What should I run in the 09 rabbit trans

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a manual trans rabbit and was wondering what would you guys recommend that I run in it?

Doubt anybody knows if one manual tranny fluid is better than another. Its hard enough with motor oils, and differences between manual tran oils are even more mysterious.
Hard to go 'wrong' with Amsoil products though, from reputation.

The MTG 75w-90 product:
Amsoil recommends https://www.amsoil.com/lookup/auto-...2-5l-5-cyl-engine-code-cbta-m/us-volume/ in their build list.
https://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-prod...smission-and-transaxle-gear-lube-75w-90/
https://www.amsoil.com/lit/databulletins/g2077.pdf

[Linked Image]

Last edited:
That transmission is now spec'ed for VW #G 070 726 A2, which is a very light fluid. 75W90 is no longer the correct fluid.

Ravenol MTF-3 or Redline MT-LV are your best options.

The Critic, why did they make that change? I have noticed a lot of gear oils these days call for a light visc automatic tranny fluid. Tesla differentials use thin ATF, and my hybrid about the same stuff, and those are just gear meshing. .... Still, wouldn't hurt to use 75w90, thicker for less wear.

Originally Posted by oil_film_movies
The Critic, why did they make that change? I have noticed a lot of gear oils these days call for a light visc automatic tranny fluid. Tesla differentials use thin ATF, and my hybrid about the same stuff, and those are just gear meshing. .... Still, wouldn't hurt to use 75w90, thicker for less wear.

Not sure if that is true... I mean, should I run thicker engine oil for the same reason?

I know my Toyota manual does not like Redline MT-90 (?) in cold weather. Wonderful shifting in hot weather, but just awful when the temps drop below freezing. You can hear the engine bog down letting out the clutch at idle. Their MTL (whatever the thin one is) isn't as good in hot weather but at least it can be shifted when cold. We just live with the crunch that the trans does (it's a low quality unit and has always had problems).

Just how hot does a MT get? I mean, for a brief moment the lube between gear teeth probably gets hot, but overall don't most transmissions stay relatively cool?

Originally Posted by oil_film_movies

It's for fuel efficiency purposes only.

Yes, I meant MTG on the 02J transmission.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Trav
Amsoil and Redline in this car it makes for hard shifting, really. The transmission shifts very stiff when its just a little cool outside, use this, it will shift smooth in all temps.
Pentosin MTF II works as well but is discontinued.

https://www.amazon.com/Manual-Trans...fkmr0&keywords=fuchs+titan+600631680

I never had issues with using Amsoil MTG with a 02J transmission, which the MKV Rabbit has. Though mine was with a MKIV Golf, no issues shifting in cold morning single digit Fahrenheit temperatures.

Maybe juice from these?
confused2.gif

Seriously, what is the viscosity spec or type recommended?

If they do specify a LV fluid, then Redline MT-LV is your best option.

Carrots.jpg

Last edited:
NOTE: This list is only a "suggested" list of MTFs. It is not an endorsement of any one fluid, nor is it implied that any one fluid will cure problems in MTs that have design problems or those that have excessive wear.

These MTL fluids are closest to a Kinematic Viscosity of 6.X cSt@100C (About the same viscosity as a Dexron VI) and SAE 70 or so:

Castrol Syntrans FE 75W,
BMW (Pentosin) MTF-LT-3,
Honda MTII or MTF 2.
Ford FML-XT-11-QDC
Volvo Manual Transmission Fluid (6.4 cSt) [Recommended for: type M65 5-speed with 6-cyl. engine, M66, MTX75 and MMT6 and of the type M56, M58 and M59 from and including model year 1996. Meets Ford specification WSSM2C200-D2]
Redline MT-LV SAE Viscosity Grade 70W/75W Vis 6.5cst@100°C

Last edited:
Looks like two different manual transmissions, a five and a six speed.

Seeing both 75W-90 GL-4 and what looks like Dexron VI recommendations...

I would send a sample to Blackstone, and let them figure out what it is...

75W-90 GL-4 - I recommend Mobil 1 Delvac 50...
Dexron VI - I recommend Mobil 1 Delvac ATF...

Originally Posted by rooflessVW
Go to the dealer and buy the correct fluid. You'll probably only do it the one time, so do it correctly.
Good advice. I changed the planetary gearset (tranny) oil in my hybrid recently, which calls for Ford Mercon LV, so I got the OEM Motorcraft fluid. Not that expensive, and it's compatible leftover old original factory fluid that didn't get drained out. Takes the guesswork out if you just use what they originally put in.

Ihmo nothing beats Redline when it comes down to ATF, and gear oils. Amzoil is overpriced marketing hype. Redline sponsors 10,000 hp nhra dragsters, and if there rear ends don't, break, I guess the shock proof gear oil works, so, there 75/90 must also be great. I use it, no issues, also the Redline MTL and MT-90

Originally Posted by mattwithcats

...I would send a sample to Blackstone, and let them figure out what it is...

thumbsup2.gif

An excellent suggestion, then you'll know the approximate FF viscosity minus some shear.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back