product? (I dont know how to turn their viscosity spec into a "XWY" format.)
Synthetic V-Twin Transmission Fluid
data sheet

Use this. KV at 100C = 20.7 cSt looks to be in the upper range of SAE xW-90 gear oil or xW-50 weight motor oil. Looks to be much thinner at 100C than the Harley 80W-140.

Oil Viscosity Rating Chart.jpg

I researched a bit more and......

Kinematic viscosity units conversion
1 cm^2/s = 100 cst
1 cm^2 = 100 mm^2
100 mm^2/s = 100 cst
1 mm^2 = 1 cst

AMSOIL Synthetic V-Twin Transmission Fluid (MVT)
Kinematic Viscosity @ 100°C, cSt (ASTM D445) . . . . . . 20.7 cst OR mm^2/S
Kinematic Viscosity @ 40°C, cSt (ASTM D445) . . . . . . . 190.3 cst OR mm^2/S
ViscosityIndex(ASTMD2270)............................................ 127

Scroll down to see the gear oil table on this site: https://wiki.anton-paar.com/en/sae-viscosity-grades/

So the Amsoil stuff is in the xW110 range (high temp, summer) SAE gear oil viscosity grade.
(havent found a table for 40C gear oil viscosity)

Reply to ZeeOSix: That nomogram has a note that it applies only for VI 95 oils. The VI, I think, is related to the slope of the viscosity between 40c and 100c. So that fixes the relationship between the two scales on the left. The Amsoil product sheet says VI is 127. That may account for the the diff in my and your answers.
That said, yes the Amsoil is thinner than the HD, but 110 (Amsoil) vs 140 (Harley), at 100C.

I think I will pick up the HD product at next change and see if it provides a bit more cushion at gear changes.

I am NOT an expert on this stuff. Can someone who is validate my logic?
Anybody know where I can find a similar Gear oil table for 40C? Or a calculator or nomogram for VI 127?

Last edited:
Originally Posted by EVOFXDWG

Reply to ZeeOSix: That nomogram has a note that it applies only for VI 95 oils. The VI, I think, is related to the slope of the viscosity between 40c and 100c. So that fixes the relationship between the two scales on the left. The Amsoil product sheet says VI is 127. That may account for the the diff in my and your answers.
That said, yes the Amsoil is thinner than the HD, but 110 (Amsoil) vs 140 (Harley), at 100C.

I think I will pick up the HD product at next change and see if it provides a bit more cushion at gear changes.

I see that now ... so yeah, agreed that Amsoil is still thinner. I'd go with the thicker at 100C Harley oil too.

Hmm, Harley sells oil that they don't make, they buy it from some supplier and put it in bottles with their name on it. No API symbol can be found on any of their oils. Walmart does the same thing, but just about all their oils carry the API symbol. Harley recommends their oil or who ever's oil that is in their bottles. They ask premium price for it also. Walmart says you can use their oils which carry an approval rating from API, also. But their prices are pretty much the best around. So if a manufacturer doesn't list a spec for their product, or at least have it meet some API specs for gear oil, and want's to charge top dollar for it, does it make sense to pay more for it? Alot of people on here live by if it "meets the manufacturers spec" use it. But what if no spec is given?.,,,

Old thread. But new rider looking at 6 speed lube. Regarding Shockproof, their is a Blackstone UOA from a GM diff that has two shockproof analysis. One shows it as 37@100cst, the prior test 32@100cst.. That would definitely quiet things down...

Shockprrof UOA - GM Diff

"37@100cst, the prior test 32@100cst" ... more correctly written it would be 37 cSt @ 100 C and 32 cSt @ 100 C. Viscosity at 100 C (212 F) is also knows as "KV100" (Kinetic Viscosity @ 100 C).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back