Rear-view mirror adhesive - forgot to "prime" the button

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any worries? I'm using the standard Permatex rear-view mirror adhesive that goes for $2 at WM. It was somewhat of a pain because I bought it at self-checkout and it triggered a message to check for age because it's glue. Someone is really going to be huffing two drops of rear-window adhesive?

I think I forgot the same thing when I did it last time about 3 weeks ago. I was looking over the instructions which seemed to place the emphasis on using the cleaner/activator towlette on the window, and I totally missed the part about doing the same on the button. I'm thinking that might be why it fell off so quickly. And I forgot to apply that towlette to the button today. I didn't try and scrape off as much as I could. I'm hoping maybe the activator on the window is enough for now.

I figure the worst case scenario is that it falls off again and I do it right the next time. I'm definitely not going to try and remove it.

Last time I did have some issues and ended up trying to reposition the button before it dried. Today I kept it perfectly still for over a minute.

Believe it or not, the best rearview mirror adhesive I've ever used was GE 100% Silicone. That's when using it for bonding metal to glass. And the reason why I used it was because it was the only thing I had laying around one day.

I used this kit twice on my previous Civic, and both times it fell of within a couple of weeks. I followed the instructions to the T, cleaning off the glue, sanding the button, scraping the windshield and lightly sanding and cleaning the painted area the button adheres to, etc.

For the third attempt, I used two-part epoxy. That button lives and dies with that windshield now, most likely. I'd rather buy a new button than waste my time trying to get a kit to work...

It's probably about time to replace the windshield anyways with a fairly long crack. However, the crack is in an area that pretty much doesn't block my view. I've been stopped by LE before (warnings) and not once with anyone say anything about it being a problem. It's a replacement windshield that my insurance paid for over a decade ago after a rock met my windshield on the freeway. It's aftermarket Pilkington with a slightly greenish tint, even though all the OE glass on my car is smoke (Asahi I think). It does seem a bit odd looking forward and I see a green tint.

However, this might have been about the 4th time I've replaced it. One time it fell off a few years ago and it took out a chunk of the glass that stuck to the button. I actually used the Permatex adhesive that time and the chunk actually made it easier to align it properly on the windshield. But when it fell off a few weeks ago that chunk has stayed attached to the rest of the windshield.

I did that repair ~10 years ago using the Permatex rear view mirror adhesive on my 1996 Contour and so far it's still holding. I know I cleaned the windshield but I'm not positive about cleaning the mirror mount
21.gif

Whimsey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back