What bottle you use for acetone/atf

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK guys, I have a stupid question for you, I recently open a thread about what is your most preferred penetrating oil.
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/foru...r-very-rusted-nuts-and-bolts#Post5060530
After reading your comments, I notice the acetone/ATF mixture come up very frequently. Since I have some acetone and ATF left in my stock room, I decided to give it a try. I scavenge a medical bottle and spice bottle to keep this potion magic. But oh boy, the acetone is so volatile that I can feel it's leaking while I shake the mixture. So my question what type of container you use (that we can scavenge from a house) which can prevent the Acetone leaking or evaporating. thx

The spices bottle I used is made of glass and medal (cap). But it's not airtight enough and the liquid is still leaking. Now I'm trying with a urine sample bottle. According to the acetone compatibility chart, the bottle should be fine to contain the acetone. I will update if the result is positive.

Originally Posted by lewdwig
Fingernail polish remover bottle.

Good Idea!! Thx for the suggestion!!

It might be that your bottle and cap are fine but the seal on the cap is not acetone compatible.

What I did was wait till my steel can of acetone was 2/3rds empty then put the ATF in it, relabled appropriately of course.

I've used the tall (8 oz.) plastic bottle saline solution comes in for contact lens maintenance.
The little flip top and tiny squeat hole is the best.
It's taken the plastic a LONG time to frost inside.
The bleeder nipples get a shot every time I go under the car.

Originally Posted by Dave9
It might be that your bottle and cap are fine but the seal on the cap is not acetone compatible.

What I did was wait till my steel can of acetone was 2/3rds empty then put the ATF in it, relabled appropriately of course.

Yeah thx...But I'm not a mechanic, I probably use the penetrating oil 4 or 5 times max a year,. This is why I try to mix a small quantity, just enough for 2 or 3 years of use.

Originally Posted by Kira
I've used the tall (8 oz.) plastic bottle saline solution comes in for contact lens maintenance.
The little flip top and tiny squeat hole is the best.
It's taken the plastic a LONG time to frost inside.
The bleeder nipples get a shot every time I go under the car.

Just little update with your idea. I scavenged a little bottle of expired eye treatment (visine). I used a syringe with a needle for ink cartridge refill to fill the bottle. There is a number 23 recycle code under the bottle. But I found nothing for the type of plastic. Usually, medical bottles are made of chemical neutral plastic. So I'm pretty confident the bottle will resist the acetone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back