toro time master won't restart when hot?

It's like it loses compression and the recoil becomes easy to pull, so it won't restart unless you pull it really fast vs on a cold start you can pull it fairly gently and it pops right off. Pulls my stomach muscle when when I pull that cord too hard. End up being sore the rest of the day. it's got like 500hrs on it now, so I don't know if it's worn out or if maybe a simple spark plug would solve the problem. I haven't changed the plug in it yet.

It's like it loses compression and the recoil becomes easy to pull, so it won't restart unless you pull it really fast vs on a cold start you can pull it fairly gently and it pops right off. Pulls my stomach muscle when when I pull that cord too hard. End up being sore the rest of the day. it's got like 500hrs on it now, so I don't know if it's worn out or if maybe a simple spark plug would solve the problem. I haven't changed the plug in it yet.
Change the Spark Plug, 500 hours then check your Valve Clearance. These small mowers do not like to restart when it is hot. I run mine the whole time. If I need a bathroom break, I just keep it running.

Change the Spark Plug, 500 hours then check your Valve Clearance. These small mowers do not like to restart when it is hot. I run mine the whole time. If I need a bathroom break, I just keep it running.
Not normal. It should restart if all is well.

It's not hot outside yet though. It wasn't an issue before.This happens on my 2 strokes. Won't restart when hot, so a new plug fixes it typically. Never had the issue on a 4 stroke though

In addition to the valve clearance, it's not uncommon for a coil to get weak or fail when hot.

Consider it could be overheating. Take the top cover off to check for grass, mouse nests, etc. obstructing the cooling air.

Sounds like the exhaust valve is riding on the cams base circle when it's hot.

Pretty much everyone ignores valve lash.
I thought the lifespan for these residential engines was 500hrs though. Probably just worn out, but I'll check. It's a pain to get the old gasket off. Though. I guess I can use a wire wheel on it.

I thought the lifespan for these residential engines was 500hrs though. Probably just worn out, but I'll check. It's a pain to get the old gasket off. Though. I guess I can use a wire wheel on it.
You were given several good things to check but you sound like you really just want to replace it.. so why ask? This is a tech heavy message board, you had to know that you were going to get more ideas than change the plug or replace it.

You were given several good things to check but you sound like you really just want to replace it.. so why ask? This is a tech heavy message board, you had to know that you were going to get more ideas than change the plug or replace it.
Where did I say I was going to buy a new one? I said I was going to check the valve lash. I'm just not looking forward to scraping the old gasket off the valve cover.

Be nice now.

Back