How to dispose / recycle Li-Ion batteries?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I took apart a laptop battery to see if I could salvage any good cells-- nope they all measure less than 50% of their rated capacity. I now have 12 cells I don't know what to do with. I've heard throwing them in the household garbage is a bad idea, but I called nearby recycling places and nobody takes them.

I also have a couple old sealed lead acid batteries from a computer UPS that I don't want to throw away either. Tried places that take car batteries, they won't touch them even after telling them they're essentially the same thing.

What do you guys do with this stuff?

Find a guy that vapes. Their gadgets use the cells, and even if he doesn't know, he knows someone who knows something.

Originally Posted by eljefino
Find a guy that vapes. Their gadgets use the cells, and even if he doesn't know, he knows someone who knows something.

I've got a buddy that vapes, I think those vape boxes draw some pretty high amperage (10-20A or more). These are low discharge cells (datasheet says 6 amps max). Might be a recipe for a cool close-up fireworks show.
confused2.gif

Originally Posted by 92saturnsl2

I've got a buddy that vapes, I think those vape boxes draw some pretty high amperage (10-20A or more). These are low discharge cells (datasheet says 6 amps max). Might be a recipe for a cool close-up fireworks show.
confused2.gif

There's enough Youtubes with fire ball vapers to give me some pause on this idea.

Li-ion will burn when crushed. An internal short will form and the electrolyte is volatile.

"Saving cells" arbitrarily, when no management system or other safety devices are available is also problemmatic.

HD, BB, and a host of other stores have battery collection areas for Li-ion. There's copper, aluminum and steel in there that's all recyclable.

Originally Posted by 92saturnsl2

confused2.gif

In other words, you may end up "smoking" anyway. . .
laugh.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back