becoming auto mechanic in Canada with mechanical background

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does someone have to start from the bottom when changing careers to become a auto mechanic and that person has say 10+ years mechanic background (including fixing cars DIY).

Is any background experience taken into consideration or does one start from scratch?

Thanks

Its a long road from DIY to a successful working mechanic. When I started and possibly Cline too it was probably easier than today but still not easy.

I am not a professional mechanic. That said, I would go to your local, large auto dealer and ask to speak to the service manager- maybe offer to take him to lunch. Tell him up front that you want to pick his brain on how to become an auto mechanic.
I have two friends that are professional mechanics- both Chevy. One went to Lincoln Technical College in Maryland. The other went to Diesel Institute , I think in Nashville.

You can do an adult apprenticeship here...you won't get a job saying you are pretty good at fixing your mates cars at home.

No one cares what you do as a DIY, they want certifications for any trade.

It's difficult in Canada because of credential inflation. You can tell them how good you are at wrenching and how much experience you have in a related field but there is always someone younger than you with a college diploma in their hand. That person will also work cheaper than you will, and the employer will perceive them to be more dedicated initially because they don't have options like you do.

Your best bet is to go to college and study automotive technology, it seems like a lot of work and expense but it will save you time looking for jobs. Someone might hire you temporarily and then cut you loose when they run out of work or get tired of your face. The last thing you want is to quit your job to chase a opportunity and then be looking for a new job six weeks later. The career jobs go to the people who prove their dedication with schooling.

I have no idea what it is like becoming a mechanic, but I've been trying to find a job as an non-union apprentice electrician for a year with limited success. I've worked at a few different places but I wish I had just done it the hard way and attended school. I have a humanities degree and ten years of construction experience but that is meaningless unless you are registered with the college of trades.

Finding good jobs in Toronto is hard, the cost of doing business is high and you have to compete with newcomers who can accept low wages and still qualify for welfare.

Last edited:
There is a shortage of semi and heavy duty diesel mechanics in the United States at least. Most everyone who wants to become a mechanic wants to become an auto mechanic.
I'm a semi mechanic. The shortage is real. We have a newer employee that was making $31 an hour as a diesel mechanic for Wal-Mart transportation. He said they cant find
truck mechanics and the shop was short 4 mechanics which meant everyone in the shop was working 5 ten hour days instead of 4 ten hour days. That is $1705.00 a week before taxes.
I make $36 an hour. I started out at a Honda dealer, quit, went to Nashville Auto Diesel college which is now called Lincoln Tech.

Originally Posted by skyactiv
There is a shortage of semi and heavy duty diesel mechanics in the United States at least. Most everyone who wants to become a mechanic wants to become an auto mechanic.
I'm a semi mechanic. The shortage is real. We have a newer employee that was making $31 an hour as a diesel mechanic for Wal-Mart transportation. He said they cant find
truck mechanics and the shop was short 4 mechanics which meant everyone in the shop was working 5 ten hour days instead of 4 ten hour days. That is $1705.00 a week before taxes.
I make $36 an hour. I started out at a Honda dealer, quit, went to Nashville Auto Diesel college which is now called Lincoln Tech.

Yep. That's where the $$$$$ is at.

I worked for a few months as a service advisor at a truck shop before going back to automotive. The techs there all basically said they would never work on cars.

I looked into it a few years back as I worked enough in my dad's shops over the years I was going to take the next steps to actually get my license. I found out that I could challenge the exams without having to take the in class instruction time for just the cost of the exam fee but that the apprenticeship time couldn't be waived. Now this wouldn't have been a problem because of my dad being able to verify my hours and considering I was working there anyway but just so you know what you are looking at.

Mohawk college had a good program here in the G.T.A.

Good luck.

How old are you?

Can you afford the time to study?

This was my problem when comming to Canada and getting certification. Employers know the older you are the less poop you will take, so the younger guy gets the job.

I take it that the 'Red Seal' in highly regarded in Canada ?

Adept Ape on YouTube is a Caterpillar diesel mechanic and covers what pay to expect in the field.

Originally Posted by Mr Nice
I take it that the 'Red Seal' in highly regarded in Canada ?
From what I understand we have the most stringent trade certifications in North America if not the world. I was working with an an electrician who was trained in the UK and he told me the Journeyman exam he wrote in Ontario was the hardest test he has ever taken.

Red Seal is a certification so you can be recognized anywhere in Canada with your otherwise one province only trade license.

It is a good program for sure and it gives the person the option to transfer to any province and have their license recognized.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Trav
Its a long road from DIY to a successful working mechanic. When I started and possibly Cline too it was probably easier than today but still not easy.

There were Apprenticeships back then that was a good alternative to Tech/Trade school, Although some stuff came harder to me because my lack of formal schooling.

Do Mechanic Apprenticeships even exist anymore? For the last 20+ years....All the inexperienced mechanics that get hired on where I've worked went to a trade school & still have to start at the bottom near minimum wage hourly!

There are VERY few that can start a career right-off on Flat Rate, Even if you can produce quality work with few come-backs.....Your efficiency, Especially on jobs your not familiar with, Will be VERY low.
Being familiar with OE, Alldata, Mitchell or whatever repair software the shop uses will greatly affect your efficiency, Spending 20 minutes to find torque specs won't fly.

In my experience, none of the techs I've worked with recommend it as a career. Today's cars are not something most people enjoy working on.

Apprenticeships are the best way to get your foot in the door. We hire them around $22 hour + OT and lots of OJT.

Six months later.... $25/26 an hour. Decent money for an entry level employee. This is not an automotive repair type job.

Originally Posted by caprice_2nv
In my experience, none of the techs I've worked with recommend it as a career. Today's cars are not something most people enjoy working on.

It's begs the question.....Why are they still doing Auto Repair?? I really, Truly enjoy being a Mechanic!

It's sad that the "under-achievers" of society are the ones pushed toward "Trades", Like it doesn't take a smart, driven person to excel in a Trade?

Originally Posted by maxdustington
No one cares what you do as a DIY, they want certifications for any trade.

It's difficult in Canada because of credential inflation. You can tell them how good you are at wrenching and how much experience you have in a related field but there is always someone younger than you with a college diploma in their hand. That person will also work cheaper than you will, and the employer will perceive them to be more dedicated initially because they don't have options like you do.

Your best bet is to go to college and study automotive technology, it seems like a lot of work and expense but it will save you time looking for jobs. Someone might hire you temporarily and then cut you loose when they run out of work or get tired of your face. The last thing you want is to quit your job to chase a opportunity and then be looking for a new job six weeks later. The career jobs go to the people who prove their dedication with schooling.

I have no idea what it is like becoming a mechanic, but I've been trying to find a job as an non-union apprentice electrician for a year with limited success. I've worked at a few different places but I wish I had just done it the hard way and attended school. I have a humanities degree and ten years of construction experience but that is meaningless unless you are registered with the college of trades.

Finding good jobs in Toronto is hard, the cost of doing business is high and you have to compete with newcomers who can accept low wages and still qualify for welfare.

Have you tried getting into a union apprentice program ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back