2001 CRV no restart when hot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Runs fine otherwise. Power feels normal, freeway or city driving. Idles ok. Starts right up when cold, but for some reason after driving the car 10 minutes+ the car will not restart. It will spin and spin, but will only restart after sitting for many hours, like overnight.

We checked for sparks, got that. We can smell fuel in the cylinders, don't know about pressure. Do you guys think it could be the fuel pump? My friend seems to think so, but I don't know why temperature would affect the fuel pump running or not.

Check your valve lash. Although the usual symptom of valves that have tightened up on that CR-V is stalling when hot, you might want to check them soon. That vintage was known for valves that would tighten up, and that can lead to burning a valve.

Might want to check the main relay as well. They are a known issue in the older Hondas. The solder points have a tendency to lose their connection.

Originally Posted by Kurtatron
Runs fine otherwise. Power feels normal, freeway or city driving. Idles ok. Starts right up when cold, but for some reason after driving the car 10 minutes+ the car will not restart. It will spin and spin, but will only restart after sitting for many hours, like overnight.

When the engine does in fact fail to restart try this:

Turn ON the ignition key, and listen for the fuel pump to prime. You know, that "Rrrrrrt" sound?

If you hear the sound, then do this(on / off) key about 3 times, listening for the pump(Rrrrrrt!) each time.

THEN on the 4th time, just turn the key to start the engine. If the engine starts, you my have a fuel pump prime issue due to one of the lines has a crack/split on the fuel pump itself, inside of the gas tank causing loss of prime. I've had this happen.

And IDKY the engine starts first time when cold(and not when hot) but, this is how they seem to do it for some reason(each time I had an issue). And if this is the case, you can drive the car a loooooong time this way(I have) before needing to replace the fuel pump which is neither difficult nor expensive in a CR-V.

Good luck & keep us posted.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by SubyRoo
Might want to check the main relay as well. They are a known issue in the older Hondas. The solder points have a tendency to lose their connection.

I second this. We had a 2001 Accord and the fuel pump relay board had bad solder joints causing a very similar issue. I touched up the solder on that board and it was fixed.

I will third, fourth, and fifth the main relay. Free fix too if you've got a soldering gun

Thanks for advice guys. My friend is going to install the fuel pump this weekend. Assuming that doesn't work, we'll look at the relay.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back