(USED) Fram PH8170

From my Briggs Intek 18.5, used about 35 hours with M1 15W-50. Installed a Briggs 492932S and Delo SynBlend 10W-30. Note the construction compared to the PH3614 most recommend; looks like a Fram Racing filter. I like the clicker bypass valve.

Enjoy:

IMG_20181222_125335.jpg

IMG_20181222_125408.jpg

IMG_20181222_125346.jpg

IMG_20181222_125350.jpg

IMG_20181222_125403.jpg

???
"Clicker Bypass" - - this looks for all the world like a Champion Labs made filter (same as ST back before they were ever E-core or Wix "pro-select" style)

Originally Posted by blupupher
Wow that thing is tiny.

Doubt that a Briggs Intek 18.5 has high flow oil pump, so don't need a big filter.

A rebadged Champ Labs made filter. OPE Application. Low volume sale application, subbed out. A google image search this site will indicate in 2014 PH8170 made by a different manufacturer. Had metal endcaps too but a coil compression spring and was in Made in India.

Originally Posted by sw99
Looks great. I think my riding mower uses a similar filter. Thanks for posting.

A local garage had the Briggs 492932S in stock and sold it to me for $6.

Can't go wrong with the factory filter once a year.

To each their own, however 'space permitting' in this application I'm going with a 3614 equivalent, Wix/Napa Gold 5/1348 or Motorcraft 910S. Been running the NG 1348 in Kohler engine. Haven't seen many OPE applications where it didn't fit. Automotive application filters can include a silicone adbv in place of nitrile for the less cost ime. 910S good example of WM off the shelf,
Unless something has changed recently, B&S filter interior posted here looks identical to topic filter.

Yep that's it - same filter different paint.

I considered the 3614 but I'd have to modify or remove a trim panel to fit it on my Kubota.

where did u get this filter from ?

It's a special order from most sources as many use the Fram 3614
or equivalent.
Wal-mart has it on it's web site but it's a third party item and shipping is charged.

My 2¢

Originally Posted by dwendt44
where did u get this filter from ?

It's a special order from most sources as many use the Fram 3614
or equivalent.
Wal-mart has it on it's web site but it's a third party item and shipping is charged.

My 2¢

Is 3614 same length as original filter ? I just went look at my mower and the filter mount side way and it almost hit the plastic behind it . I wish the filter mount up side down or down side up instead of side way .

Originally Posted by MetalSlug
OP I think we have the same engine, where did u get this filter from ?

I bought it from Amazon.

Looks good! I've used these a few times on the Kohler Command 22hp my grandfather has on his Scag mower. It is a bit smaller than a 1348 sized filter but well built. I have to use this smaller size on the mower because of clearance issues with the frame next to the engine. A 1348 sized filter is just a tad bit too long to get onto the engine with the frame in the way. It currently has a Wix 57035 on it.

FWIW, I have since been running the STP 3600ML filters I bought when they were on clearance a while back. Went back to M1 15W-50 as well since my 10W-30 stash dried up.

My tractor is a Husqvarna, not sure why I said Kubota above. I did trim the side panel - now the oil filter *just* rubs the hood.

Back