Oil for 2015 Ford Explorer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello BITOG,

Long time reader first time post. Was wondering what oil to use on my 2015 Explorer? Manual just says to be sure it has the starburst rating?

Short trips with the occasional trip. Really just has about a 12 mile commute everyday. 3.5L V6 (is not the eco boost)

I had a 2010 Taurus and currently have a 2018 with the same 3.5 Duratec and I use Amsoil SS 0w30. If price is an issue for you as it seems to be for some on this forum Pennzoil Platinum 5w30 will serve you well. I use 30 grade because the oiling systems on this motor are the exact same on the 3.5 ecoboost which calls for a 30. Meaning that the crankshaft, bearings, oil pump and clearances are the exact same.

Any of the big name-brands. Prefer those to any house brands. Walmart has the best everyday prices. Use Mobil-1 EP or Castrol Edge EP, if you can afford it. Otherwise Quaker State on the best lower-end name-brand pricing. Priced in the middle are Castrol Black Edge, Valvoline, Mobil-1 reg, Pennzoil and Motorcraft full syn.

Any 5W20 or 5W30 that meets API SN specs and current Ford Specs. It's your money and your choice.
See page 387 of the owners manual.

My wife also has same explorer with V6 but 17. I do use whatever i feel like. 5w20 or 5w30. It has been very good for 40k miles. No burning oil at all.

Currently t filled with M1 5000 5w30.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by s2krunner
My wife also has same explorer with V6 but 17. I do use whatever i feel like. 5w20 or 5w30. It has been very good for 40k miles. No burning oil at all.

No such animal as M1 5000.
Isn't that Mobil conventional oil?

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en

People automatically associate Mobil 1 as the company and not the brand (adding a one is not exactly trying too hard for brand distinction). You know good and well he's talking about Mobil Super ("5000" miles of protection lol since technically it's just Mobil Super).

Last edited:
Mobil 1 5w30 for year round
Mobil will usually have a good rebate this time of year but I have not heard anything about the rebate this spring

Originally Posted by stanlee

People automatically associate Mobil 1 as the company and not the brand (adding a one is not exactly trying too hard for brand distinction). You know good and well he's talking about Mobil Super ("5000" miles of protection lol since technically it's just Mobil Super).

So you like to psychoanalyze? Ever try it telepathically?
Michigan to Virginia is not far. I did it recently to someone in Scotland.

I'll go first..... ready - set - go!

C'mon Stash!.... you ain't participating.
But yeah, you're right. I did know that Mobil Drive Clean 5000 is/was their conventional.
I guess I can't keep a secret around here.

Any of the big name-brands. Prefer those to any house brands. Walmart has the best everyday prices. Use Mobil-1 EP or Castrol Edge EP, if you can afford it. Otherwise Quaker State on the best lower-end name-brand pricing. Priced in the middle are Castrol Black Edge, Valvoline, Mobil-1 reg, Pennzoil and Motorcraft full syn.

What is the logic of paying more when the house brand meets the same specifications and requirements of "name" brands? Motor oil is a commodity and I buy on price.

My Nissan expressly requested the finest 5w30 I could buy at Walmart under 27dollars a jug. The Wife's Subaru didnt care as much, but it did burn though the Pennzoil Platinum like a Pledge goes through PBR at Sigma Phi Delta - so no more of that weasel wee.
Valvoline Advanced Synthetic 5w30. Try and report!
We live for it!

Last edited:

Stanlee is right ... Mobil Super 5000

I believe i paid $15 bucks at walmart, it was hard to beat!!

Last edited:

Stanlee is right ... Mobil Super 5000

I believe i paid $15 bucks at walmart, it was hard to beat!!

Haven't seen it for a while. The online price at WM is about $20. My go to bargain basic oil is Chevron Supreme at $12.42.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back