Interesting avoidance (moose) tests

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let's make this thread interesting
smile.gif

I shudder to think how my Sienna would have handled that. I think that definitely would have hit the moose!

That was interesting, thanks for posting.

Originally Posted by paulri
I shudder to think how my Sienna would have handled that. I think that definitely would have hit the moose!

Not sure. I drove that 2nd generation as rental a lot in my previous job. Minivans are low to the ground. When I was buying my SIenna I found it more surefooted than Highlander.

Originally Posted by paulri

Not SIenna, but still a van.

Better visibility + easier to get into = high center of gravity

Old man pillow suspension + high center of gravity = poor agility

It's pretty insane that you can lift wheels in a stock CUV with junk OEM tires.

I'm glad we don't have moose on Long Island. I doubt either of my Jeeps or E-150 would fare well in the moose test.

The Tesla does not pass the test? Is 77 km per hour the minimum to pass? The video shows us that the Tesla could not accomplish the avoidance maneuver without hitting cones at even 72 km per hour.
Was it Mercedes first generation A-Class that didn't pass this test in Sweden and flipped on its side? Rumor had it that this prompted Mercedes to buy the Swatch(yes, the watch manufacturer)car and re-brand to Smart.
Fun to watch.

Does anyone consider an Impreza a CUV? But it's got a boxer engine, which definitely lowers the center of gravity.

My Spanish sucks. What were they saying?

I do remember in the 90s (I think) the San Francisco Police Department tested out Ford Explorers as possible patrol vehicles and promptly flipped one over in a handling test. Yet these days it's the most common police vehicle on the road.

Originally Posted by 555
The Tesla does not pass the test? Is 77 km per hour the minimum to pass? The video shows us that the Tesla could not accomplish the avoidance maneuver without hitting cones at even 72 km per hour.
Was it Mercedes first generation A-Class that didn't pass this test in Sweden and flipped on its side? Rumor had it that this prompted Mercedes to buy the Swatch(yes, the watch manufacturer)car and re-brand to Smart.
Fun to watch.

That pushed Mercedes to introduce ESP. That to moose test now all cars have ESP.

Originally Posted by demarpaint
I'm glad we don't have moose on Long Island. I doubt either of my Jeeps or E-150 would fare well in the moose test.

How about deer swerving test???
smile.gif

I did this exact same move avoiding a huge buck at the foot of the Coleman bridge going home... That deer was huge... Must have been 12 point plus buck. He looked like a doggone elk
lol.gif

Was not expecting him there.. guess he was thinking of crossing that 3/4 mile long high rise bridge.

Originally Posted by Garak
Higher ground clearance (and therefore likely higher centre of gravity) has its benefits, and as seen above, its tradeoffs.

I think my truck might just be high enough--it'll roll onto the hood, but it shouldn't land on the roof. Might roll into the windshield though. One upshot to being such a tall vehicle.

I know I'd hate to do a sudden swerve in it--I don't know what'd give first, tires rolling over, rear swapping around or just plain roll over.

Of course, there's always the other downside I didn't mention. You don't want to hit a moose in a little car, so the avoidance better work, or the moose will be on your lap.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back