Jiffy Lube strikes again

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bet it was that super light 0W00 oil, very hard to see it on the dipstick. Made from Natural Gas, but without the bother of any condensing process.

That would never happen to a BITOG"ER.
lol.gif

No mention of his Oil Pressure red dash light coming on at some point during all the driving he & his wife did on it?
hmmmm.....
[Linked Image]

Last edited:
The thing is if you go to an oil store you check the oil before you drive off if your Mama had a son that can think. But then I'd have to guess its been over 15 years since I've been in an oil store.

What is with news outlets that just transcribe their video stories into print stories ? Reminds of people who do "presentations" and just read off of them word for word.... I always think I don't need to sit here, I can just take this and read it myself !

Lesson I take, with oil and filter change always check the dipstick level before leaving the place of service. Rather a sad story which while not the owner's fault per se, certainly could have been mitigated had he checked the oil level immediately.

Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson

The thing is if you go to an oil store you check the oil before you drive off if your Mama had a son that can think. But then I'd have to guess its been over 15 years since I've been in an oil store.

When I was changing the oil in my fleet van they would always show you at the window what your oil level was before and then after the change so you could see they did change it and it was now clean and full. (Mr. Lube)
I would always double check the level when I got the vehicle home a few kilometers away and check for leaks under the vehicle as well.

Good that he is going to get his money but all of this could have been prevented with a few minutes invested on his part.

Last edited:
I'm not picking up what he is putting down.

He ignores an oil light on the dash, so does his wife.
They continue to drive with increasing noise from the engine.
There had to be a loss of power that would be noticeable or even dangerous.
And the ECM would have stored an oil pressure low code.

I'm not defending Iffy Lube. I've had problems with them myself, but really, there is no doubt in my mind the owner ignored the obvious signs something was amiss.

Originally Posted by PimTac
So this guy drove his van back to JL without adding oil?
Story indicates the oil change was done in late April. They drove it for days (or longer), dealt with his MIL's funeral, and went back to Jiffy Lube on June 20th. Not sure how much mileage was put on it but I'd think the damage was already done at that point.

I haven't really done it that often, but when I've taken a car into a quick lube place I always watch them. Most of them are set up so that people can see what they're doing. Mostly this was before I really started to change my own oil, but one time I just did it for my parents as a favor when I borrowed their car.

I've stood outside of an old service station watching a guy drain the oil, remove the filter, put a new filter in, and drop in 4+ quarts of Castrol GTX (from bottles), and give me the remaining oil. I've been to tuneup shops (or even Jiffy Lube) where I saw them measure oil from the bulk oil rack into a translucent container and watch them do all the work.

Originally Posted by hallstevenson
Originally Posted by PimTac
So this guy drove his van back to JL without adding oil?
Story indicates the oil change was done in late April. They drove it for days (or longer), dealt with his MIL's funeral, and went back to Jiffy Lube on June 20th. Not sure how much mileage was put on it but I'd think the damage was already done at that point.

Yep there is a lot of questions this guy should answer even though the change should have been done correctly. When he started to hear tapping that should have been the clue to pull over and check the oil level. The best option of course is to check it before you leave.

Trust But Verify.

Originally Posted by StevieC
Good that he is going to get his money but all of this could have been prevented with a few minutes invested on his part.

He might not get his money. In the US, with small claims court, the court will make a judgement but they do not enforce it. It's up to him to get the $9000+ from the franchise.

Now, I've heard of some folks who do things like get the police involved and they go and physically take property from the person that they won the case against. There is a procedure that has to be followed, of course, but they are allowed to do this. Take things like their bulk oil, all of their oil filters, computers, etc, etc and it makes it hard to run that type of business ! Of course, what generally happens is they write a check.

I think I, and most of you, would have caught it. However, given the notorious history of JiffyLube, which includes outright fraud they were caught in, I have zero sympathy for JL.

Yea this was a default judgement, real dumb to not show up at least.

The problem is the shop will argue that the owner did not try to mitigate the damages when the oil light came on and they even admitted they checked the oil and there was none. So this will not be a clear win for them if the shop appeals.

He might not get his money. In the US, with small claims court, the court will make a judgement but they do not enforce it. It's up to him to get the $9000+ from the franchise.

Now, I've heard of some folks who do things like get the police involved and they go and physically take property from the person that they won the case against. There is a procedure that has to be followed, of course, but they are allowed to do this. Take things like their bulk oil, all of their oil filters, computers, etc, etc and it makes it hard to run that type of business ! Of course, what generally happens is they write a check.

I would take their power cables lol.

Originally Posted by Env1ous

Could one seize their employees and make them try to fix your car?
;^)

Originally Posted by Virtus_Probi
Originally Posted by Env1ous

Could one seize their employees and make them try to fix your car?
;^)

I mean, yes.. but if they forget to add oil while doing an oil change.. well.. lol!

JL probably won't cough up the money, but it will suffer much more bad publicity than simply paying the guy off. A bad image cost$.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back