Variable speed air conditioner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone here have one and what is your opinion of it? I know you need a proper furnace or air handler with a communicating thermostat.

I have 1 ductless mini split that has a variable speed compressor / indoor fan .

Nice ! :)

I understand the conventional split systems are moving in that direction . I read the indoor fan motors are very expensive to replace , it it goes out .

My experience was with the split systems. In our case the energy efficiency of the unit was excellent. The variable speed fan was just one part of the system. We had built in sensors that detected activity, light intensity, and position of people.

After five minutes if no activity was detected the unit scrolled down to a very slow speed. Also if you or a few people were in a certain part of the room the inside louvers would adjust to concentrate cooling in that area. As more activity was detected the fan would run faster.

This was a Panasonic system but other brands have similar technology.

Have a brand new 3 ton Amana w/ dual stage Copeland scroll compressor and two speed condenser fan. However, it has not been fired up yet because the outdoor temps are still not warm enough. The two stage Amana gas furnace on the other end of it (96% AFE), also new, has been performing very well. Whole enchilada was installed February 26th.

My opinion is against them, too many parts to break down, sensitive units, ductwork needs to be properly sized with a lot of them. Now days you can get a 16 seer unit with basic components without dual stage compressor and variable speed motors. They do give you 10 year parts and some companies may give 10 year labor but if it breaks down often and you have to be without heat or AC at crucial times than is it worth it ? I myself want simplicity and reliability, id rather pay a fraction more in electricity than have the HVAC tech at my house every other month.
We inherited a 12 year old 16 seer trane unit with the house, blower Module broke last month … $450 part, luckily I had saved a whole squirrel cage assembly from an identical unit from one of our customers that decided to get a new system due to compressor failure. Im going to service this unit until the next major par fails and im getting a simple unit.

Last edited:
From my understanding in other motor control stuff (servo), the motor winding and bearing of the variable speed (modulo / infinite step / 99 steps / whatever marketing call these days) usually don't wear out any worse than single speed single stage motor, but the capacitor and inverter tends to break instead. In general switching power related circuitry are not as tolerant as surges and back current as the dumb magnetic transformer. The trade off is somewhere around 20% of efficiency in the motor and the comfort.

Dual stage / dual speed motor "in theory" should be just as reliable as single if done right.

US tends to have worse power surge than other developed European / Asian power grid, but better than the 2nd / 3rd world power grid in Eastern Europe and Asia.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back