Pacific Coast Air Museum in Santa Rosa, CA

I have not been to the PCAM museum in 10 years or so. I went back and enjoyed the small collection of aircraft on display. There were only a few visitors and a group of teen girls who were taking group selfies while giggling hysterically. I have a whole bunch of pictures and I will post them over the next few days. It's just too much to edit in one sitting. This former airfield used to be an Army Air Station During WW2. The museum building used to be a parachute rigging shack.

Let's check it out!

Pitts Special S1 (1945)

BD-5J Gede kit jet plane. A plane like this was flown by James Bond in Octopussy (1983)

Ilyushin-14 engine next to IL-14 (DC-3 knockoff)

Ilyushin-14 Crate (Uzebistan, former USSR), 1954-1960(?). The IL-14 was a DC-3 knockoff.

I took a panorama of the whole aircraft standing on the gangway and panning from left to right. The door was closest to me while the tail and the wingtip were farthest from me - hence the unnatural bloated banana shape

More tomorrow.

Last edited:
Vought F8U Crusader

McDonnell Douglas F15. This particular plane was a 9/11 first responder clearing airspace above NY City after the 9/111 attacks.
Glad to see the Tomcat in the proper colors!

The one you list as an F-8 is in fact, an A-7 Corsair, however. Same basic design, but the F-8 has a variable incidence wing, internal .50s on the fuselage, AB and a pointy nose.

Vought F8U Crusader

McDonnell Douglas F15. This particular plane was a 9/11 first responder clearing airspace above NY City after the 9/111 attacks.
Wasn’t the F15 first where thrust exceeded weight (loaded*) ?
*mission based

Back