Good or bad? Special ordering a brand new car?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sometimes, to get exactly what you want, you must order it. Be glad you have the option to do so. Although, typically the higher end models come with all of the desirable options.

You'll probably pay a small premium to order and save by not purchasing things you don't want.

The only 'con' with ordering the car in my sig (I HAD TO order it, since ALL of the dealers in my area insisted on ordering everything for the lot stock of this car FULLY LOADED, and in black exclusively-precisely how I did NOT want it), was the over 4 months it took Ford to build it, and ship it to Doylestown, Pa.
mad.gif
frown.gif

Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl
Originally Posted by Ed_Flecko
I'm thinking of buying a new, 2019 GMC "Canyon" (https://bit.ly/2HgnvUs). The model I want would include what's called the "SLT" package; the primary feature is leather interior.

My local dealers do not have this specific model and they claim that no dealers anywhere near me (Northern California) have it either. They tell me that for $1000 deposit, I can special order the exact model I want, but I'm a little reluctant to special order a vehicle.

I think the primary (potential) disadvantage is that once I place a deposit and order a specific vehicle...it's mine and I'm unconditionally (with probably VERY few, if any, exceptions) committed to buy it.

Does anyone have any "words of wisdom" for me about the pros and/or cons of special ordering a vehicle?

Thank you,
Ed

No it's not yours just because you place a deposit. The dealer may try to get you to feel like it's yours but its not. The dealer has some risk after all because they can be stuck floor planning a vehicle which won't sell if the customer bails.

I think it depends on the state and the dealer. I've read where that even though you place a deposit, if you read the terms of the deposit, it's refundable so the dealer can get stuck with the car on the lot.

As for the price, you should negotiate the price as part of the purchase. Some say that a special order is better and you can get a better discount because in theory the dealer isn't paying any carrying charges to have the car on the floor. Some dealers are more willing to negotiate than others.

My stickshift V6 Dakota was a special order, original buyer backed out and ordered the V8 instead. So it is possible to change your mind. Really, as long as the vehicle is sellable (don't order pink without A/C or something like that), the dealer doesn't mind, as long as they get to keep your money.

I'd say, shop around, then try to order, but be prepared to walk if the price is too high. Make sure you see the true bottom line, documentation fees, value add surcharge, taxes, tag and title, etc., etc. It's really nice to get exactly what you want, at least once in your life.
smile.gif

I sold new cars and trucks, mostly Chevy, over 35 years. I sold many factory orders in that time. They all arrived exactly the way they were ordered. I made sure of that by checking every single one. We took deposits to be sure the buyer was committed but they could get a refund if they didn't take delivery. That was the law. I ordered many for repeat buyers without deposits because I knew they wouldn't back out. They signed the order so there was no doubt about the numbers. If you test drive one on the lot, the one you order will drive the same. The color or the radio won't change the way it drives. Just know that mfg. incentives, rebates, financing may change from the day you order to the day you take delivery. The dealer wants your business today. He is motivated to earn your business now. If he can't find it, it don't exist. But, you should check at least one more dealer.

I don't understand why people think that ordering a vehicle will cost more or that there will be no negotiating. It costs the dealer nothing to special order a vehicle and he doesn't have to end up paying any floor planning costs. I have ordered several vehicles and never had a problem with not being able to negotiate or paying extra to do so.

Just agree on the costs upfront (use Costco, Sams Club, True Car, Car Gurus, etc) to get a good idea of what you could pay and then work from there. As was mentioned, about the only downside is that any incentives can change for the better or worse. It's a gamble you take.

Ford used to allow you to order and lock in the incentive at the time of ordering. If they had gone down or away when you car or truck came in you still got the original incentives. If they had actually gone up, you got the newer better incentives. Not sure if they still use that same marketing. They had a special name when ordering to put that in place. If it wasn't ordered under that program you weren't protected with the incentive guarantee.

No two cars drive alike, so make sure you test drive the ordered vehicle when it comes in. Read any car forum and hear about people complaining about wind noise, tire noise, poor handling or running, etc and others saying they don't have those problems.

