Future Air Force One arrives in Texas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by 4WD
Is that aircraft journalism or politics … ?

It's a mixture. Sometimes that site tends to blend things. My focus is on the aircraft. She will be something to look at.

I'll bet the old 747 is in great shape. I would love to own a 747. I was in love the first time I saw the 747 and 50 years or so later I still love them.

The planes were once intended to be delivered to a Russian airline, but that never happened after it went bankrupt.

Direct Russian collusion!!!
crackmeup2.gif
lol.gif
48.gif

Originally Posted by RF Overlord
I thought I read somewhere that John Travolta is licensed/certified to fly 747s...Man, that would be one for the history books...a class clown flying President .

https://beam.land/aviation/the-full-story-behind-travolta-s-private-jet-fleet-942
is a good summary of it all.
1. Yes Travolta is trained, on Boeing simulators, to fly a 747-400.
2. Notably, he no longer has his famous 707.
3. He's probably a great pilot, having flown many types over many years.

Originally Posted by CT8
I'll bet the old 747 is in great shape. I would love to own a 747. I was in love the first time I saw the 747 and 50 years or so later I still love them.

I wonder what will happen to those planes? Obviously a museum if they are retired but if in good shape they could be used for support. The other designated planes for the VP etc might be similar in age. I think they are 757 or 767.

The used 747 AirForceOnes retiring would make great airliners if re-fitted. The maintenance has been phenomenal on those. Airlines around the world might want them.

Originally Posted by oil_film_movies
The used 747 AirForceOnes retiring would make great airliners if re-fitted. The maintenance has been phenomenal on those. Airlines around the world might want them.

Cant be done and is a bad idea from a national security standpoint. For one, the whole inside of the plane is probably shielded with lead to shield the occupants from a nucular attack.

Originally Posted by skyactiv
Cant be done and is a bad idea from a national security standpoint. For one, the whole inside of the plane is probably shielded with lead to shield the occupants from a nucular attack.
You're saying there might be a special coating on the inside and/or outside? That'd be fine. If I was flying any airline, I'd want to be protected from radiation.... No kidding it would be good for the extra cosmic rays you get on high-altitude airplanes like that, I'm not joking.

I think they could strip it of all the secret stuff. It would cost. But those are very nice extra-cared-for 747's. Strip'em and replace some external panels where some special antenna was poking through.

Would it be worth it after all the taking out and installing seats, overhead bins? I don't know. Maybe. They will have to strip it anyway, that's for sure, so that part is on the taxpayer's dime no matter what.

Originally Posted by SteveSRT8
An airplane shielded with lead?

Please think about that for a moment!

Exactly. They'd certainly want a concrete compression layer over the lead to reduce impact damage. The lead would shield from radiation and the concrete would shield from percussion.
smile.gif

Originally Posted by PimTac
Originally Posted by CT8

I wonder what will happen to those planes? Obviously a museum if they are retired but if in good shape they could be used for support. The other designated planes for the VP etc might be similar in age. I think they are 757 or 767.

United sent their last 747 to the boneyard. A 741/742 got dissected and trucked up to Burning Man as a art piece that angered BLM and the organization behind the event. I think the old Air Force One will be sent to a museum like the Museum of Flight or the National Air and Space Museum.

Instead of sending it to the boneyard, Cathay Pacific sent the first 777 that flew commercially to a museum. Those older 777s are approaching retirement age. https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/cathay-pacific-boeing-777-aviation-museum/index.html

Last edited:
There is no more appetite for commercial 4 engine airplanes in passenger service, particularly a 747-200, which is no longer in service with any big airline. You wouldn't want a fleet size of two. To carry the spare parts, mechanic training and certifications and flight crew and certifications for two airplanes is prohibitive overhead no matter how "nice" the airplanes might be.

You'll see the old AF1 airframes in a museum, or at Davis-Monthan. The E-4B fleet is still flying, and AF-1 would be a source of spares for that fleet. They are a common airplane.

UA was the 777 launch customer and I rode that plane in the mid 90's …
pretty sparse business class compared to today's offerings …

Fire tanker duty for the old 747-200 ones. Employ old retired ex-747-200 pilots.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/747_Supertanker

1. The taxpayer must pay for stripping all the secret and valuble parts out anyway.

2. The aircraft will start out bare inside, so the tanker company won't spend as much removing seats, etc.

Last edited:
Strip'em and replace some external panels where some special antenna was poking through.

That's where the phased array high gain antennas are located (Rx and Tx) for communication in flight via connection with satellite transponders.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back