On the sales contract, write and have them and you sign it that the sale is contingent upon you accepting the vehicle and that any deposit (which I have usually just put $100.00 down) is fully refundable if you don't purchase the vehicle for ANY reason. Just about any dealership will be glad to have a sale and order your car or truck the way you want it if they can't dealer trade for one.

As mentioned also, if the car is a weird color or equipment optioned order, than expect different rules by the dealer.

Originally Posted by Randy_R
I sold new cars and trucks, mostly Chevy, over 35 years. I sold many factory orders in that time. They all arrived exactly the way they were ordered. I made sure of that by checking every single one. We took deposits to be sure the buyer was committed but they could get a refund if they didn't take delivery. That was the law. I ordered many for repeat buyers without deposits because I knew they wouldn't back out. They signed the order so there was no doubt about the numbers. If you test drive one on the lot, the one you order will drive the same. The color or the radio won't change the way it drives. Just know that mfg. incentives, rebates, financing may change from the day you order to the day you take delivery. The dealer wants your business today. He is motivated to earn your business now. If he can't find it, it don't exist. But, you should check at least one more dealer.

I ordered my '18 Impala the way I wanted it, and it was an easy, smooth process. I just asked for quotes from three dealers on my 'build', and the best quote saved some money. GM incentives saved some more, and I'm satisfied with the price I paid. It's nice to be able to get the options and colors you want.

I've ordered a number of cars and trucks (7 total, 6 Chevys) to get exactly what I want. The last couple of Chevy trucks I bought were off of the lot - I was motivated by discounts, incentives and rebates of $10k and $14k respectively or I would have ordered them also.
You can frequently get an excellent discount because, as mentioned above, the dealer has no flooring cost and he will get to pocket his entire holdback. You also won't have to pay for options you have no use for. Another benefit is if the factory price goes up after the order is made, before it's delivered, you have "price protection" and get the price in place at the time of order. Last, you can, if properly negotiated, avoid dealer Packs like tint, nitrogen filled tires, paint protection and other useless crap that takes money out of your pocket for no value added.
The downside already mentioned is that you can lose rebates and factory incentives if they are dropped between order and delivery.

Greetings-
Only problem is some yahoo driving the s... out of it on a test drive before you buy it. Or the guy driving it over from another dealer maybe 50 miles away for delivery to you and opens it up to see "what she'll do". Get it off the truck and only you drove it. I'll special order mine and take it right off the truck, thank you.

I've ordered 2 new cars and would do it again. You get exactly what you want and know it has very low miles when you get it. Every part of the process is just as negotiable as one you pick off the lot.

Ordered a 2004 Infiniti G35 Sedan 6MT. None were available on the East Coast like I wanted. Placed the order Labor Day Weekend. Due to lead time from Japan and Nissan's ordering at the time I was warned 3-4 months. At the time of order, I put $1000 down. The printed contract said "Non Refundable" I had them write Deposit is Refundable as I had to sell my current vehicle first. I also had an out the door price in writing. Around the middle of January my car came in, I signed the paperwork and was off in my new car for the price stated on the contract. Great, although long experience.

Last year I ordered a new Mustang. Walked in with my configuration, they let me drive one, I picked the options, let them run credit (they said that they did that in lieu of a deposit to ensure I could get financed), signed the order form with price listed and in the middle of April my new car showed up. Signed and off I went. Great experience of approximately 8 weeks.

The only time I'd not expect to discuss price would be a new, hot model like, say a GT350/500, limited edition Camaro, etc. Basically the stuff they are suckering people into paying over sticker for.

I have ordered several new cars and trucks. Got good prices and exactly what I want. I am not going to pay $999 for a sunroof I don't want and I'm sick of lots fulled with BLACK performance cars all alike. I once looked a CTS-Vs at dealer. He had 11 on the lot.....all BLACK.

Originally Posted by ammolab
I have ordered several new cars and trucks. Got good prices and exactly what I want. I am not going to pay $999 for a sunroof I don't want and I'm sick of lots fulled with BLACK performance cars all alike. I once looked a CTS-Vs at dealer. He had 11 on the lot.....all BLACK.

I agree; if I'm paying for a new car I'm getting one equipped exactly the way I want.

European luxury brand tends to know how to make special order work. Toyota on the other hand, I cannot order what I want because "they don't make them like that" even though they have it on a standard configuration. Yup, you lose that bargaining power because they do not have surpluses that they throw money on the hood to ask you to take it off the lot.

I would have saved $3k on my IS if my wife is not picky about the color combination (ext / int). As a result I do not let her buy another car for quite a while because "she ordered what she wanted", and I will not take over her car until at least 10 years. I think my FIL overpaid for a Camry by 7-10k too (XSE hybrid with no roof, grey on silver, etc), it must be in the genes.

I now just prey on dealers with leftover models from last year, and drive far for it.

Originally Posted by PandaBear
European luxury brand tends to know how to make special order work. Toyota on the other hand, I cannot order what I want because "they don't make them like that" even though they have it on a standard configuration. Yup, you lose that bargaining power because they do not have surpluses that they throw money on the hood to ask you to take it off the lot.

I think Toyota might still be stuck with their regional distributors in the US dating to the 1960s, which might be part of why there is not a lot of ordering flexibility. The distributor wants you to buy some stupid "preferred equipment" package they have cooked up, so if you want a particular option, you have to take others with it.

Originally Posted by parshisa
Get any truck on the lot and have the interior swapped out with Katzkin leather. Problem solved

If leather is the only hang up, this probably is the easiest/quickest solution, plus you can store the cloth covers and switch back later if you wanted.

I've ordered several cars, and a few motorcycles. You can still deal on ordered vehicles. Obviously if it's the newest hot model in high demand, your negotiating position is compromised.

Originally Posted by Wolf359
Some say that a special order is better and you can get a better discount because in theory the dealer isn't paying any carrying charges to have the car on the floor. Some dealers are more willing to negotiate than others.

I agree with you.

Dealers lease the cars from the factory - they do not BUY them as some will tell you. The next time you're looking at cars, compare the selling price of the vehicle to the date the car was produced. You'll notice the cars with the older manufacture date have more "bells and whistles" that have been added. That's the dealer's way of trying to recover some of their carrying charges by packing the vehicle with a bunch of profitable "extras" (like undercoating, floor mats, etc., etc.).

I helped my Sister buy a truck for the same price as the "One only at this price" advertisement in the Saturday paper. I looked around the lot, opening door after door, to examine the sticker that said the Month/Year of manufacture. When I found one that was current, I told the salesman that even though that wasn't the one they advertised for the sale price, if they'd sell it for the same price, my Sister would buy it. They agreed and my Sister bought the truck which was thousands of dollars cheaper than any others on the lot.

Ed

Originally Posted by itguy08
I've ordered 2 new cars and would do it again. You get exactly what you want and know it has very low miles when you get it. Every part of the process is just as negotiable as one you pick off the lot.

Ordered a 2004 Infiniti G35 Sedan 6MT. None were available on the East Coast like I wanted. Placed the order Labor Day Weekend. Due to lead time from Japan and Nissan's ordering at the time I was warned 3-4 months. At the time of order, I put $1000 down. The printed contract said "Non Refundable" I had them write Deposit is Refundable as I had to sell my current vehicle first. I also had an out the door price in writing. Around the middle of January my car came in, I signed the paperwork and was off in my new car for the price stated on the contract. Great, although long experience.

Last year I ordered a new Mustang. Walked in with my configuration, they let me drive one, I picked the options, let them run credit (they said that they did that in lieu of a deposit to ensure I could get financed), signed the order form with price listed and in the middle of April my new car showed up. Signed and off I went. Great experience of approximately 8 weeks.

The only time I'd not expect to discuss price would be a new, hot model like, say a GT350/500, limited edition Camaro, etc. Basically the stuff they are suckering people into paying over sticker for.

Pros -- You get exactly what you want (in terms of options) on that new vehicle

Cons -- 1) You may pay more per square inch for that vehicle, since vehicles with the most options (loaded), are discounted more.
Also, the wait is much-much longer and the price could increase a couple hundred at delivery.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back